2026 Dereon Coleman 4* QB from Orlando Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is their plan.

We're gonna take kids we don't have to pay big $ to land out of HS. Kids with tools and traits. They seem to be taking different varieties of players - Judd had the height and projectability, Nickel has the elite gamesmanship, and now Coleman has the athleticism and playmaker ability with a quick arm.

Maybe one blossoms and ends up a starter at some point in their career. Maybe they don't and we portal every year. Safer way to spend a limited amount of money.
1719916933559.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
He’s 165 pounds? 😂😂

I’m not crazy about him, but people keep bringing up his weight like he will be on the field for us next month.

He won’t get to campus for another 17 months minimum and then will likely RS once he is here. His weight is the least of my worries currently as he will put on plenty of weight before he has to take a significant snap likely 3+ years from today.

Advertisement
I’m not crazy about him, but people keep bringing up his weight like he will be on the field for us next month.

He won’t get to campus for another 17 months minimum and then will likely RS once he is here. His weight is the least of my worries currently as he will put on plenty of weight before he has to take a significant snap likely 3+ years from today.
I saw Tyler Huntley play as a freshman on JV and he was probably 5'8 140 - this kid has a bigger frame and stronger arm. There are plenty of guys this size who have succeeded at the college level.

I saw Tyler Huntley play as a freshman on JV and he was probably 5'8 140 - this kid has a bigger frame and stronger arm. There are plenty of guys this size who have succeeded at the college level.

The Murray kid from Oklahoma comes to mind. I saw him in person at a PF Changs in Allen, TX. He's 5'11 max, probably under that.

Not saying this kid is as good as him, obviously

Advertisement
26’ qbs are flying off the board. At this rate you take him because the field is very thin and getting thinner daily.

And he looks pretty good. Long time before he would ever see a meaningful snap.

I don't think he backed into an offer at all. I think he earned it. Dawson's been targeting him for a long time. They waited to pull the trigger on a committable offer until he balled out in front of them against other guys they were also recruiting.

Advertisement
Love that this staff really doesn't GAF about stars. They take who they like and trust their evaluations. I've only questioned a few takes since Mario has been here (Thomas, Russell, and Tripp are the only ones that come to mind off the top of my head)

Most kids we sign pass the eye test in person and outplay their rankings until they're bumped up at the end of the cycle.

They're also getting traction with HS coaches, 7v7 programs, and getting "street cred" (for lack of a better term) taking kids like this that everyone raves about and knows is better than their star ranking. Letting people know if you're a dog we'll find you. Not just local kids. Tri county (Frederique, Russell, Wheatley-Humphrey), most other parts of Florida (Plazz, Emory) , Louisiana kids (Day), Gorman kids (Lofton), Alabama kids (Pruitt, McConathy, and now Merritt) etc. All those dudes were camp offers, recommended by someone else that should know (like Philip Rivers pointing us to McConathy), or came from ties to HS programs like Day/Guidry. All are 3 stars and all are considered dogs by everyone that has seem them play. All seem to be tearing it up in practice/workouts and get rave reviews when they show up to campus.
Mario is connected asf, if P Rivers is in your dm’s you know you are apart of the gang.

I don’t see it with this kid but it is what it is.

Y’all gotta understand, D$ doesn’t just make **** up. When he has these long posts and podcasts where he says, “I think we should spend top dollar on portal kids and not HS recruits” at this position, that’s not his opinion. Read between the lines. It’s pretty obvious what the blueprint is here. So you take a Judd Anderson last year as a true boom or bust kid, and he’s dirt cheap. You take Nickel this class who was a mid 3-star when they got on him but has some real translatable skills, albeit not prototypical measurables so he’s never gonna be a 5-star commanding millions a year. And next class you take Coleman, again a really intriguing prospect but miles away from a sure thing, at a big discount. And you see how you can coach these kids up. If you hit, it’s like getting a good NFL QB on a rookie deal. And if you don’t, you have the bread to go after the next Cam Ward at the absurd number he’s getting this year. This ain’t hard to figure out.

All that being said, this kid isn’t making it move for me. But he’s got some good **** you can’t teach. And Mario is absolutely patterning his program off Saban, where you’re going to have so much overall talent on your team, you don’t necessarily have to have the #1 pick in the draft at QB. Find Carson Beck or Stetson Bennett or ******* Mac Jones and put the Monstars around them.

I don’t see it with this kid but it is what it is.

Y’all gotta understand, D$ doesn’t just make **** up. When he has these long posts and podcasts where he says, “I think we should spend top dollar on portal kids and not HS recruits” at this position, that’s not his opinion. Read between the lines. It’s pretty obvious what the blueprint is here. So you take a Judd Anderson last year as a true boom or bust kid, and he’s dirt cheap. You take Nickel this class who was a mid 3-star when they got on him but has some real translatable skills, albeit not prototypical measurables so he’s never gonna be a 5-star commanding millions a year. And next class you take Coleman, again a really intriguing prospect but miles away from a sure thing, at a big discount. And you see how you can coach these kids up. If you hit, it’s like getting a good NFL QB on a rookie deal. And if you don’t, you have the bread to go after the next Cam Ward at the absurd number he’s getting this year. This ain’t hard to figure out.

All that being said, this kid isn’t making it move for me. But he’s got some good **** you can’t teach. And Mario is absolutely patterning his program off Saban, where you’re going to have so much overall talent on your team, you don’t necessarily have to have the #1 pick in the draft at QB. Find Carson Beck or Stetson Bennett or ******* Mac Jones and put the Monstars around them.
💯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back