MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

you’re right. I actually just work in the business itself. Thanks for clueing me in. Sorry I wasted all this time including roles at (checks LinkedIn) ESPN and Fox Sports. Thanks for steering me right.
Whatever. I guess you are bad at your job.

Basketball has huge upside if the conferences ever took the tournament away from the NCAA.

Advertisement
No they won’t- the SEC doesn’t need ND in any capacity and surely doesn’t need all the drama that comes with that institution. ND can scam all the other conferences- but not the SEC.
Notre Dame would never join the SEC. They care about academic rankings.

acc or big ten or stay independent.

No they won’t- the SEC doesn’t need ND in any capacity and surely doesn’t need all the drama that comes with that institution. ND can scam all the other conferences- but not the SEC.
They dont need ND that’s for sure but they would absolutely figure out a way to take ND as a full member if they wanted in Just to keep them out of the big ten. now one thing for sure is neither the big ten or sec would do this all sports but football things - they would either be in all the way or not- no “just the tip baby” crap

but Notre dame would not go SEC - if they did anything If acc implodes and the landscape somehow forced them it would be big 10

Advertisement
We're right about at the same place... the thing that I still see out there is where do CAL and Stanford rank within VT, NCST, PITT, L'VILLE, and UVA (who I value more than you and see in the B1G/SEC) and do they rank high enough to ***** the pooch?

Maybe enough ACC teams get bumped over CAL/STANFORD to get the deal done? Don't underestimate CAL/STANFORD. I'm not saying they are a shoo-in, but they are very rich, very powerful institutions with very rich, and very powerful alumni, in the 6th biggest media market in the US (bigger than Atlanta or Houston). I could see them committing to spending a certain amount going forward on athletics to help ensure their competitiveness. Or ****, maybe the Big 12 adds them all and goes to 22 if their media partners go along.

I think what's most likely going to happen is the Big12 and B1G will pick apart the Pac12, and the remaining ACC/Pac12 teams will merge. The conferences already tried to do it but without the structural changes needed. With Stanford, Cal, and the ACC schools, the ACC/Pac will be the undisputed "smart conference" and that might be enough to entice Notre Dame. Obviously wouldn't be regarded as good as SEC and B1G football-wise (especially since UM has contributed nothing to the acc since joining), but still a quality conference.

Overall the conference football reputations would be about the same as it is now. #1 SEC, #2 B1G, #3 ACC/PAC, #4 Big12. There would be no controversy over which one would be #1 in academics. And in terms of money, the ACC/PAC with a renegotiated contract would likely come in 4th, but it would be a lot closer than it is now (maybe 6-7 million less per year than the top paid conference). Obviously not perfect because it would be nice to have parity, but that's the price that Rad and the other ACC ADs have to pay for their own stupidity of signing a 20+ year deal with a grant of rights. The ACC/PAC hangs together for around 10 years and the when the ACC GOR expires in 2035, we'll see massive conference realignment.

you’re right. I actually just work in the business itself. Thanks for clueing me in. Sorry I wasted all this time including roles at (checks LinkedIn) ESPN and Fox Sports. Thanks for steering me right.
Your arguing with the resident gEnIuS @NorthernVirginiaCane

He doesn't know **** and gets proven wrong on the daily.

Why even bother with him?

Just laugh, point and go look at that! And keep going.

Advertisement
I think what's most likely going to happen is the Big12 and B1G will pick apart the Pac12, and the remaining ACC/Pac12 teams will merge. The conferences already tried to do it but without the structural changes needed. With Stanford, Cal, and the ACC schools, the ACC/Pac will be the undisputed "smart conference" and that might be enough to entice Notre Dame. Obviously wouldn't be regarded as good as SEC and B1G football-wise (especially since UM has contributed nothing to the acc since joining), but still a quality conference.

Overall the conference football reputations would be about the same as it is now. #1 SEC, #2 B1G, #3 ACC/PAC, #4 Big12. There would be no controversy over which one would be #1 in academics. And in terms of money, the ACC/PAC with a renegotiated contract would likely come in 4th, but it would be a lot closer than it is now (maybe 6-7 million less per year than the top paid conference). Obviously not perfect because it would be nice to have parity, but that's the price that Rad and the other ACC ADs have to pay for their own stupidity of signing a 20+ year deal with a grant of rights. The ACC/PAC hangs together for around 10 years and the when the ACC GOR expires in 2035, we'll see massive conference realignment.
Agree with your post. However, if ND cannot be enticed, no way they get within $6-7 million of the Big 10 schools. I'm not sure they would get that close even with ND.

