MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
ESPN is pretty much making the decision if anything happens before 8-15. Cal and Stanford still aren't official until then. We are trying to get our ducks in a row to get a official offer from the B1G when the time comes. Let's win some ball games.

ESPN is pretty much making the decision if anything happens before 8-15. Cal and Stanford still aren't official until then. We are trying to get our ducks in a row to get a official offer from the B1G when the time comes. Let's win some ball games.
Cal / Stan are official as of August 2nd., so the 3 new additions are now voting members.

Changing issues ... what would happen if the ACC itself were to come under fire due to some past "mismanagement" of funds issues? Could any of the actions of Swofford in the past, and the fact that he has continued to receive in excess of $2 million annually as late as 2023, two years after retiring, be construed as unjust enrichment or anything similar. Are there sufficient potential "causal matters" to put the ACC's tax free status at risk? Imagine the ACC losing tax free status retroactively to 2010 when the Raycom deal was struck to give Swofford's son job security and then Raycom put Swofford's wife on the payroll. Tin foil hats required for this discussion.

Cal / Stan are official as of August 2nd., so the 3 new additions are now voting members.

Changing issues ... what would happen if the ACC itself were to come under fire due to some past "mismanagement" of funds issues? Could any of the actions of Swofford in the past, and the fact that he has continued to receive in excess of $2 million annually as late as 2023, two years after retiring, be construed as unjust enrichment or anything similar. Are there sufficient potential "causal matters" to put the ACC's tax free status at risk? Imagine the ACC losing tax free status retroactively to 2010 when the Raycom deal was struck to give Swofford's son job security and then Raycom put Swofford's wife on the payroll. Tin foil hats required for this discussion.
It’s been 15 years since I had to look into it but I think the following is correct.

Other than the IRS revoking its 501c3 status the NC AG has the authority to take action under the non-profit statute which could include removal/appointment of control of the entity or dissolution. The NY AG did something similar to the NRA recently.

It’s been 15 years since I had to look into it but I think the following is correct.

Other than the IRS revoking its 501c3 status the NC AG has the authority to take action under the non-profit statute which could include removal/appointment of control of the entity or dissolution. The NY AG did something similar to the NRA recently.
Would any retroactive tax penalty be 100% on the ACC conference organization or would ACC members accrue partial liability for back due taxes?

Advertisement
Would any retroactive tax penalty be 100% on the ACC conference organization or would ACC members accrue partial liability for back due taxes?
No clue. My review was limited to the NCGS. Considering the huge amount of abuse the NRA did and they didn’t lose their status, no large public entity will ever lose it.

Not even worth wasting time entertaining that hypothetical. Swoffords mismanagement to benefit his family isn’t criminal. Even if it were, nobody is gonna waste their time on it

What did I tell porsters about only tripping on one edible at time?

Advertisement

My HOT SAUCE BigBadACCWarDaddy76547@MommyBasementStudio told me in DM on X that Jimmy P going to roll FSU and either make them:

- Pay $1T exit fee + free popsicles for 10 years, OR
- Stay in ACC until 2036 because ESPN sweetening the pot for each ACC team by $150 dollars per season and coupons to Golden Corral

Either way Miami's aggressive posturing strategy has paid off!

Lots of fuccin going down on Ponce De Leon!

My HOT SAUCE BigBadACCWarDaddy76547@MommyBasementStudio told me in DM on X that Jimmy P going to roll FSU and either make them:

- Pay $1T exit fee + free popsicles for 10 years, OR
- Stay in ACC until 2036 because ESPN sweetening the pot for each ACC team by $150 dollars per season and coupons to Golden Corral

Either way Miami's aggressive posturing strategy has paid off!

Lots of fuccin going down on Ponce De Leon!

The DMs never lie…

Advertisement
Mediation was ordered in April. Was to be initiated within 120 days so the have waited until the very last day so as to not violate the judges order. Not a lot of interest in negotiating.

PRECEDENCE of court law? ACC saves FACE and gets to KEEP us?

PRECEDENCE of court law? ACC saves FACE and gets to KEEP us?
Well we know that the ACC has been in talks with ESPN regarding the media agreement. Wouldn't be surprised if at some point before 2/25 some sort of deal is cut facilitating the exit of "a few" that want out ... and a new media agreement / GOR to keep "the rest" in a revamped ACC for another 6 years or so. If there are still teams in the ACC of interest to the P2 after FSU / Clemson and ?? leave ... then the next contract dates for both P2 conferences is around 2030/31so ESPN probably wouldn't want to keep teams of future interest locked up too long in a conference they will then have almost 0 interest in.

Advertisement
Well we know that the ACC has been in talks with ESPN regarding the media agreement. Wouldn't be surprised if at some point before 2/25 some sort of deal is cut facilitating the exit of "a few" that want out ... and a new media agreement / GOR to keep "the rest" in a revamped ACC for another 6 years or so. If there are still teams in the ACC of interest to the P2 after FSU / Clemson and ?? leave ... then the next contract dates for both P2 conferences is around 2030/31so ESPN probably wouldn't want to keep teams of future interest locked up too long in a conference they will then have almost 0 interest in.

But in that scenario, FSU and CLEMSON have the lawsuit in their back pocket … we don’t. They have LEVERAGE in negotiations to lower the buyout. They will give FSU and CLEMSON away for less than us. After us, there’s a GAP. We are their LAST leverage with ESPN contract but we’re the only ones without a LAWSUIT.

But in that scenario, FSU and CLEMSON have the lawsuit in their back pocket … we don’t. They have LEVERAGE in negotiations to lower the buyout. They will give FSU and CLEMSON away for less than us. After us, there’s a GAP. We are their LAST leverage with ESPN contract but we’re the only ones without a LAWSUIT.
If FSU and Clemson are able to negotiate a buyout from the ACC with ESPN's backing, you don't think Miami or NC or any other school with brand recognition, wouldn't get the same buyout offer? Would they sign onto a new GOR to tie themselves to the ACC for a new media agreement? I don't, but if they did, Rad and the admin need to be sued for dereliction of duty.

Right now the ISSUES being clarified via access to the ESPN media agreement are:

-According TO the media agreement the termination date is 6/30/27 and the option to extend, as per that agreement
was "within two years of the launch date of ACCN" ... so the extension option expired in August 2021.

-The "amendment" that was signed by Phillips in an attempt to grant ESPN an extension on the option to 2/25 ... was
an amendment ... and ANY amendment to a media agreement requires 2/3rds approval. There is NO actionable extension option.

-The GOR states it is explicitly tied to the ESPN media agreement, and therefore the GOR expires on 6/30/27.

These FACTS apply to all ACC member programs and will apply to any program wanting to leave. The major issues at this time is conference and network driven. The conferences are limited in how many new teams they can add due to their current contract limitations, and that limits WHERE any teams exiting the ACC can go. The SEC is considering adding a 9th conference game ... that is undoubtedly tied TO the ACC losing members. At this point having a law suit vs the ACC isn't the big issue ... the big issue is the back channeling successes in landing a P2 home ... with network approval. Miami needs to get out of the ACC when FSU / Clemson make their move. If FSU ends up heading to the SEC Miami is in good shape with a shot at the B10. If FSU ends up in the B10 it gets more complicated. There is no GOR past 2027 and if ESPN offers a new deal to the "leftover" ACC teams, with a new GOR, Miami doesn't need to sign, if they have a landing spot.

Advertisement
Back