DB Amari Wallace talks his game, the staff and his recruiting pitch for Miami

View as article
None knows exactly what happened, where the fracture is, or how it’s gonna be repaired.
Paul George had a pretty bad fracture and came back.
His youth and small size will benefit him a lot. But let’s hope it’s nowhere near the ankle or knee joint. Long bone fractures can heal quite well even with surgery. Bit of it affects the joint surfaces it can get very tricky.

Advertisement
None knows exactly what happened, where the fracture is, or how it’s gonna be repaired.
Paul George had a pretty bad fracture and came back.
His youth and small size will benefit him a lot. But let’s hope it’s nowhere near the ankle or knee joint. Long bone fractures can heal quite well even with surgery. Bit of it affects the joint surfaces it can get very tricky.
Exactly.

A fine mixture of factual information and wild conjecture on this thread. What's notable is a glaring lack of case-specific information.

Some fractures can be associated with sufficient vascular/fascial trauma to require amputation (David Schlicht); many mid-shaft fractures can be treated with nearly zero after-effect, and some fractures can be a career-ending combination of bad placement and surgical complication (Alex Smith).

Without specific information over time, we're back to message-board speculation. Godspeed for a quick recovery for this young man and his family.

My CIS medical degree is finally being put to the test. But seriously no chance we drop this kid. It would be recruiting suicide. And Mario lives for recruiting. Plus we got the additional scholarships. And we kept Brian balom on the roster for like 5 years. We can keep this kid on

Advertisement
Or maybe we just let his body turn cold before we ship him off to the glue factory?

Kid just suffered a career threatening injury, a kid I’m sure the staff has been recruiting for years

Takes a lot of balls for a group of us dumbasses on a message board to determine what the best route to take is
Disagree. It doesn't take balls. It takes common sense. You honor the scholarship and let the kid heal. The mistakes we may have made in the past with kids we knew were hurt before we offered have no bearing on this situation. We have to honor the scholarship. It's the only choice here.

We don't honor the scholarship because we have to for fear of possible blowback. We honor the scholarship because we want to. We honor it because Cristobal needs to be able to look these kids parents in the eye and say " This really is a family and I mean what I say!" You honor it because this kid is 100% Cane through and through! If you saw the interview with Ariz then you know why we honor the scholarship.

Last edited:
Exactly.

A fine mixture of factual information and wild conjecture on this thread. What's notable is a glaring lack of case-specific information.

Some fractures can be associated with sufficient vascular/fascial trauma to require amputation (David Schlicht); many mid-shaft fractures can be treated with nearly zero after-effect, and some fractures can be a career-ending combination of bad placement and surgical complication (Alex Smith).

Without specific information over time, we're back to message-board speculation. Godspeed for a quick recovery for this young man and his family.
Bingo

His injury is a broken leg ... fracture ... not involving ligaments or tendons. I had a similar injury at 22 years old. Left foot and 6" of the leg snapped off in a car accident. They put me on the stretcher then my foot ... all muscles etc. still in tact. No pins, screws or rods ... a toe to hip cast for a few months then an ankle to knee for a couple more. 12 months later I was running 3 miles a day again ... and 25 years later I was doing the same thing 5-6 mornings a week running 3 miles in 21 minutes, a nice steady pace, with no discomfort. Played tennis as well at a good club level. With S&C during his freshman season, he should be ready to ball out 100% as a sophomore.
You've definitely come along way that's for sure, and I'm glad you mentioned that a so called clean fracture with ligaments in tact Wallace should be able to come back in couple years. No idea where people get this we should drop him bull crap come from

Disagree. It doesn't take balls. It takes common sense. You honor the scholarship and let the kid heal. The mistakes we may have made in the past with kids we knew were hurt before we offered has no bearing on this situation. We have to honor the scholarship. It's the only choice here.

Also we don't honor the scholarship because we have to because of possible blowback. We honor the scholarship because we want to. We honor it because Cristobal needs to be able to look these kids parents in the face and say " This really is a family and I mean what I say!" You honor it because this kid is 100% Cane through and through! If you saw the interview with Ariz then you know why we honor the scholarship.
You didn’t even read what I said

I said it takes a lot of balls for people here to start giving diagnosis

My first post on the matter said the same thing you just said with less words

Advertisement
You didn’t even read what I said

I said it takes a lot of balls for people here to start giving diagnosis

My first post on the matter said the same thing you just said with less words
LOL I did read what you said. I just sent you a DM right before I read this explaining my intent. Simple misunderstanding my friend. It's all good!

Compound fracture in the leg and you're never going to be the same player again. Period.

I'm aware of the repercussions and image it sends but you can't take the kid on a scholarship. Let them know it repercussions for the HC stupidity running a scrimmage before camp starts.

Take Lewis Cine for example. Most recent comparison in the NFL that I can remember. 1st round pick of the Vikings, stud at Georgia, ran a 4.37 at the combine and was like 99th percentile in the broad jump... compound fracture in London in October 2022. Made 1 tackle in all of 2023 and now going into his 3rd year he likely won't even be making the 53 man. Never will be the same guy. Wallace isn't near that caliber of athlete to begin with.
Drop Lil Mari?? He will never be the same?? That's a lot of crazy talk bro. Instead of wishing well & just seeing how it play out you talking crazy out yo top about him.

Advertisement
Compound fracture in the leg and you're never going to be the same player again. Period.

I'm aware of the repercussions and image it sends but you can't take the kid on a scholarship. Let them know it repercussions for the HC stupidity running a scrimmage before camp starts.

Take Lewis Cine for example. Most recent comparison in the NFL that I can remember. 1st round pick of the Vikings, stud at Georgia, ran a 4.37 at the combine and was like 99th percentile in the broad jump... compound fracture in London in October 2022. Made 1 tackle in all of 2023 and now going into his 3rd year he likely won't even be making the 53 man. Never will be the same guy. Wallace isn't near that caliber of athlete to begin with.
I’m not a doctor and don’t know much about the injury, but Lewis Cine had a lot of problems that didn’t have to do with his leg. Word is he’s not picking up the playbook and has been aloof. He was buried on the depth chart before he got hurt.

Advertisement
i never lost but since I have some expertise in this i will comment. One, nobody calls it a compound fracture. Its an open fracture which can mean anything from a poke hole to a 15cm laceration that needs free flap. Two which bone in his leg. Femur or tibia shaft and be stabalized with a rod and weight bear immediately. Third most fractures take 8 weeks to heal. Young kid with good protoplasm will probably recover just fine. The recovery process is usually one year to back to normal strength. 3 months to impact activities. Now if its a distal tibia or pilon fracture. That is a life changing injury. Now I realize I just did what everyone did and speculate. If anyone has anymore knowledge of specific injury I can relay more information.

Drop Lil Mari?? He will never be the same?? That's a lot of crazy talk bro. Instead of wishing well & just seeing how it play out you talking crazy out yo top about him.
I hope they keep him. I’d love to revisit in 3-4 years. And I’d love to be wrong. Honestly would.

I wasn’t as high on him as most to begin with. Good high school player that is skeptical of his college success. The injury does it for me.

105 scholarships helps. There’s room to take a few fliers for development and recovery.

This is what we need to ask you. Forget the injury for a moment. With 100 people or more in attendance it’s not like this would have remained a secret. So why is this scrimmage worth the risk, and what is the penalty for doing it?
It isn't worth the risk, it's just typical junkyard South Florida 💩.

Penalty could be something as minor as a 3-game suspension for the Head Coaches or as severe as firings.

Advertisement
Back