MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

How is the B1G better financially for the Athletic Departments at FSU and Clemson? College Presidents dislike having to help fund sports just as AD's dislike being told who to hire by presidents who don't know jack about sports.

How does it benefit (1) the SEC and how does it benefit (2) ESPN to let FSU and Clemson go to the Big Ten? Forget any notion of CFP-related horse trading by ESPN and FOX? Why on earth would Greg F. Sankey allow his expansion strategy to be impacted by something has inconsequential in the big picture as a six-year deal for a month-long CFP? Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

I don't doubt B1G/FOX and SEC/ESPN are working together on realignment.

Sankey wants who he wants from the ACC.

Tony Petitti no doubt has his eye on shaking loose Notre Dame and, to a lesser extent, Miami.

Destabilizing the ACC gets that ball rolling for both sides
Who says the SEC WANTS FSU & Clemson as much as the Big 10 does? Who said his expansion strategy includes FSU as a priority. All I read about is #1 UNC, #2 UVA as tandem to lock up the core of the SEC geographic region. The BIG has a media deal as good or better than the SEC and it will get stronger with the addition of FSU / Clemson.

Advertisement
That doesn't bode well for us.
Alternatively it also means nothing about what you do tomorrow, sincerely Washington and Oregon

And I am not one of these guys thinking that Miami is playing 8D chess or something, I would prefer that we had abstained, but it truly isn’t guaranteed to mean anything about what comes the day after tomorrow.

Last edited:
Disagree ... If Miami can win 10-11 games regular season and win the ACC (finally) ... and land another top recruiting class ... it will certainly change the narrative that Miami isn't investing in football and improving. There are B10 presidents that value Miami for the combination of academics and football, from all I have read it is FOX sports that dropped Miami down the "desirable" chart after looking at current viewer trends. Win, demonstrate the foundation is there, viewer numbers follow. Make the CFP and things change.
I dunno… i think whatever moves going to be made will be made shortly… and then its quiet for the next few years. Not seeing Miami going anywhere in this upcoming wave.
But win for the next few years and when the next wave hits, hopefully we’ll be right there at the most desirable.

Advertisement
Alternatively it also means nothing about what you do tomorrow, sincerely Washington and Oregon

And I am not one of these guys thinking that Miami is playing 8D chess or something, I would prefer that we had abstained, but it truly isn’t guaranteed to mean anything about what comes the day after tomorrow.
In the grand scheme, it means nothing. But I'd have preferred for the ACC to be nervous thinking we're waiting for someone to hold the door open for us.

I doubt Miami's smart enough to be playing 8d chess, but I'd like to think they have a preferred path other than "We'll see."

Who says the SEC WANTS FSU & Clemson as much as the Big 10 does? Who said his expansion strategy includes FSU as a priority. All I read about is #1 UNC, #2 UVA as tandem to lock up the core of the SEC geographic region. The BIG has a media deal as good or better than the SEC and it will get stronger with the addition of FSU / Clemson.
This. The SEC and the BIG10 do not have the same strategy for their conference and thus have different realignment targets. The SEC wants to remain a super regional conference while the BIG is going national. The SEC has made it no secret who they are targeting at 17 and 18. 19 and 20 are where it gets interesting, but the timeline on that is not set.

In the grand scheme, it means nothing. But I'd have preferred for the ACC to be nervous thinking we're waiting for someone to hold the door open for us.

I doubt Miami's smart enough to be playing 8d chess, but I'd like to think they have a preferred path other than "We'll see."

Right. That’s why half the board is like “we’ll Miami this” …

Vs

IMG_1515.jpeg

Advertisement
Most of the schools you listed have had numerous 10-11 win seasons,won conference championships and played in the CFP…

How many have we competed in since 2001…I’ll tell you 1 and we got blasted.

I’m not sure there are more than 1 of the schools you listed that you can honestly say you wouldn’t have traded accomplishments with over the last 2 decades….being relevant to a network is more than what you did twenty years ago.If it wasn’t for 30 for 30’s I’m not sure a lot of people under 25 would have a clue how good we were.

Since 2001?

