MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

All I know is this:

Today, August 10, 2023, Clemson, FSU, ND and Miami are all in the same boat. Brand names, each with multiple national championships, and currently awaiting their fate for an invitation to the BIG or SEC. Rumors be damned.

To my knowledge, there aren’t ANY other schools outside the BIG and SEC with similar resumes of those four left?

Can anyone name one?
Historically speaking? Pittsburgh with their national titles from the 1910-1930s. They last won it in 76 and ND won in 77 and 88. Pretty comparable but haven't been as competitive the last few decades.

Georgia Tech has won 4 and has won one more recently than ND and Pitt (and Penn State)

Advertisement
Historically speaking? Pittsburgh with their national titles from the 1910-1930s. They last won it in 76 and ND won in 77 and 88. Pretty comparable but haven't been as competitive the last few decades.

Georgia Tech has won 4 and has won one more recently than ND and Pitt (and Penn State)
Notre Lame was GIFTED their '88 natty.

Do your job and report back

My check must be in the mail huh

Nothing earth shattering, but confirmed several items

AAU is meaningful to big ten and university presidents

UNC has the biggest influence on ACC conference

Gators **** blocked fsu to SEC back in the day

ACC screwed itself by crafting the GOR to prevent teams from leaving and had absolutely zero forethought to getting the best tv deal it could

ACC almost added UConn back in the day

I feel it's time to update the thread title as we're now at...checks notes...page 537 with significant updates since then 205.
Every porst here is a significant update. We do'n ultra deep CIS dives into, "hey i think SEC really/doesnt really want Miami". "hey, I think BIG10 really/doesnt really want Miami"

"hey, what do you guys think about ACC expanding teams to Madagascar's tire rolling first premier league with bamboo poles?"

Advertisement
Get what you're saying but Pac-12 has no GOR unlike ACC..

No doubt it's an obstacle.

But in this day and age, political tides and the willingness to cut a deal (i.e. check) to satisfy "most" of the involved parties is often enough to override a signed document.

I think the decision-makers at FOX and ESPN and the commissioners of the B1G and SEC are absolutely caught up in moving the pieces on the chess board as they see fit. What a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (and ego trip, too).

Whatever they've got to pay to make it happen and fulfill their vision ... well, **** it, it's somebody else's money, right?

Good find because i was struggling to think of any off the top of the head lol

8 votes are needed to dissolve the conference and that will make ESPN's position of having media rights for ACC members much more difficult to litigate effectively. If the conference is dissolved then the ACCN is neutered.
FSU/Clemson going to the SEC makes this scenario more realistic. SEC could take FSU/Clemson +2 more ACC schools to get to 20. B1G may just want to take 2 ACC schools and stay at 20, but if ND is really concerned about Stanford/Cal getting in a major conference, B1G could say we’ll take Stanford/Cal if ND joins. Then add 3 more ACC schools (Miami +2) to get to 24. Counting ND, that would be 8 landing spots for ACC schools in the P2 and they could vote to dissolve the ACC.

Advertisement

thumb_prepare-your-****-memegenerator-net-ewok-prepare-your-angus-www-topsimages-com-49104002.png

Advertisement
Perhaps UM is voting yes or abstaining on expansion because it might not be a good look when we end up joining the B1G with Cal and Stanford

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Why should the ACC be charitable and further jeopardize the financial health of the members. They were abandoned by an100 year old conference. Andrea has her ESPN glasses on. If ACCN goes is her job also in jeopardy? Maybe the darling of ESPN, the SEC, should be charitable (fat chance)
Season 3 Mistake GIF by The Simpsons

Advertisement
Why should the ACC be charitable and further jeopardize the financial health of the members. They were abandoned by an100 year old conference. Andrea has her ESPN glasses on. If ACCN goes is her job also in jeopardy? Maybe the darling of ESPN, the SEC, should be charitable (fat chance)

Andrea Adelson is the Boston College or Wake Forest of ESPN. Getting a check every month but sitting in her cubicle drinking her Diet Coke when the big meetings are held.

Might be wiser to listen to Kirk Herbstreit back in June: "I feel like the Big Ten and the SEC, who are the big pillars in this whole thing ... I don't know when it's gonna happen, but they're not staying at 16. They're going to go to at least 20. Who's going where? Where's North Carolina going? Where's Oregon going? Where's Washington going? Where's Clemson gonna end up? Where's Florida State gonna go? Where's Miami (going)?"

This **** is going down no matter how much some people say it ain't

ACC needs to think outside the box.

Here is an idea. Why not take the PAC 4 and add SDSU and Memphis and rename the conference PACC? Strong hoops conference, decent football conference with national presence. . Why not make the ACC stronger and instead of just thinking TV deal maybe partner up with a corporate partner like Nike or Adidas and possibly diversify your revenue streams while enhancing brand recognition. I’d watch games on The Nike Channel or The Adidas Network or The Jordan if it benefits Miami and the conference.
Unless FSU or Clemson decide to challenge the exit fees in court or there is a major revolt (I highly doubt it) then the ACC needs to stop being reactive and start being innovative and proactive.

I’m not saying titles before the 1970’s don’t count, but football in general looked so different back then, you could almost confuse the sport for something else. There are glimpses of modern offenses in the 1980’s at least, maybe a little before. Remember how hard it was to actually crown a title winner? How many schools did Pitt play in a season in 1914? The road to a “title” was nothing like it was 70, 80, or 90 years later.

Advertisement
Back