MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Here's my best case scenario:

ACC ponies up big $$$ to keep everyone happy.

Adding Stanford & Cal is a no brainer. Great academics and a classic rivalry. ACC gets west coast exposure.

Add SMU & Memphis & to get into Tennessee & Texas & call it a day.

What pile of money is the conference sitting on from which they could pony?

IMO, there is no point or choice to salvage the ACC with adding anyone available.. Even as the standalone #3 conference.. Once the Big 2 get up and running, everyone else will get left in the dust..... Those 2 conferences will RUN everything... and the recruits will only want to play in those two...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
That‘s fair but it is also what was said during the Blake James/Manny Diaz dismissal saga.

That's what the loser-mopes can't admit.

That their whole "20 years a loser" justification doesn't hold up under scrutiny when you have hired a new AD and head football coach.

Sure, they can linger on, whining for the first year like "nothing has changed", but very soon their schticks will be cut off.

Advertisement
That's what the loser-mopes can't admit.

That their whole "20 years a loser" justification doesn't hold up under scrutiny when you have hired a new AD and head football coach.

Sure, they can linger on, whining for the first year like "nothing has changed", but very soon their schticks will be cut off.
I first read this as "...their ****s will be cut off."

I thought to myself, ****, @RVACane is no longer ******* around. This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.

B1G has been flirting with GT for years. GT might not be the top of their wishlist, but if it greases the wheels to dissolving the GOR and making the moves happen, I'd bet GT would go ahead and be a take. So I could see this as being plausible.

But the harder programs for me to believe leaving would be the NC and VA schools. Their roots in the ACC go back deep, politically it's going to be hard for them to peel out, with or without landing spots for all the programs in the league.
Nothing would surprise me at this point, but I think people are sleeping on GT going to be the Big 10...academics and the Atlanta market make GT very attractive to the Big 10. I get GT isn't a large TV draw, but that's not the point, the point is opening up Atlanta to the entire Big 10, which people seem to overlook. Again, time will tell

FSU and Clemson are SEC bound
Miami is B10 bound
ND with a scheduling agreement

UNC, NC St, Ga Tech and the rest, who gives a hoot
If FSU has to take out a half billion dollar loan to leave the ACC, I think most likely they either end up in the SEC or end up in the B1G with Stanford. Nobody wants to straddle down with debt of that magnitude, it would take longer to pay it off than just staying in the ACC and accepting whatever payout you get for the next 13 years.

As for all the other conference teams, it's fun to speculate about.

Advertisement
Back