2026 Dereon Coleman 4* QB from Orlando Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blah. Outside of the early Nickel eval and find, haven’t been impressed with our HS QB recruiting under this staff.

I have a feeling we will be in the portal for QBs more often than we’d like.
That is their plan.

We're gonna take kids we don't have to pay big $ to land out of HS. Kids with tools and traits. They seem to be taking different varieties of players - Judd had the height and projectability, Nickel has the elite gamesmanship, and now Coleman has the athleticism and playmaker ability with a quick arm.

Maybe one blossoms and ends up a starter at some point in their career. Maybe they don't and we portal every year. Safer way to spend a limited amount of money.

Advertisement
That is their plan.

We're gonna take kids we don't have to pay big $ to land out of HS. Kids with tools and traits. They seem to be taking different varieties of players - Judd had the height and projectability, Nickel has the elite gamesmanship, and now Coleman has the athleticism and playmaker ability with a quick arm.

Maybe one blossoms and ends up a starter at some point in their career. Maybe they don't and we portal every year. Safer way to spend a limited amount of money.
I honestly dont mind this at all. Not saying the guys we are picking specifically are the right ones (I like Nickel a lot) but I understand the approach

That is their plan.

That would be the ole Dorsey /Saban tactic of surround a solid enough guy with elite talent…hopefully at OL and at all skill positions.

We can easily go after last year's top QB if they get jumpy at their current school. Like Qwinn Ewers or Rashada did. Its just a different game now at the position.

Who knows whats gonna happen at Ohio State. They brought in Sayin after recruiting Air Noland out of high school. 2 top 10 players positionally from the same class. We need to have Cam go crazy, get drafted and say to one of them. U wanna be next or what?

Advertisement
Love that this staff really doesn't GAF about stars. They take who they like and trust their evaluations. I've only questioned a few takes since Mario has been here (Thomas, Russell, and Tripp are the only ones that come to mind off the top of my head)

Most kids we sign pass the eye test in person and outplay their rankings until they're bumped up at the end of the cycle.

They're also getting traction with HS coaches, 7v7 programs, and getting "street cred" (for lack of a better term) taking kids like this that everyone raves about and knows is better than their star ranking. Letting people know if you're a dog we'll find you. Not just local kids. Tri county (Frederique, Russell, Wheatley-Humphrey), most other parts of Florida (Plazz, Emory) , Louisiana kids (Day), Gorman kids (Lofton), Alabama kids (Pruitt, McConathy, and now Merritt) etc. All those dudes were camp offers, recommended by someone else that should know (like Philip Rivers pointing us to McConathy), or came from ties to HS programs like Day/Guidry. All are 3 stars and all are considered dogs by everyone that has seem them play. All seem to be tearing it up in practice/workouts and get rave reviews when they show up to campus.

Advertisement
This kid has been looking for our offer for months, he wants to commit. Other 2026 QBs are committing now, there's no more runway. So the coaches had to decide if they'd offer knowing he would accept it quickly, or they were going to walk away.

Personally, I think they made the right call. He fits everything we want absent the additional 3-4 inches to be considered a national elite. I believe D'Eriq King in this offense would be able to lead us to a playoff spot, so I don't see why someone like Coleman couldn't if he is the real deal. And if he's not, it's on Mario and Dawson to bring in more competition who can.

@Stevo365 weighs in. He's a big fan of Coleman

@USNAVYCANE over here like

IMG_5551.jpeg

Advertisement
This kid has been looking for our offer for months, he wants to commit. Other 2026 QBs are committing now, there's no more runway. So the coaches had to decide if they'd offer knowing he would accept it quickly, or they were going to walk away.

Personally, I think they made the right call. He fits everything we want absent the additional 3-4 inches to be considered a national elite. I believe D'Eriq King in this offense would be able to lead us to a playoff spot, so I don't see why someone like Coleman couldn't if he is the real deal. And if he's not, it's on Mario and Dawson to bring in more competition who can.

Yup, more comp at every position is the model. People are missing the fact that competition will rule the day and the standards/talent have risen for our program. This kid will have to beat people to see the field, and if he emerges from Greentree as starter it's because he earned it.

Advertisement
@DMoney in the June 28, 2024 Bank

I'm told 2026 QB Dereon Coleman (Orlando) was the best passer over Michael Clayton II (Sanford) and Tait Reynolds (Arizona) at last week's camp. I expect him to be Miami's 2026 QB.

@DMoney in the June 28, 2024 Bank

I'm told 2026 QB Dereon Coleman (Orlando) was the best passer over Michael Clayton II (Sanford) and Tait Reynolds (Arizona) at last week's camp. I expect him to be Miami's 2026 QB.

Donno said committing Wednesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back