2002 - 12-win season, #2 final ranking, played for the national championship, lost on the scoreboard, but really won.
2003 - 11-win season, #5 final ranking, if not for the 4-point home loss to Tennessee in the Kellen Winslow "Soldier" game, Miami has a shot to play for the national championship (two 1-loss teams did).
2004 - 9-3 season, #11 final ranking.
2005 - 9-3 season, #17 final ranking, if not for the Seventh Floor Crew scandal right before our 4-point loss to GaTech, and the 3-point loss at F$U on Labor Day, we would have been undefeated.
2009 - 9-4 season, #19 final ranking, team that should not have lost at home in OT to unranked Clemson.
2013 - 9-4 team that should not have lost to VaTech or Duke.
2016 - 9-4 season, #20 final ranking, team that should not have lost four in a row, three of them by 1 point, 3 points, and 7 points.
2017 - 10-3 season, #13 final ranking, team that lost one game before the ACC-CG.
2020 - 8-3, season, #22 final ranking, in a COVID-shortened season.

Quite honestly, I think @Rickd is correct. We've known we're not at the top of the list and I don't think it's negative to point that out.

The question is if/how we can move up in that pecking order. When I look at the Big 10, I see us over Clemson because of academics, AAU and research. I also see us over UNC because of the drama with NC ST and the entire state government/ university system debacle. Also, the rivalries we could renew that would draw plenty of eyes. There is nothing we can do to gain consideration in the SEC. Even our pedigree doesn't help there.

Our best strategy is to keep positive news going out and win.
Agreed.

For good measure though, I've taken the liberty of putting horse heads in Warren's and Sankey's beds.

Advertisement
NCAA approved logos on mid field yesterday

Saw this tweet

What be some others??

Can't wait till they go to the full NASCAR-ization of the sport. Restrepo scores a TD in his uniform with as many corporate sponsor logos as can fit on it. He comes off the field, takes off his helmet, and an equipment guy hands him a baseball cap to put on immediately. Instead of the "U", it has the Coca-Cola logo on it.

Can't wait till they go to the full NASCAR-ization of the sport. Restrepo scores a TD in his uniform with as many corporate sponsor logos as can fit on it. He comes off the field, takes off his helmet, and an equipment guy hands him a baseball cap to put on immediately. Instead of the "U", it has the Coca-Cola logo on it.
That could be next!!

Advertisement
One thing I don't get is if Miami was part of the Magnificent Seven .... actively seeking a way out of the ACC ... why would Miami vote retroactively to approve the ACC's law suit against FSU? At the very least just abstain.

One thing I don't get is if Miami was part of the Magnificent Seven .... actively seeking a way out of the ACC ... why would Miami vote retroactively to approve the ACC's law suit against FSU? At the very least just abstain.

Why raise a red flag?

When the time comes, UM can go from supporting Jim Phillips and the ACC to "doing what we need to do in the best interests of the University of Miami."

Like Texas A&M and Missouri did.

Like Oklahoma and Texas did.

Like UCLA and USC did.

Like UW and Oregon did.

And so on

Apparently several other members of the Magnificent Seven did as well.

Since 2001?

2002 - 12-win season, #2 final ranking, played for the national championship, lost on the scoreboard, but really won.
2003 - 11-win season, #5 final ranking, if not for the 4-point home loss to Tennessee in the Kellen Winslow "Soldier" game, Miami has a shot to play for the national championship (two 1-loss teams did).
2004 - 9-3 season, #11 final ranking.
2005 - 9-3 season, #17 final ranking, if not for the Seventh Floor Crew scandal right before our 4-point loss to GaTech, and the 3-point loss at F$U on Labor Day, we would have been undefeated.
2009 - 9-4 season, #19 final ranking, team that should not have lost at home in OT to unranked Clemson.
2013 - 9-4 team that should not have lost to VaTech or Duke.
2016 - 9-4 season, #20 final ranking, team that should not have lost four in a row, three of them by 1 point, 3 points, and 7 points.
2017 - 10-3 season, #13 final ranking, team that lost one game before the ACC-CG.
2020 - 8-3, season, #22 final ranking, in a COVID-shortened season.
A lot of if and should not have on that list with that list you made has a lot actually dids…..not going back and forth with you cause I have no chance with your brilliance on a keyboard I’ll just say us winning now and winning big will help our position…peace out ✌🏼

Advertisement
Back