MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

This is a **** good point/idea.

I'm honestly asking here. I have no idea what the rules/the law is when it comes to this. But basically what you're saying that because ESPN hasn't opted in yet, technically.. there's nothing to buy out (yet)?

If this is the case, then why wouldn't they take this route?

I'm not quite sure. It's worth investigating.

Couple of years of digging around and the answer was right in front of us all along...

Advertisement

Couple of years of digging around and the answer was right in front of us all along...

I would love to see espn try to argue the validity of their extension past 2027 in court

They basically would incriminate themselves on multiple basic contract law points

Including bylaws of the conference and schools to enter into such an agreement

Any idea why ESPN hasn't opted in? Why was there ever a need to wait? Seems pretty obvious they were getting the ACC at a ridiculously low price. I just don't understand why they delayed exercising it to begin with.

+ It is highly doubtful ESPN will exercise the option to extend as the most valuable program(s) might be gone so they would not want it even at the below market price agreed to in the media rights agreement. Let the ACC die on the vine.

I would love to see espn try to argue the validity of their extension past 2027 in court

They basically would incriminate themselves on multiple basic contract law points

Including bylaws of the conference and schools to enter into such an agreement

We transferred our rights to the ACC to do a deal with ESPN.

The ACC then sold those rights to ESPN for nine years longer than ESPN promised to pay us money.

When you actually put it into words, you realize how insane it sounds.

Why did WE not have an option for 2027? It's just staggering.

Advertisement
+ It is highly doubtful ESPN will exercise the option to extend as the most valuable program(s) might be gone so they would not want it even at the below market price agreed to in the media rights agreement. Let the ACC die on the vine.

And this is the most insane notion of all...

Because if ESPN did not renew in 2027...and the rights that the ACC sold to ESPN revert back to the ACC...then the ACC could just re-sell our rights to The CW.

Makes sense. Great outcome, right? Surely, the GOR is "irrevocable and ironclad", right?

I've said it for a while, both the original GOR and the extension to the GOR were terrible agreements that should never be enforced by a court.

Because if ESPN did not renew in 2027...and the rights that the ACC sold to ESPN revert back to the ACC...then the ACC could just re-sell our rights to The CW.

Makes sense. Great outcome, right? Surely, the GOR is "irrevocable and ironclad", right?

I've said it for a while, both the original GOR and the extension to the GOR were terrible agreements that should never be enforced by a court.

I’d bet that before the CFB 2024 season kicks off fsu paves the way for a settlement, with behind the scenes support from Miami and Clemson

OK, after a lengthy consultation...

I think Miami should give the ACC exit notice IMMEDIATELY and offer to pay the FULL damages under the GOR.

We can negotiate the ACC Constitution exit fee amount (and Maryland did too).

Then, since we are too late to exit for the 2024-2025 season, we roll along as is for next year.

We then cut a check for the 2025-2026 and 2026-2027 seasons. The TWO seasons that are currently under contract with ESPN.

We also cut a check for the 2027-2036 years. Except, because there ARE NO 2027-2036 seasons yet, the check is for zero-point-zero.

Do it NOW, before ESPN exercises its option to pick up the 2027-2036 years.

View attachment 275349
View attachment 275350
I agree.
Like I said we can get out for $215M MAX today.
If we can negotiate exit fee down I think as low as $175-$150M…

Advertisement
We transferred our rights to the ACC to do a deal with ESPN.

The ACC then sold those rights to ESPN for nine years longer than ESPN promised to pay us money.

When you actually put it into words, you realize how insane it sounds.

Why did WE not have an option for 2027? It's just staggering.
That sounds like an illusory contract but that’s not my area of expertise.

WestCentralEast
UCLAOSUPenn State
USCMichiganRutgers
OregonNorthwesternMaryland
WashingtonIlllinoisMichigan St.
NebraskaIndianaFSU
MinnesotaPurdueUM
IowaWisconsin
I like their current strategy of you get like 3 protected games and the rest is a full on rotation. Makes it so we actually play everyone within like 4 years.

But anyway if we do go divisions with 20 teams you likely have to do 4 divisions of 5 teams probably. That way you have 4 in division games yearly. The you always play one of the other 3 divisions fully (that’d be 9 games). Then you can play 1 or 2 in another division (so can still have a permanent rival outside of division this way)

So kick MSU out of East. Minnesota and Iowa out of West. And like Wisconsin and Illinois out of Central to form its own division.

That sounds like an illusory contract but that’s not my area of expertise.

Or, you know, getting something for 9 years that you don't actually pay for. Bizarre...

1703634844707.png

Advertisement
No consideration for the new option? That should kill it.

From your lips to God's ears.

Goodness, it wasn't that long ago that we had CIS porsters telling us how the GOR extension offered consideration because it contained the words "for good and valuable consideration". Which is now turning out to be more worthless than a mess of pottage. By the way, what IS a mess of pottage?

@TheOriginalCane
Even better would ALSO be saying the GOR has a total value of $86M but a contractual length of 11 years if we exit for 2025 season. Therefore we pay $7.81M/yr. If you want a lump sum settlement we pay half. Lol

I really see us getting out for $175M if we are aggressive. Or just $138M immediately and $7.8M/yr. Worth it to me

Advertisement
WestCentralEast
UCLAOSUPenn State
USCMichiganRutgers
NebraskaIndianaFSU
MinnesotaPurdueUM
IowaWisconsin
Nah if they go 20 it will be 4 divisions of 5 or 2 of 10. With protected rivals not necessarily in their division

no way that works scheduling or championship wise

Last edited:

Whole point is that the members SHOULD be able to dictate if any NEW agreement is accepted. The 9 year extension is BS as there was no consideration ever received it should not be valid. GOR should terminate in 2027.

