MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

The differential is this.

The Pac 12 was at the end of their GOR deal (thus no need to file lawsuits to "determine" the size or applicability of the duplicative second penalty), and I'm not even sure if they had to pay the primary exit fee to leave the Pac 12 since the whole conference fell apart.

I guess Washington State and Oregon State can try to demand payment, but either way, I don't think the Pac 12 exit penalty was as steep as the ACC exit penalty.

To pay a $150M exit penalty AND only get a half-share is...challenging...

But I think it should still be done, if that is the way to make a deal.
It’s not as challenging as people are making it out to be. The big 10 is going to be making more than $50m more a year MINIMUM through the term of the theoretical 2036 acc deal if it somehow holds up. Unless you believe in 2030 the big ten new deal suddenly collapses (extremely doubtful)

You aren’t paying all up front. It’s payments negotiated. Financeable. At worst it’s a media and athletic wash at half share for a few years but not in next deal and that’s before you factor in any upswing in research $ by being part of the academic alliance.

I’ve done the math as best as possible with public documents and worst case projections. The math checks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My primary hope is that all of these delays cause everyone to think things through, instead of making decisions within 48 hour timeframes.

I still think that F$U and Clemson are far better fits for the SEC than anyone else, though I realize the SEC badly wants UNC and UVA to finally finish representing all 13 stars on the Confederate battle flag.

And I think that Miami and Notre Dame are ideal fits the the Big 10.

After that, the timing and payouts get hazy. Five teams deserve full payouts (Miami, F$U, Clemson, UNC, and Notre Dame if they join a conference). Everyone else is just a place-filler.
Interesting perspective about the 13 stars on the Confederate battle flag. Makes sense from an optical and logistical standpoint. Would obviously give the SEC a stranglehold on the SE.

The differential is this.

The Pac 12 was at the end of their GOR deal (thus no need to file lawsuits to "determine" the size or applicability of the duplicative second penalty), and I'm not even sure if they had to pay the primary exit fee to leave the Pac 12 since the whole conference fell apart.

I guess Washington State and Oregon State can try to demand payment, but either way, I don't think the Pac 12 exit penalty was as steep as the ACC exit penalty.

To pay a $150M exit penalty AND only get a half-share is...challenging...

But I think it should still be done, if that is the way to make a deal.
LONG TERM, moving to the B1G would be the optimum choice. The question is can Miami afford it in the short term?

I'll be as direct as I can be.

Quite a few people felt like we had a solid strategy for a long, slow build-up. AAU membership. Greater commitment to coaching staffs and facilities. Nice collegial relationships, including Frenk supporting "let's get back to football" during COVID.

But I've said this before. The Washington/Oregon desperation changed everything. Washington/Oregon were not the preferred partners of USC/UCLA. Washington/Oregon weren't even in the top 2 spots for the Big 10. But their ploy to take half-shares changed EVERYONE'S calculus. It was obvious that the networks would do anything, for the right price. That move ****ed up the expected timeline and the expected pecking order.

I said it then and it is still true. Washington/Oregon changed everything. Moreso than Texas/Oklahoma. Moreso than USC/UCLA. At least with those pairs of teams, you could expect movement, they were the two most desirable teams in their respective conferences.

But no matter how many Grey's Anatomy/Portlandia fans try to convince you that Washington/Oregon are some great programs that everyone covets, it's a load of horse****. On every level. No matter how koool you think Oregon's uniforms are.

Washington is the 13th largest state, with 7.8 million people. Oregon is the 27th largest, with 4.2 million people. For media markets, you've got Sea-Tac at #12 and Portland at #22. After that? Spokane at #67. Outside of California, the Washington-Oregon area is surrounded by Alaska and Canada and Idaho and Nevada (Vegas is in the far southern end of Nevada).

And I know, I know, "population isn't everything". Except, in this case, you have a fairly weak sports market. Those 12 million people are concentrated in two areas with a LOT of land in between, and football is not nearly as big of a deal up there as it is in the southeast. Travel is challenging, both for local fans and rival fans. Three of the four big sports universities in those states are fairly remote from the two big urban areas. So these are not natural and enthusiastic sports markets, at least not nearly as other available schools are in other parts of the country.

But Washington/Oregon took half. And not only cranked up their spots in the pecking order, but fundamentally changed the economics and bargaining positions for everyone else. BEFORE Washington/Oregon, F$U thought that the Big 10 would pay their exit fee. BEFORE Washington/Oregon, nobody thought SMU would take ZERO-POINT-ZERO to get into the ACC.

So while Miami spent a lot of time and political capital to position itself, and has done (almost) as much as it can do, the Washington/Oregon situation screwed everything up on the "expectations" side. Now it is much harder to know how many schools the SEC and Big 10 might take, and what kinds of arrangements might need to be made. ****, if SMU offered to play in the SEC for free, do we honestly believe that a proposal like that would be rejected without discussion? That could be a very tempting offer for the SEC.

Speaking to people who know, there are certain things that are in Miami's favor and/or that Miami can impact. But there are some other factors that are a lot more complicated and are out of our hands.

I still believe that a lot of people feel that "Florida" is too big for the Big 10 to ignore us forever. But how much the Big 10 will pay (and when) were heavily impacted by Washington/Oregon.

And as evidenced by Washington's university budget, a Big 10 half-share will exceed an ACC full-share.

View attachment 292757

The problems with the idea of Chillin in the Big 12 for 5 or 6 years till the the P2 deals come up are numerous.

