MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I can't even listen to that guy ... he sounds like he is mentally challenged. Don't believe he has ANY legit information even on yesterday's weather.

Understood. To each his own. ✌️

Who are your go-to sources for realignment info?

Anybody you read, watch or listen to you would recommend to posters on this site as far as having a good feel for when and where things are headed?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I can't even listen to that guy ... he sounds like he is mentally challenged. Don't believe he has ANY legit information even on yesterday's weather.
You’re pretty wrong there but ok

Infallible? No.
Gets info? absolutely - and way more now than when he started.
Has all the info? No.
Mentally challenged? Dude WTF

You’re pretty wrong there but ok

Infallible? No.
Gets info? absolutely - and way more now than when he started.
Has all the info? No.
Mentally challenged? Dude WTF
Have you ever actually listened to one of his podcasts? His pregnant pauses are crazy. Just seems like he is mumbling and to me is un-listenable.

Have you ever actually listened to one of his podcasts? His pregnant pauses are crazy. Just seems like he is mumbling and to me is un-listenable.

Help out the CIS peasants my man.

Obviously you follow realignment closely enough to provide plenty of commentary on what's going on with it.

Who are your go-to sources you feel good enough about to share info here?

Advertisement
Understood. To each his own. ✌️

Who are your go-to sources for realignment info?

Anybody you read, watch or listen to you would recommend to posters on this site as far as having a good feel for when and where things are headed?
Man .... there is nobody that has the ACTUAL destination of teams. I used to listen to Genetics as he does have some B10 contacts (heck, he worked for 2 B10 universities out of college and now works for some company that provides services TO B10 athletic departments ... so he does actually end up on the campuses talking to people). But he is so agenda driven that I no longer pay attention to him. As far as FSU and their destination .... again .... even the "guys with contacts" on Warchant (and there are a couple) don't know for sure.

A couple of guys have been told it is the Big 10 ... but until ESPN / Disney is TOTALLY out of the picture ... you cannot rule them out. I check out Warchant frequently as there is a guy there ... RegalNole ... the one that started the now 2400 page Conference Realignment thread over 2 years ago ... that DOES have actual legit MEDIA contacts. He worked in the media industry, is now retired, and is apparently pretty wired into at least the FSU status ... "we are out" is his only comment and he stated 10 days ago that the last 2 weeks in June were going to be crazy with rumors as things get closer to an actual announcement. Josh Pate is probably the most genuine journalist covering a broad range of college football activities ... well respected by virtually every coach ... has access. His comment two days ago was pretty telling when asked to clarify what his "water glass" post meant regarding the ACC.

That was covered above in a post ... basically the ACC is going to be reconfigured, FSU and others will be leaving, potential announcement before the season kicks off. BUT ... who is going where? From everything I have read 75% FSU to the Big 10, 25% to the SEC. Might go alone, unless some bigger "deal" is being structured. The Big 12 Mafia has been pushing Yomark's "open for business" comment and they have stated Miami, Louisville, Va Tech and NC State are "prime targets". Targets ... not that there is mutual interest. The Big Mountain is a guy(s) that have some interesting perspective and contacts on the B10 side. Six months ago THEY were all over Miami as the travel partner with FSU, now they don't have that opinion.

Lot of people looking at the B10 to be more interested in geographic diversity than adding a second school in Florida. So, if the B10 does take FSU, they would prefer to add a UNC rather than Miami. What does seem "clear" is that more than viewership numbers are being used as criteria for adding new members to the P2 ... otherwise it would be FSU, Clemson, Miami then everybody else.

I stopped listening to Fluaguar simply because I cannot listen to his ... whatever the **** he is trying to do in his broadcast.

Man .... there is nobody that has the ACTUAL destination of teams. I used to listen to Genetics as he does have some B10 contacts (heck, he worked for 2 B10 universities out of college and now works for some company that provides services TO B10 athletic departments ... so he does actually end up on the campuses talking to people). But he is so agenda driven that I no longer pay attention to him. As far as FSU and their destination .... again .... even the "guys with contacts" on Warchant (and there are a couple) don't know for sure.

