MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I agree all about the Ws now. I also think if Miami wins 8 games he would still pull a top 10 class. He is the best in America at forming relationships, persistent. I’ve never seen a HC in CFB as dedicated on the trail as he is.

Day, Kirby aren’t pulling top 6 classes after going 12-13. Mario is going to get his no matter what. You wanna argue about anything on field or staff, I could see your points - ****, they’re probably valid.

But someone bringing up recruiting to me as a reason we can’t go to B12 is a reach.
Don’t agree. Mario the best recruiter in America. Miami could be in sunbelt & would pull top 8 classes.
I mean...if some want to bury their head in the sand and ignore the gravity of the situation developing, that is their prerogative. I disagree with just about everything you've said. But you are helping us get to 1000!

Advertisement
He just wanted an excuse to mention his man-crush, Yormark...

:ROFLMAO:

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
FTIbxgZ1Nvv6NAzQHg.gif

In all seriousness, could ya'll see a scenario long-term where a Yormark-type + proper backing could take a property like Miami (and others) to create a true rival of P2?

Personally I think in 2030s P2 dissolves anyway and 1 super league is formed with about 30-ish "real players" vying for the crown.

Because Notre Dame will put together a scheduling agreement with the P2 and have plenty of marquee tv spots meanwhile we will be playing UCF at noon on ESPN Plus. If we can get a scheduling agreement with the P2 while we try and improve our standing for full membership, I would choose that without second thought over the Big 12.

And what coup could they possibly make? If FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA go P2, what is left that is that appealing besides us? GT and VT aren’t changing the landscape.
Hold up eine minute herr kommissar.

The P2 advertise themselves as a murderer's rowand they now have locked in, what 9 games in-conference?

Take 1 or 2 P2 cross-overs on sched and I can see Notre Dame getting more crowded out. Certainly not suggesting they aren't going t9 get scheduled, but I just don't believe they are a must schedule like days of old.

easy gif1719490292787.gif

View attachment 292993

In all seriousness, could ya'll see a scenario long-term where a Yormark-type + proper backing could take a property like Miami (and others) to create a true rival of P2?

Personally I think in 2030s P2 dissolves anyway and 1 super league is formed with about 30-ish "real players" vying for the crown.
No and I’m not sure why you keep going down this kind of road. They just don’t have enough brands that have the reach and audience and power and resources to even come close. There’s a reason why the dollars are different already. And even getting a few more of the best remaining ones from the ACC isn’t going to change that gap enough. This is not a feelings thing. It’s a fact thing.

Advertisement
Why doesn't it hurt Notre Lame being an Independent, but Miami to BiG12 hurts recruiting?

Especially if Yormark pulls off a huge coup of sorts?
Why??? Because BOTH the Big 10 and SEC would be open to a scheduling agreement with ND. ND vs any top P2 program would be viewing monsters and commercial time for those games would be solid gold. Those games would be prime time national broadcasts. Miami playing any mediocre B12 team will be streaming app only.

I agree all about the Ws now. I also think if Miami wins 8 games he would still pull a top 10 class. He is the best in America at forming relationships, persistent. I’ve never seen a HC in CFB as dedicated on the trail as he is.

Day, Kirby aren’t pulling top 6 classes after going 12-13. Mario is going to get his no matter what. You wanna argue about anything on field or staff, I could see your points - ****, they’re probably valid.

But someone bringing up recruiting to me as a reason we can’t go to B12 is a reach.
Mrs. Cristobal ... you're babbling and it's not making sense.

View attachment 292993

I admire Yormark, I think he is bright and aggressive and does an excellent job.

I'm just not sure there is enough network-TV-money to help him carve out a Big 3 conference.

Just my honest opinion.

Now, if the ACC had him from 2005 onward? **** yeah.

Advertisement
No and I’m not sure why you keep going down this kind of road. They just don’t have enough brands that have the reach and audience and power and resources to even come close. There’s a reason why the dollars are different already. And even getting a few more of the best remaining ones from the ACC isn’t going to change that gap enough. This is not a feelings thing. It’s a fact thing.
Here's what I know about the world:

When any organization thinks they are so far ahead that their "unbeatable", that's the beginning of the end long-term for them.