In any case, getting close (i.e. $10 million per team or less) should satisfy any schools looking for greener pastures.

Basketball has huge upside if the conferences ever took the tournament away from the NCAA.

Interesting finance report:

B-ball schools are extremely valuable to a conference. Football is king, for sure, but b-ball schools have their place, as well.

I agree with some of this, but there is less than zero chance that ND joins a "dregs of the Pac-12 and ACC leftovers" conference. Sub-zero. It would be financial suicide for them. They don't want to join the ACC the way it is NOW, with FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC, UVA here.

These leftover teams that would remain are the PROBLEM with the ACC and Pac-12 right now. ND isn't going to go where FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC, UVA, USC, UCLA etc ran from and make it THEIR solo problem, where they're the only major draw in the conference and they're giving their $ away to the dregs. This conference would be FAR inferior to the current iterations of both the ACC and Pac-12. They literally would be ND and the XX dwarfs. They wouldn't make nearly HALF what the SEC or B1G bring in. Not a chance. Yay, Washington State vs. Wake Forest in prime time on the Ocho! Lol.

I really think some of the ACC will defect to the Big 12, anyway. They have to for us and our new friends to leave, anyway.

I agree with some of this, but there is less than zero chance that ND joins a "dregs of the Pac-12 and ACC leftovers" conference. Sub-zero. It would be financial suicide for them. They don't want to join the ACC the way it is NOW, with FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC, UVA here.

These leftover teams that would remain are the PROBLEM with the ACC and Pac-12 right now. ND isn't going to go where FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC, UVA, USC, UCLA etc ran from and make it THEIR solo problem, where they're the only major draw in the conference and they're giving their $ away to the dregs. This conference would be FAR inferior to the current iterations of both the ACC and Pac-12. They literally would be ND and the XX dwarfs. They wouldn't make nearly HALF what the SEC or B1G bring in. Not a chance. Yay, Washington State vs. Wake Forest in prime time on the Ocho! Lol.

I really think some of the ACC will defect to the Big 12, anyway. They have to for us and our new friends to leave, anyway.
Agree 100%. ND is so attractive for TV ratings / viewership, that they might be able to remain "a degree of independence" with some creative network deal, becoming "aligned" with the Big 10 once Miami / FSU / Clemson / UNC / UVA bail from the ACC and the conference disintegrates. No way ND is "left out" of prime time game scheduling against major programs ... those games just draw way too much viewership.

Advertisement
@PIPO we appear to be in showdown stage, but we may need @Ispyin to indicate how much his condo cost before we are in full blown street fight… @djnellz is already greasing the poles on Broad Street for the event..
E07B9A27-D4A3-49C1-B1FF-BDA4A526E23A.gif

Hey there cupcake, way to completely change the points of this as if I didn’t talk about the big ncaa basketball tournament as a massive but SEPARATE huge revenue issue. We were talking conference deals and splits of hoops and football.

now go get your shine box

Ray Liotta Goodfellas GIF

Advertisement
There’s no scenario where Notre Dame joins any conference. As long as they have a TV partner willing to pay them they have no incentive to join any conference because playoff access is no longer an issue.

Those who think the other big conferences would freeze Notre Dame out by not scheduling them are disillusioned.

Agree 100%. ND is so attractive for TV ratings / viewership, that they might be able to remain "a degree of independence" with some creative network deal, becoming "aligned" with the Big 10 once Miami / FSU / Clemson / UNC / UVA bail from the ACC and the conference disintegrates. No way ND is "left out" of prime time game scheduling against major programs ... those games just draw way too much viewership.

I do think remaining independent will become untenable for ND. Especially since the B1G $ will be comparable with what they can get as an independent anyway. We can overthink this (lord knows I do) but ND to the B1G seems inevitable. Especially once the ACC implodes and their other dozen sports don't have a home. I don't think the B1G will allow them to pull this partial membership bull**** the ACC agreed to. Especially when they know they have all the leverage since there isn't anywhere else for ND to go.

There’s no scenario where Notre Dame joins any conference. As long as they have a TV partner willing to pay them they have no incentive to join any conference because playoff access is no longer an issue.

Those who think the other big conferences would freeze Notre Dame out by not scheduling them are disillusioned.

You might be forgetting that ND plays a dozen other sports besides football, and they are currently in the ACC, which is imploding, for almost all of them. The B1G won't let ND pull this half in **** that the weak-assed ACC did. Not for a second. They won't need to, they will have the leverage over ND. ND will need a conference when this all consolidates, they will have their pick, and it's obvious that they would choose the B1G over the SEC, which their snotty holier than thou asses would ever want to be a part of.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back