A couple of guys have been told it is the Big 10 ... but until ESPN / Disney is TOTALLY out of the picture ... you cannot rule them out. I check out Warchant frequently as there is a guy there ... RegalNole ... the one that started the now 2400 page Conference Realignment thread over 2 years ago ... that DOES have actual legit MEDIA contacts. He worked in the media industry, is now retired, and is apparently pretty wired into at least the FSU status ... "we are out" is his only comment and he stated 10 days ago that the last 2 weeks in June were going to be crazy with rumors as things get closer to an actual announcement. Josh Pate is probably the most genuine journalist covering a broad range of college football activities ... well respected by virtually every coach ... has access. His comment two days ago was pretty telling when asked to clarify what his "water glass" post meant regarding the ACC.

That was covered above in a post ... basically the ACC is going to be reconfigured, FSU and others will be leaving, potential announcement before the season kicks off. BUT ... who is going where? From everything I have read 75% FSU to the Big 10, 25% to the SEC. Might go alone, unless some bigger "deal" is being structured. The Big 12 Mafia has been pushing Yomark's "open for business" comment and they have stated Miami, Louisville, Va Tech and NC State are "prime targets". Targets ... not that there is mutual interest. The Big Mountain is a guy(s) that have some interesting perspective and contacts on the B10 side. Six months ago THEY were all over Miami as the travel partner with FSU, now they don't have that opinion.

Lot of people looking at the B10 to be more interested in geographic diversity than adding a second school in Florida. So, if the B10 does take FSU, they would prefer to add a UNC rather than Miami. What does seem "clear" is that more than viewership numbers are being used as criteria for adding new members to the P2 ... otherwise it would be FSU, Clemson, Miami then everybody else.

I stopped listening to Fluaguar simply because I cannot listen to his ... whatever the **** he is trying to do in his broadcast.

(y)

Thanks. Always interesting to see what other folks are hearing and where they get their info.

I'll say this and put it bold: FSU and Clemson are both going to the SEC. Period.

After FSU and Clemson, UNC and NC State to the SEC will be the next to announce.

Then UVA and VA Tech to the SEC.

Then us and Notre Dame to the Big Ten.

Finally, Duke and GA Tech to the SEC, Cal and Stanford to the Big Ten, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and maybe BC to the Big XII and Wake Forest will have to drop down to a G5 level conference

Help out the CIS peasants my man.

Obviously you follow realignment closely enough to provide plenty of commentary on what's going on with it.

Who are your go-to sources you feel good enough about to share info here?

Can't speak for everyone, but I get my most reliable info from UM alums/faculty/admins/boosters with whom I converse. I then compare that info to what I see from certain online sources that @Rickd and others have mentioned.

(y)

Thanks. Always interesting to see what other folks are hearing and where they get their info.

I'll say this and put it bold: FSU and Clemson are both going to the SEC. Period.

After FSU and Clemson, UNC and NC State to the SEC will be the next to announce.

Then UVA and VA Tech to the SEC.

Then us and Notre Dame to the Big Ten.

Finally, Duke and GA Tech to the SEC, Cal and Stanford to the Big Ten, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and maybe BC to the Big XII and Wake Forest will have to drop down to a G5 level conference
I would love to see it shake out that way ... as it gets Miami into the P2. @Genetics56 would commit suicide ... he has his head so far up the FSU fanbases *** that it is hilarious. I could see, if the SEC did actually grab those teams, the Big 10 taking Ga Tech along with Miami, and doing ND, for the time being, as a scheduling agreement.

Advertisement
Can't speak for everyone, but I get my most reliable info from UM alums/faculty/admins/boosters with whom I converse.

What's your sense on how those folks think this will shake out?

Do you believe those insiders know or is UM's conference future still pretty much up in the air?

The conference commissioners and TV bigwigs seem to keep a tight lid on leaks, but undoubtedly there are people close enough to their inner circle who do know

Been saying this for a long while, but here it goes again:

SEC: Clemson, Duke, FSU, GA Tech, NC State, UNC, UVA, VA Tech

B1G: Canes, ND, Cal, Stanford, KU, Mizzou (WVU is the SEC's replacement)
I know you have been saying it ... but it seems like quite a stretch for the SEC to go from 16 current teams to 24 ... unless you are talking about "by 2030" when their new media agreement is due with the SEC. Of course ... it is an agreement ... they could always do another one as part of a major conference move. We will see.

Advertisement
I know you have been saying it ... but it seems like quite a stretch for the SEC to go from 16 current teams to 24 ... unless you are talking about "by 2030" when their new media agreement is due with the SEC. Of course ... it is an agreement ... they could always do another one as part of a major conference move. We will see.

Also quite a stretch from student-athletes not being officially compensated specifically for their sports endeavors to, in less than two years' time, divvying up roughly $22M annually per school at the top level of D1.