Sears, Blockbuster, etc. were once the "P2" of their worlds too.

Again, I believe P2 goes away into a singular superleague in 2030s. So, if ACC or Big12 offer Miami (and others) some massive king's ransom that at least makes their specific payouts y-t-y close-ish to B1G/SEC money, perhaps Miami takes that chance as a bridge to the eventual joining of the College Football Bundesliga of 30-ish teams.

Or maybe it all blows up in Miami's face and they get relegated to Sunbelt.

What I also believe is B1G and SEC are nothing more than a few top teams/brands and trash everywhere else down the line. That is unsustainable for their current payout models and that math isn't going to math for the long haul.

For sure right now.

But I think it could well end up being a "Monkey See, Monkey Do" situation in which the Virginia politicians follow the path of their counterparts in North Carolina so that UVA and VA Tech each get that P2 landing spot.

I think both Sankey and ESPN — as well as Petitti, FOX/NBC/CBS — have an expectation for how the dominoes will fall.

1. FSU+Clemson to the SEC
2. UNC+NC State to the SEC
3. UVA+VA Tech to the SEC
(ACC sinking faster than a post-iceberg Titanic at this point)
4. ND throws in the towel, Canes+Irish to the B1G
ONE huge fact that you're overlooking my friend is that you are looking at "the old days" when it was strictly SEC vs Big 10 or Fox vs ESPN. That model has changed dramatically based on the NEW network partnerships that have been created ... like VENU Sports ... a streaming partnership that is being launched by Disney / ESPN / FOX / Warner Bros / Discovery ... starting this Fall.

The added streaming product will permit more time slots for broadcast programming college football games (and other sports). IT HAS BEEN COMMENTED that a significant amount of horse trading has taken place between the MEDIA PARTNERS in putting together their new programming models. "Properties" involved in that horse trading reportedly include CFP sublicense agreements, some realignment moves, and broadcast 'sharing' related TO upcoming realignment moves.

One scenario that has been speculated is that FSU + one or more additional ACC schools will be moved TO the Big 10 ... and a number of those games will be broadcast ON ESPN, as part of the "horse trading" that has taken place over the past 6 months.

Advertisement
Because Notre Dame will put together a scheduling agreement with the P2 and have plenty of marquee tv spots

The SEC and B1G won't collectively be inclined to set aside any of their three non-conference dates to accommodate Notre Dame's preference for remaining independent in football. Just finishing in the top 4 or 5 in the conference standings will likely be enough to get into a 12- or 14-team (or larger) CFP. SEC and B1G schools don't need those games against ND.

The Irish can either:

Join one of the two remaining power conferences and play a full nine-game conference schedule like Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, etc.

or

Try to cobble together something with the second-tier Big XII or zombie ACC agreeable to both parties

Advertisement
ONE huge fact that you're overlooking my friend is that you are looking at "the old days" when it was strictly SEC vs Big 10 or Fox vs ESPN. That model has changed dramatically based on the NEW network partnerships that have been created ... like VENU Sports ... a streaming partnership that is being launched by Disney / ESPN / FOX / Warner Bros / Discovery ... starting this Fall.

The added streaming product will permit more time slots for broadcast programming college football games (and other sports). IT HAS BEEN COMMENTED that a significant amount of horse trading has taken place between the MEDIA PARTNERS in putting together their new programming models. "Properties" involved in that horse trading reportedly include CFP sublicense agreements, some realignment moves, and broadcast 'sharing' related TO upcoming realignment moves.

One scenario that has been speculated is that FSU + one or more additional ACC schools will be moved TO the Big 10 ... and a number of those games will be broadcast ON ESPN, as part of the "horse trading" that has taken place over the past 6 months.

I think Greg Sankey (with the backing of his presidents and AD's) is the one who ultimately decides what schools the Southeastern Conference invited to join.

Not ESPN and not FOX, who could be out of the picture when it's time to sign the next media contract.

I don't think for a second FSU and Clemson will go to the Big Ten regardless of any speculation between now and when something is announced officially.

Not trying to change your mind, though.

It'd be boring if everything here was just folks agreeing with one another

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back