MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

No sources or sauces, but I believe that the University of MIami will join the B10 along with at lease Notre Dame in the year 2026
3c42606a-59f7-4ec4-ba63-74dcf11d154d_text.gif

Advertisement
And how do you propose the university get out from the binding Grant of Rights?

Nothing is happening for years until ESPN is ready to renegotiate. 2030ish.
Have you actually been following this thread ... read anything? So far two approaches have been put forth.

First, the most realistic approach to at least minimize litigation, is the dissolution of the ACC Conference. It takes 8 votes to dissolve the conference ... a simple majority. There are more than 8 programs interested in leaving so the speculation is that there is a lot of back room discussions and good old fashion negotiating taking place to find homes for those 8 programs ... at a minimum ... and potentially as many as 10-12 ACC programs in other conferences (for discussion sake ... 4 to the B10, 4 to the SEC, and 4 to the B12). No conference then no GOR in force.

Second, members leave individually. This approach is very costly, involving a $120 million dollar exit fee and loss of rights to HOME GAMES for the term of the GOR with the ACC. There is speculation that some negotiation might be doable and there has also been speculation that the TERM of the GOR combined with the dramatic gap in funds being received by B10 programs and ACC programs ... might be sufficient to sway the courts in looking at the GOR as unreasonable in restraint of trade and viewed as being exactly what the Sherman Act was intended to prohibit.

My money is on the dissolution of the ACC conference. Soon. UM playing in the B10 in 2026.

Have you actually been following this thread ... read anything? So far two approaches have been put forth.

First, the most realistic approach to at least minimize litigation, is the dissolution of the ACC Conference. It takes 8 votes to dissolve the conference ... a simple majority. There are more than 8 programs interested in leaving so the speculation is that there is a lot of back room discussions and good old fashion negotiating taking place to find homes for those 8 programs ... at a minimum ... and potentially as many as 10-12 ACC programs in other conferences (for discussion sake ... 4 to the B10, 4 to the SEC, and 4 to the B12). No conference then no GOR in force.

Second, members leave individually. This approach is very costly, involving a $120 million dollar exit fee and loss of rights to HOME GAMES for the term of the GOR with the ACC. There is speculation that some negotiation might be doable and there has also been speculation that the TERM of the GOR combined with the dramatic gap in funds being received by B10 programs and ACC programs ... might be sufficient to sway the courts in looking at the GOR as unreasonable in restraint of trade and viewed as being exactly what the Sherman Act was intended to prohibit.

My money is on the dissolution of the ACC conference. Soon. UM playing in the B10 in 2026.

Miami runs through the smoke in 2026 wearing Jordan Brand as a member of the BIG…

I’m good with it

Advertisement

Thank you

Advertisement
Your post proves you have not been keeping up. That GOR will be broken soon enough.
No, I keep up. The Miami and Clemson
fans are in denial. Most of the ACC boards with the heavy lawyer nerds don't see it happening. Extremely unlikely.

* Zero ACC teams will vote for dissolution to go to the Big 12. The ACC is better. I think most would vote if they had an ironclad offer for the SEC/Big. But the #s aren't there yet. Maybe in 5 years, not now.

* I think it unlikely North Carolina or Virginia regents would allow Carolina or UVA to leave without their little brothers. Completely different systems than U California.

* not even convinced the SEC is in a hurry to grow more at all. The playoff money will be huge with their bids and no need to split that pie further. Big10 definitely wants to grow.

* waiting on better reporting on how many schools need to vote to dissolve. I've read North Carolina law is simple majority, but that would be super unusual for this kind of membership organization to not have 3/4 or similar supermajority criteria in its organizational charter. Has there been a leak or is 50% just speculation?

*ESPN has a great deal with the ACC and won't want it blown up.

*given the GOR, IMO, I think it more likely that the ACC hobbies along in third place, moves to more unequal distributions, and tries to find a way to shed Wake or BC through certain new arbitrary qualifications to keep football membership. Some of those smaller schools may not want to compete as it goes to 100% pay to play.

*if the money was closer ($10mm delta, not $30mm), most acc schools will prefer the easier path in the ACC, plus the presidents like the acc academics way more than the SEC.

I do love the discussion here but it seems more hope/cope than realistic.

No, I keep up. The Miami and Clemson
fans are in denial. Most of the ACC boards with the heavy lawyer nerds don't see it happening. Extremely unlikely.

* Zero ACC teams will vote for dissolution to go to the Big 12. The ACC is better. I think most would vote if they had an ironclad offer for the SEC/Big. But the #s aren't there yet. Maybe in 5 years, not now.

* I think it unlikely North Carolina or Virginia regents would allow Carolina or UVA to leave without their little brothers. Completely different systems than U California.

* not even convinced the SEC is in a hurry to grow more at all. The playoff money will be huge with their bids and no need to split that pie further. Big10 definitely wants to grow.

* waiting on better reporting on how many schools need to vote to dissolve. I've read North Carolina law is simple majority, but that would be super unusual for this kind of membership organization to not have 3/4 or similar supermajority criteria in its organizational charter. Has there been a leak or is 50% just speculation?