Every year we are out of the P2 we fall farther behind. Beside the obviously huge financial gap, recruting, exposure and relevancy make 5-6 years a lifetime. In my opinion, anything outside of the P2 is a death knell for the school.

Advertisement
Interesting perspective about the 13 stars on the Confederate battle flag. Makes sense from an optical and logistical standpoint. Would obviously give the SEC a stranglehold on the SE.

1. South Carolina
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Louisiana
7. Texas
8. Virginia - which is why they are targeting UVa so highly, though they are not a cultural fit, even as UVa is a state flagship university
9. Arkansas
10. Tennessee
11. North Carolina - which is why they are targeting UNC, though UNC is an excellent candidate for the SEC
12. Missouri - has a star on the flag, but it was a slave-state that did not secede as expected
13. Kentucky - has a star on the flag, but it was a slave-state that did not secede as expected

Maryland and Delaware are the other two slave-states, but they are too far north, though Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon Line. If the SEC could get Maryland to jump from the Big 10, they would do it. Technically, West Virginia was a slave state too, but chose to break away from Virginia because Virginia seceded. The SEC seriously considered WVU at the time they took Mizzou and aTm.

People can pretend like this Confederacy stuff is a big joke and not true, but the older SEC alums take this (and their flags) very seriously.

1. South Carolina
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Louisiana
7. Texas
8. Virginia - which is why they are targeting UVa so highly, though they are not a cultural fit, even as UVa is a state flagship university
9. Arkansas
10. Tennessee
11. North Carolina - which is why they are targeting UNC, though UNC is an excellent candidate for the SEC
12. Missouri - has a star on the flag, but it was a slave-state that did not secede as expected
13. Kentucky - has a star on the flag, but it was a slave-state that did not secede as expected

Maryland and Delaware are the other two slave-states, but they are too far north, though Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon Line. If the SEC could get Maryland to jump from the Big 10, they would do it. Technically, West Virginia was a slave state too, but chose to break away from Virginia because Virginia seceded. The SEC seriously considered WVU at the time they took Mizzou and aTm.

People can pretend like this Confederacy stuff is a big joke and not true, but the older SEC alums take this (and their flags) very seriously.
Even for the people who don't care about the Confederacy angle, it's hard to call yourself the Southeast Conference if you don't encompass the entire Southeast. If you're going to collect, collect the whole set.

1. South Carolina
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Louisiana
7. Texas
9. Arkansas
10. Tennessee

IMG_0120.gif

Advertisement
Y’all need to relax, I suggest you live in Florida you vote for the passing of recreational cannabis so you can finally get the good stuff without a dr. note

People over analyzing the part of the iceberg that’s visible.

Fwiw I’m still not stressed when it’s all said and done (and no I’m not telling you why pm @whoopingcane and see if he shares)

Drive Mirror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Agreed. It is a series of overreactions, largely recycled information and mudslinging...

Your recreational plan is the first new idea in 400 pages. Nicely done.

You are such a weak and pathetic person. You bring nothing of value to any conversation. You have no information. You have no analysis. All you are is negative and hateful.

Still talking about Washington/Oregon? Yes, because that move changed multiple aspects of realignment, more than any other move did.

You're just behaving like a toxic ****. One minute, you act like things that people said two years ago must always remain the same, they can never change as circumstances change. The next minute you act like when anyone acknowledges any event that is negative, they are a Mope like you.

Don't bother with the ha-ha reaction emojis. You've been exposed for what you are. Someone who knows nothing and adds nothing, but you're oh-so-proud of your 20,000 negative posts. Because you're "keeping it real". Real dumb.

Feel free to ignore reality while you're chasing people and demanding accountability for things said two years ago, before circumstances and events changed. What would the board do without all of your insightful commentary?

Just keep tearing down all of your superiors who know more, share more, and discuss more. But it should be noted that you keep coming back every single day to suck our asses and make your worthless snarky comments.
You get so aggravated when people don't just run with everything you say and/or use your own gimmicks against you -- like the dumb "keeping it real" commentary. Every time you add helpful information, I give you the deserved respect and credit for it.

What? No smarmy comments about how Miami and Clemson are "joined at the hip"? Oh, sorry, you're not a crybaby like @Angry Ibis ...
The person that posted Miami and Clemson were joined at the hip was one of the most respected posters on the board who posted it on July 5, 2022...

But I will let you be your petty receipt chaser on this one -- since that is your bag...

Advertisement
Ladies & Gents, I’ve decided to scroll through many of the pages, & I painstakingly took on the task of reading through majority of the post, & I can honestly tell u, I came up w/ the most logical conclusion I may have ever had in CIS history:

This thread absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, suck donkey balls w/ a side of Gorilla dyck.

Ladies & Gents, I’ve decided to scroll through many of the pages, & I painstakingly took on the task of reading through majority of the post, & I can honestly tell u, I came up w/ the most logical conclusion I may have ever had in CIS history:

This thread absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, suck donkey balls w/ a side of Gorilla dyck.
I blame Oregon and Washington...

It's one of the most bizarre threads ever. I tried to read some of it, but it reads like a bad harlequin novel, with way too much Wall Street Journal thrown in. Throw in some mental midget wrestling, and you have this thread.

Advertisement
I realize you're in denial.

Doesn't make it any less true.

From last season:

Not in denial. Just know it's not this massive underlying issue you try to make it out to be consistently on a sports message board cherry picking isolated incidents. Find another forum to push your bull**** agenda.

Advertisement
Back