Yet here we are.

Things are changing and they're changing fast

I know you have been saying it ... but it seems like quite a stretch for the SEC to go from 16 current teams to 24

Here's a quote from Kirk Herbstreit last June. Take it FWIW:

"Everybody is bracing for the 12-team playoff, which is cool and gets a lot of excitement. But I think what people are underestimating is how much more movement there's gonna be in the realignment

I feel like the Big Ten and the SEC, who are the big pillars in this whole thing ... I don't know when it's gonna happen, but they're not staying at 16. They're going to go to at least 20.

Who's going where? Where's North Carolina going? Where's Oregon going? Where's Washington going? Where's Clemson gonna end up? Where's Florida State gonna go? Where's Miami (going)?

There's so much to me that's fascinating. I'm sure it won't happen during the (football) season — (or) maybe it will — that I'm guessing it happens after this year ... I think it's gonna be a fascinating time (when) we sit here and talk next June getting ready for the '24 season.

How many teams are gonna (be moving to) the SEC? How many teams are gonna (be moving to) the Big Ten? What's left of the ACC? Is the Big XII taking the Pac-12? Is the Pac-12 — what's left of it — gonna be the Mountain West?"

Here's a quote from Kirk Herbstreit last June. Take it FWIW:

"Everybody is bracing for the 12-team playoff, which is cool and gets a lot of excitement. But I think what people are underestimating is how much more movement there's gonna be in the realignment

I feel like the Big Ten and the SEC, who are the big pillars in this whole thing ... I don't know when it's gonna happen, but they're not staying at 16. They're going to go to at least 20.

Who's going where? Where's North Carolina going? Where's Oregon going? Where's Washington going? Where's Clemson gonna end up? Where's Florida State gonna go? Where's Miami (going)?

There's so much to me that's fascinating. I'm sure it won't happen during the (football) season — (or) maybe it will — that I'm guessing it happens after this year ... I think it's gonna be a fascinating time (when) we sit here and talk next June getting ready for the '24 season.

How many teams are gonna (be moving to) the SEC? How many teams are gonna (be moving to) the Big Ten? What's left of the ACC? Is the Big XII taking the Pac-12? Is the Pac-12 — what's left of it — gonna be the Mountain West?"
It is happening for sure ... timing is the ???

Advertisement
What's your sense on how those folks think this will shake out?

Do you believe those insiders know or is UM's conference future still pretty much up in the air?

The conference commissioners and TV bigwigs seem to keep a tight lid on leaks, but undoubtedly there are people close enough to their inner circle who do know

I'll be as direct as I can be.

Quite a few people felt like we had a solid strategy for a long, slow build-up. AAU membership. Greater commitment to coaching staffs and facilities. Nice collegial relationships, including Frenk supporting "let's get back to football" during COVID.

But I've said this before. The Washington/Oregon desperation changed everything. Washington/Oregon were not the preferred partners of USC/UCLA. Washington/Oregon weren't even in the top 2 spots for the Big 10. But their ploy to take half-shares changed EVERYONE'S calculus. It was obvious that the networks would do anything, for the right price. That move ****ed up the expected timeline and the expected pecking order.

I said it then and it is still true. Washington/Oregon changed everything. Moreso than Texas/Oklahoma. Moreso than USC/UCLA. At least with those pairs of teams, you could expect movement, they were the two most desirable teams in their respective conferences.

But no matter how many Grey's Anatomy/Portlandia fans try to convince you that Washington/Oregon are some great programs that everyone covets, it's a load of horse****. On every level. No matter how koool you think Oregon's uniforms are.

Washington is the 13th largest state, with 7.8 million people. Oregon is the 27th largest, with 4.2 million people. For media markets, you've got Sea-Tac at #12 and Portland at #22. After that? Spokane at #67. Outside of California, the Washington-Oregon area is surrounded by Alaska and Canada and Idaho and Nevada (Vegas is in the far southern end of Nevada).

And I know, I know, "population isn't everything". Except, in this case, you have a fairly weak sports market. Those 12 million people are concentrated in two areas with a LOT of land in between, and football is not nearly as big of a deal up there as it is in the southeast. Travel is challenging, both for local fans and rival fans. Three of the four big sports universities in those states are fairly remote from the two big urban areas. So these are not natural and enthusiastic sports markets, at least not nearly as other available schools are in other parts of the country.