*ESPN has a great deal with the ACC and won't want it blown up.

*given the GOR, IMO, I think it more likely that the ACC hobbies along in third place, moves to more unequal distributions, and tries to find a way to shed Wake or BC through certain new arbitrary qualifications to keep football membership. Some of those smaller schools may not want to compete as it goes to 100% pay to play.

*if the money was closer ($10mm delta, not $30mm), most acc schools will prefer the easier path in the ACC, plus the presidents like the acc academics way more than the SEC.

I do love the discussion here but it seems more hope/cope than realistic.

You are wrong. And you are full of **** based on "reading other ACC boards with the heavy lawyer nerds".

Your entire premise is that we all know the building is burning down, but we're going to stay inside for another 12 years because we are afraid of a ****** and unenforceable contract.

I'm not even going to go into detail, you're not worth it. Your entire posting history on this subject has been factually and argumentatively incorrect. You're not worth the time or effort to itemize the arguments against you.

The GOR is not going to survive. Whether that happens by a vote to dissolve the conference, or by litigation that will result in the non-enforcement, that whole GOR is trash. And I'm also not going to waste time explaining it to you.

You're just wrong.

I am sure the other ACC schools want to hold us down to just hurt themselves also in the long run. If they play harball with the top half they will just **** us off and many other strong conferences will move onto other teams to solidify themselves and then when the GOR expires they have no where to go as only the top half takes remaining spots. They read the tea leaves, they are not going to hurt themselves in the long run and not have a landing spot. There is no way the GOR lasts for more than a few more years maximum.

Advertisement
You are wrong. And you are full of **** based on "reading other ACC boards with the heavy lawyer nerds".

Your entire premise is that we all know the building is burning down, but we're going to stay inside for another 12 years because we are afraid of a ****** and unenforceable contract.

I'm not even going to go into detail, you're not worth it. Your entire posting history on this subject has been factually and argumentatively incorrect. You're not worth the time or effort to itemize the arguments against you.

The GOR is not going to survive. Whether that happens by a vote to dissolve the conference, or by litigation that will result in the non-enforcement, that whole GOR is trash. And I'm also not going to waste time explaining it to you.

You're just wrong.
Lol, good argument

I've been drafting assignments for decades, it's not a controversial agreement, and of course they are enforceable

Last edited:
I can see USF as a dark horse for B1G expansion, as posted.

A lot of B1G fans are relocating to the Gulf coast. They and the conference would love 4-5 trips south each to Tampa and to Miami. The B1G TV ratings in both markets rise. UF and FSU fans couldn’t care less, true, but would no longer be the ‘only games in town‘. Michigan-Penn State-Ohio State-ETC at USF anyone? And at Miami? Alumni of all schools involved would love if they could make it happen.

Raymond James would sell out, or come close to, most B1G conference games. What does USF draw now?

Rutgers is a good comparison. The Knights weren’t added for competitive reasons. They were added, IMO, for recruiting inroads and the NY-NJ and other nearby TV markets. USF will never be a conference power. I doubt they could ever consistently recruit well enough against UF-FSU-Miami and other $EC and B1G schools. Better than Rutgers, okay. Maybe better than Indiana or Illinois or Maryland in some years.

JMO.

True.

Any of you ever been to Fort Myers and spent at least a day there? The amount of license plates from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, etc. is mind boggling. I thought all we had were mostly Northeasterners in Florida (growing up in South Florida) but go to the SW coast and it is Big Ten country. I could definitely see USF in at a later date.

Lol, good argument

I've been drafting assignments for decades, it's not a controversial agreement, and of course they are enforceable

You're the one citing all the legal authorities you read about on other ACC websites.

Ooooh, you've been "drafting assignments for decades". What a joke. You haven't even seen the GOR, but I know someone who has. And the simple reality is that there is no consideration for the extension of the Grant of Rights. The ACC Network deal was already done, so there was no reason to convey rights for a TV deal that had already been struck.

You should know the routine by now. No consideration, no contract.

But, please, tell me about all the collegiate conference Grant of Rights agreements that have been upheld and enforced by the courts. I'll wait. Oh right, there are no precedents. I realize that a lot of schools have been SCARED to challenge a GOR in court, but that will be much easier with this pile of **** agreement. It's unenforceable. You'll see.

Advertisement
You're the one citing all the legal authorities you read about on other ACC websites.

Ooooh, you've been "drafting assignments for decades". What a joke. You haven't even seen the GOR, but I know someone who has. And the simple reality is that there is no consideration for the extension of the Grant of Rights. The ACC Network deal was already done, so there was no reason to convey rights for a TV deal that had already been struck.

You should know the routine by now. No consideration, no contract.

But, please, tell me about all the collegiate conference Grant of Rights agreements that have been upheld and enforced by the courts. I'll wait. Oh right, there are no precedents. I realize that a lot of schools have been SCARED to challenge a GOR in court, but that will be much easier with this pile of **** agreement. It's unenforceable. You'll see.

Does he think all this chatter about conference expansion is planning for 2036??

Bwahahahaha

You're just wrong.
He is the ACC propaganda spreader brother. Don't listen him. Yo no escuche nada!

Advertisement
Back