MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Wonder why North Dakota State and South Dakota State are getting no interest in the Mountain West or even Pac12?

Assuming they're just known to prefer to stay down and run the show at that level

Advertisement

If this happens, why can’t the ACC just take Memphis and a school like USF and let Stanford and Cal go back to the PAC 12? The travel has to be killer on these kids.

At some point there has to be some kind of sanity and big picture thought that goes into this. Unless all of this is just shuffling around for the 72 team super league outside of the NCAA.

If this happens, why can’t the ACC just take Memphis and a school like USF and let Stanford and Cal go back to the PAC 12? The travel has to be killer on these kids.

At some point there has to be some kind of sanity and big picture thought that goes into this. Unless all of this is just shuffling around for the 72 team super league outside of the NCAA.
The travel is more killer on the wallet than the kids, but I understand your overall point.

The travel is more killer on the wallet than the kids, but I understand your overall point.
Everyone thinks football, which is chartered and definitely not as difficult for the kids. I know most people only care about football, but what people don't consider is the smaller sports that have to travel economy across the country. That definitely is hard on the kids, especially those two schools out west that have to come east more often than we go west. ACC will schedule travel pairs so that volleyball, for example, will likely play Stanford and Cal the same weekend so there is less travel, but those two schools have to come east a lot of trips.

Wonder why North Dakota State and South Dakota State are getting no interest in the Mountain West or even Pac12?

Assuming they're just known to prefer to stay down and run the show at that level
Im assuming they've been approached (+Montana and maybe Montana State). I THINK Montana may have even turned them down in the past necause they don't want to be like Wyoming.

Advertisement

Cuz they about to go to SEC North Division.

Bama ain't ready for the Land of Tatunka

Because those conferences want to try and get existing g5 teams. Remember bringing up schools causes issues with revenue distribution- even SMU had issues with sec not wanting to add one more team to the p4 splits from what was a g 5 school. Same applies here

Because those conferences want to try and get existing g5 teams. Remember bringing up schools causes issues with revenue distribution- even SMU had issues with sec not wanting to add one more team to the p4 splits from what was a g 5 school. Same applies here
Seeing Tarleton State mentioned who would come from FCS is what made me question NDSU and SDSU not being options. Aside from that idea, I agree.

Seeing Tarleton State mentioned who would come from FCS is what made me question NDSU and SDSU not being options. Aside from that idea, I agree.
They may in fact have to go that route but I think they are exploring all options including circling back

Hawaii as full member would also help solve mountain west issues.

PAC 12 trying to get full tv deal estimate to circle back with aac schools again

Advertisement
Assuming you knew Miami wasn't able to join a new conference, would you take a deal right now that guaranteed the SEC and BIG10 4 spots in the playoff if the ACC was guaranteed 2?

Assuming you knew Miami wasn't able to join a new conference, would you take a deal right now that guaranteed the SEC and BIG10 4 spots in the playoff if the ACC was guaranteed 2?
I don’t see a world where the B1G has or will be twice as competitive as the ACC in football. Revenue is one thing. Results and playoff berths are another imo.

Advertisement
Making an even 4 conference 48 team league is decently tough if you're at all trying to preserve regionality and matchups. That's why it's probably better to go with 6 or 8 conferences or 6-8 teams each.

I made a few attempts, this is probably one of the better groupings of 4 conferences, IN terms of success over the last 40 years this is pretty even, with the East being the strongest, the North being 2nd strongest, and the West and South being basically the same but lagging the other two a little bit.

1727997159019.png

The best teams being left out would be Boston College, Pitt, Fresno State, Baylor, Toledo, Cinci, Wazzu, Houston, Cal, Southern Miss, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, UCF, Northwestern, Oregon State, and Kentucky.

If you did this though you can have 8-10 conference games, 2 permanent out of conference protected rivalries, and another 3 games vs each of the other conference opponents that finished in the same relative place as you.....

I like the 8 conference x 6 or 7 teams each idea a lot better. Will post that one in a lil

Making an even 4 conference 48 team league is decently tough if you're at all trying to preserve regionality and matchups. That's why it's probably better to go with 6 or 8 conferences or 6-8 teams each.

I made a few attempts, this is probably one of the better groupings of 4 conferences, IN terms of success over the last 40 years this is pretty even, with the East being the strongest, the North being 2nd strongest, and the West and South being basically the same but lagging the other two a little bit.

View attachment 305754

The best teams being left out would be Boston College, Pitt, Fresno State, Baylor, Toledo, Cinci, Wazzu, Houston, Cal, Southern Miss, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, UCF, Northwestern, Oregon State, and Kentucky.

If you did this though you can have 8-10 conference games, 2 permanent out of conference protected rivalries, and another 3 games vs each of the other conference opponents that finished in the same relative place as you.....

I like the 8 conference x 6 or 7 teams each idea a lot better. Will post that one in a lil

Add one more team to each and then each team plays everyone in their conference once and the top 3 from each go to the playoff......

I'm sorry but prestigious Universities like Berkeley and Stanford add significantly more value to a conference than schools like Memphis and USF. If Memphis and USF were top tier athletic institutions I could see that offsetting the prestige of Cal and Stanford but they're not good athletic or academic institutions.

Advertisement
Back