But Washington/Oregon took half. And not only cranked up their spots in the pecking order, but fundamentally changed the economics and bargaining positions for everyone else. BEFORE Washington/Oregon, F$U thought that the Big 10 would pay their exit fee. BEFORE Washington/Oregon, nobody thought SMU would take ZERO-POINT-ZERO to get into the ACC.

So while Miami spent a lot of time and political capital to position itself, and has done (almost) as much as it can do, the Washington/Oregon situation screwed everything up on the "expectations" side. Now it is much harder to know how many schools the SEC and Big 10 might take, and what kinds of arrangements might need to be made. ****, if SMU offered to play in the SEC for free, do we honestly believe that a proposal like that would be rejected without discussion? That could be a very tempting offer for the SEC.

Speaking to people who know, there are certain things that are in Miami's favor and/or that Miami can impact. But there are some other factors that are a lot more complicated and are out of our hands.

I still believe that a lot of people feel that "Florida" is too big for the Big 10 to ignore us forever. But how much the Big 10 will pay (and when) were heavily impacted by Washington/Oregon.

And as evidenced by Washington's university budget, a Big 10 half-share will exceed an ACC full-share.

1719312334863.png

I'll be as direct as I can be.

Quite a few people felt like we had a solid strategy for a long, slow build-up. AAU membership. Greater commitment to coaching staffs and facilities. Nice collegial relationships, including Frenk supporting "let's get back to football" during COVID.

But I've said this before. The Washington/Oregon desperation changed everything. Washington/Oregon were not the preferred partners of USC/UCLA. Washington/Oregon weren't even in the top 2 spots for the Big 10. But their ploy to take half-shares changed EVERYONE'S calculus. It was obvious that the networks would do anything, for the right price. That move ****ed up the expected timeline and the expected pecking order.

I said it then and it is still true. Washington/Oregon changed everything. Moreso than Texas/Oklahoma. Moreso than USC/UCLA. At least with those pairs of teams, you could expect movement, they were the two most desirable teams in their respective conferences.

But no matter how many Grey's Anatomy/Portlandia fans try to convince you that Washington/Oregon are some great programs that everyone covets, it's a load of horse****. On every level. No matter how koool you think Oregon's uniforms are.

Washington is the 13th largest state, with 7.8 million people. Oregon is the 27th largest, with 4.2 million people. For media markets, you've got Sea-Tac at #12 and Portland at #22. After that? Spokane at #67. Outside of California, the Washington-Oregon area is surrounded by Alaska and Canada and Idaho and Nevada (Vegas is in the far southern end of Nevada).

And I know, I know, "population isn't everything". Except, in this case, you have a fairly weak sports market. Those 12 million people are concentrated in two areas with a LOT of land in between, and football is not nearly as big of a deal up there as it is in the southeast. Travel is challenging, both for local fans and rival fans. Three of the four big sports universities in those states are fairly remote from the two big urban areas. So these are not natural and enthusiastic sports markets, at least not nearly as other available schools are in other parts of the country.

But Washington/Oregon took half. And not only cranked up their spots in the pecking order, but fundamentally changed the economics and bargaining positions for everyone else. BEFORE Washington/Oregon, F$U thought that the Big 10 would pay their exit fee. BEFORE Washington/Oregon, nobody thought SMU would take ZERO-POINT-ZERO to get into the ACC.

So while Miami spent a lot of time and political capital to position itself, and has done (almost) as much as it can do, the Washington/Oregon situation screwed everything up on the "expectations" side. Now it is much harder to know how many schools the SEC and Big 10 might take, and what kinds of arrangements might need to be made. ****, if SMU offered to play in the SEC for free, do we honestly believe that a proposal like that would be rejected without discussion? That could be a very tempting offer for the SEC.

Speaking to people who know, there are certain things that are in Miami's favor and/or that Miami can impact. But there are some other factors that are a lot more complicated and are out of our hands.

I still believe that a lot of people feel that "Florida" is too big for the Big 10 to ignore us forever. But how much the Big 10 will pay (and when) were heavily impacted by Washington/Oregon.

And as evidenced by Washington's university budget, a Big 10 half-share will exceed an ACC full-share.

View attachment 292757

I think that is right. And everything we know, tells us we don’t have anywhere to go at the moment. So control what you can, including supporting the ACC lawsuits and continue to work on your University and Athletic Department. My guess is if they go outside, which I think they definitely will, they try to make a big splash with the President hire.

Advertisement
Back