Whole point is that the members SHOULD be able to dictate if any NEW agreement is accepted. The 9 year extension is BS as there was no consideration ever received it should not be valid. GOR should terminate in 2027.

The terms in the 9yr extension are so one sided, and bereft of basic consideration, I wondered how that could get past a dozen schools and their leadership.

Question answered as the schools were never given a chance to negotiate the terms of the extension

This will go down the legal rabbit hole as now this gets into fiduciary responsibility and agency laws

WestCentralEast
UCLAOSUPenn State
USCMichiganRutgers
NebraskaIndianaFSU
MinnesotaPurdueUM
IowaWisconsin

OK, so I’m going to try my earnest not to give my best @TheOriginalCane impression, but I may have no choice. Lol

As many now know based upon breaking news I provided many months b4 they come to fruition, I have connections to the networks. Right now, CFB is a mess, but what’s saving CFB just like the NFL is Vegas. It’s no different than why the NCAAB tourney is so popular vs. in season games, Vegas. As a whole, however, FBS need a full reform, & I wish I had the opportunity to talk w/ those in charge.

The networks are capitalizing on Vegas, but the reason why the SEC & B1G have so much more financial commitment towards them vs. other conferences is due to viewership. Viewership is high in these conferences b/c, well, to be frank outside of a few schools, it ain’t **** to do out there; therefore, those college teams are their everything. Out West, there’s several pro teams, & plenty of other activities, just like along the Atlantic, & out East in many big cities. So of course ESPN & Fox r going to throw their weight behind those middle of the nowhere, farmland, incestuous areas where college sports is EVERYTHING for them.

OK, now that’s that out the way, I talked to some producers from “The Mothership” over the holidays w/ some liquor involved lol. I told them there’s a happy medium to this, and Chip Kelly nailed it; keep the conferences in tact for b-ball, baseball, & all Olympic Sports, but break off the P4 into their own leagues, and allow the G5 to remain in conference.

Several things to take place:

1) Expand the FBS CFP to 16 teams.

2) Place the 69 + 1 (ND) P4 teams into regions:
West - USC, UCLA, UO, UW, WSU, BYU, Utah, OrSU, AU, ASU, CU, Cal, Stanford, SMU, Baylor, TCU, TT, Houston

East - Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, UVA, VT, BC, UNC, Duke, WF, NCST, UCF, UK, UL, GT

South - Bama, UTenn, Miami, FSU, Clemson, UGA, Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas, Auburn, UF, USCe, Vandy, LSU, USCe, UT, TAMU, OU

North - UofM, MichSU, OSU, Neb, KU, KSU, OKSU, Illinois, Minnesota, Mizzou, NW, Iowa, Iowa St, Wisky, ND, UI, Purdue

Break these regions into quads of 4, & 5’s. Example, the East would have 3 quads of 4 teams, with one quad having 5, while the South would have two quads of 5 teams & two quads of 4.

3) Reduce the regular season games to a 10 game schedule that includes 1 G5 opponent, 1 out of region opponent, & 8 games within region, w/ the quads having to play each other annually.

4) Top 2 teams based upon overall record in each region will face in the Regional Championship Game.

5) All seeding will be based upon CFP rankings, but the CFP needs reformation, as well. It needs to be completely open & transparent.

6) The round of 16 is played at the home fields of the top seeds 2 weeks after the Regional & Conference (G5) Championship games. The round of 8 will involve two tier 1 bowls (in rotation), and two NY6 bowls (in rotation). The final four will involve two NY6 bowls (in rotation). The CFPCG will involve one NY6 bowl (in rotation)

7) All non CFP tier 1 & the NY6 bowls not used during the CFP will be used for teams ranked 17th - 26th in the final rankings.

8) All bowl earnings will be placed in the pot that each school is conference affiliated w/ for all other sports (i.e Miami wins National Championship, monies is still distributed to full time ACC members)

9) Conferences are allowed to negotiate outside network distribution deals to help supplement disparity, like streaming services.

10) NIL involving collectives working on behalf of Universities need to be capped for incoming student athletes, but NIL opportunities such as commercials w/ unbiased affiliates like Gatorade, Nike, Adidas, Panara, etc. are to remain uncapped.

11) If The Transfer Portal is going to remain in tact as is, remove 4 year scholarship obligations by Universities. Scholarships should now be treated as contracts on a full year to year basis. There also needs to be a window change, since scholarships will be for a full year, meaning entire season. (Bowl games are apart of the season). The window needs to be after the bowl season - for 2 weeks, & at the end of the Spring Semester for two weeks. Only one transfer allowed for a school year.

12) Since FBS doesn’t award a NCAA National Title, The NCAA is only the governing body when it pertains to academic eligibility, sportsmanship (e.g UofM scandal), but FBS needs a Commissioner, preferably one that’s either a former AD that’s not currently affiliated w/ any FBS schools or former Chancellor/President.

I presented this to my cousin’s colleagues & they literally clapped. However, as we agreed, as long as the blurred lines of incompetent bureaucrats are involved who can’t see past today, it won’t happen. Imo, the long term health and $$$ would be exponentially higher & solves several issues going this route.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back