DB Amari Wallace talks his game, the staff and his recruiting pitch for Miami

View as article
Emory had a compound fracture in his arm last year and we didn't remove him from the team. The lisfranc foot injury is worse than a compound fracture because those linger more and more and we got guys coming back from that

Advertisement
And the DT from California that flipped from Michigan the previous year
Khamauri Rogers came in hurt, Tripp came in hurt, Tinilau came in hurt, Achemong came in hurt, Isaiah Thomas came in hurt.

We took Jon Denis and he was hurt.

And Cam McCormick is 76 and we still took him.

Until someone comes in hurt and ends up producing... avoid me with the idea of bringing them in and letting them heal. It doesn't work.

Khamauri Rogers came in hurt, Tripp came in hurt, Tinilau came in hurt, Achemong came in hurt, Isaiah Thomas came in hurt.

Until someone comes in hurt and ends up producing... avoid me with the idea of bringing them in and letting them heal. It doesn't work.
I agree with your overall premise although I personally would make an exception for this kid because of relationships with that school. Especially since we’ve been doing it for kids from other countries and continents, plus the new 105 scholarship limit

Advertisement
I agree with your overall premise although I personally would make an exception for this kid because of relationships with that school. Especially since we’ve been doing it for kids from other countries and continents, plus the new 105 scholarship limit
Or maybe we just let his body turn cold before we ship him off to the glue factory?

Kid just suffered a career threatening injury, a kid I’m sure the staff has been recruiting for years

Takes a lot of balls for a group of us dumbasses on a message board to determine what the best route to take is

His injury is a broken leg ... fracture ... not involving ligaments or tendons. I had a similar injury at 22 years old. Left foot and 6" of the leg snapped off in a car accident. They put me on the stretcher then my foot ... all muscles etc. still in tact. No pins, screws or rods ... a toe to hip cast for a few months then an ankle to knee for a couple more. 12 months later I was running 3 miles a day again ... and 25 years later I was doing the same thing 5-6 mornings a week running 3 miles in 21 minutes, a nice steady pace, with no discomfort. Played tennis as well at a good club level. With S&C during his freshman season, he should be ready to ball out 100% as a sophomore.

Advertisement
His injury is a broken leg ... fracture ... not involving ligaments or tendons. I had a similar injury at 22 years old. Left foot and 6" of the leg snapped off in a car accident. They put me on the stretcher then my foot ... all muscles etc. still in tact. No pins, screws or rods ... a toe to hip cast for a few months then an ankle to knee for a couple more. 12 months later I was running 3 miles a day again ... and 25 years later I was doing the same thing 5-6 mornings a week running 3 miles in 21 minutes, a nice steady pace, with no discomfort. Played tennis as well at a good club level. With S&C during his freshman season, he should be ready to ball out 100% as a sophomore.
Everyone responds differently but being young and in peak physical condition certainly will go a long way

BREAKING NEWS: man behind desk armed with a keyboard concludes that any kid that enters the program injured will never amount to anything and cites to small sample size of evidence to bolster an erroneous and faulty conclusion while disregarding mountain of evidence that demonstrates that athletes do indeed recover from a variety of injuries and are still able to maintain and even out perform pre injury performance.

Mario's policy with not discussing injuries tends to be perplexing but then I see a clown like yourself in a thread about a high school kid that just suffered a serious injury throwing all sorts of ***** at the wall, which makes the policy seem justified to be quite honest. Big weirdo energy. Wish the kid well and move on. Biggest issue with the internet is folks feel the need to advance an opinion or conclusion whenever possible, good luck at the bad timing and taste awards, chief.

tough bust for this kid.
you definitely honor the nil and take him - word will travel fast among croots
and every injury and kid is unique to that kid
let him show his fight to get back - imma fan

Agreed, best hope now is that his fracture doesn't attract any infections pre- or post-surgery. But medicine has come a long way, avg. recovery is about 15 months.

However, Miami Central is going to be in some rough water now. Talk about ruining your schools reputation with stupid **** like that. I hope that kid has a decent lawyer at hand.
Recovery Is 15-18 months being pretty standard. But when I say 2 years at minimum I mean till he can hopefully help us on the field. HOPEFULLY. That coach is fired for sure. If he's not the entire school is ****ed. Cause that **** exposed them to numerous lawsuits now for the slick crowd.

Advertisement
If Mario drops this kid, I will cut off any and all support of my program.

And I love this program more than my wife and kids, so guess what? That ain't happening.

He will be on the rooster next year. Y'all are some garbage human beings for even insinuating the program should abandon him. Thankfully I trust my coach to realize he's in the people business above everything else.

Wishing you all the best, Amari. Attack the **** outta that rehab and we look forward to seeing you in Orange and Green.

Advertisement
Maybe a board dedicated to football at a RESEARCH university should actually discuss recovery based on RESEARCH?

Conclusion​

The rate of RTS after open fracture among NFL players was high. Players who sustained an open fracture had similar games played per season, career length, and performance compared with matched controls. Players who sustained an upper extremity open fracture had a faster RTS time, higher RTS rate, and improved postinjury performance compared with players who sustained a lower extremity open fracture.

The NIL piece of this is interesting. Even with a scholarship limit I would expect UM to honor his scholarship for the reasons everyone cited, but also because it is good PR to make sure everyone knows UM stands by its commits when this type of thing happens.

But NIL is different as there must be a limited NIL budget and like any athlete, an injury impacts earning potential until the athlete overcomes the injury. I would like to think that keeping his scholarship in place is what Wallace and his family are realistically hoping for.
I'd hope that's the priority. But we'll see. For a kid to instantly go from nothing to that back to nothing is heartbreaking and I just hope an amicable situation can be agreed to where we still do something for the kid. Cause that would not only get us a ton of amazing pr where it matters(directly with the kids cause at the end of the day recruiting at a high level is reliant on word of mouth, not the lies most see in press)but more importantly it's also what's right.

If Mario drops this kid, I will cut off any and all support of my program.

And I love this program more than my wife and kids, so guess what? That ain't happening.

He will be on the rooster next year. Y'all are some garbage human beings for even insinuating the program should abandon him. Thankfully I trust my coach to realize he's in the people business above everything else.

Wishing you all the best, Amari. Attack the **** outta that rehab and we look forward to seeing you in Orange and Green.
After a conversation I had this morning I can say we're definitely not DROPPING him. However it's a situation that requires an open mind from both sides. Honestly that's how It should be.

Compound fractures (I'm hoping for a great recovery for him no matter what the extent)are not some easy process. It's a long LONG road. A guarantee (if it is a compound fracture)he's got at least two years ahead of him till we can count on him in any capacity. Add to that no way in **** he's gonna have his nil in place that was agreed to. I'm interested to see how this plays out.
Dude I knew in high school had a compound fracture playing basketball junior year and was back for football senior year but was nowhere near 100%. 2 year outlook is realistic and works out okay when you figure high school senior year plus RS frosh year.

Advertisement
Back