MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I was hoping for the ACC to implode with Miami heading to the Big 10. The ACC has literally been managed with "0" focus on the member schools and it is fundamentally a division of the North Carolina State tourism board. The annual ACC conference economic impact on the Charlotte metro area ... estimated to be in excess of $400M annually ... is what the ACC is all about and the schools are simply the pawns necessary to make it happen.
That would be a nice side effect, but I want FSU to look so bad on the way out that nobody else wants them. Kind of like Real Housewives of the ACC starring Karen from FSU.

Advertisement
It isn't "speculation" by me ... it is a FACT that that IS the wording in the media agreement. It is going to be virtually impossible for any judge to rule that the approval process detailed IN the media agreement applies to the 2016 Media Agreement but does not apply to a FORMAL AMENDMENT of that agreement that is titled as an amendment, and is subject to the very same "ACC Constitution and Bylaws".
It is speculation by you in stating you know HOW the court will rule, as if it is a foregone conclusion. They MAY decide it is ESPN's negligence in not verifying the ACC Constitution and Bylaws notice as mentioned in the original agreement so ESPN has lost its ability to opt into a new agreement. However, that has NOT been decided.

There is an argument to be made that the signature of the ACC commissioner, the publicly recognized LEADER of the conference, would satisfy this requirement as ESPN is not a party to ACC voting, that they signed the amendment in good faith, and should therefore NOT be penalized for the incompetence of the ACC.

It appears NOTHING is happening until the one of the following occurs: the ACC, ESPN, and FSU/Clemson come to a settlement OR the case comes to judgment. Hopefully, it will be the former so this thread will come to an end. LOL

It is inevitable that we will have a Premiere league of CFB consisting of 45 to 60 teams with majority of streaming and TV rights controlled by the individual teams...

There could be shared residual income among teams and their opponents based on their traditional or in-state rivalry draws etc..

Conferences and NCAA will be relegated to obscurity of non-revenue sports as should be.
I mostly agree with the first part. Don't think it'll be 45-60 teams in one conference but I do see them going the AFC vs NFC route.

What I don't see is each team owning their own streaming and TV rights. I think there's absolute zero shot that ever happens.

Advertisement
It is speculation by you in stating you know HOW the court will rule, as if it is a foregone conclusion. They MAY decide it is ESPN's negligence in not verifying the ACC Constitution and Bylaws notice as mentioned in the original agreement so ESPN has lost its ability to opt into a new agreement. However, that has NOT been decided.

There is an argument to be made that the signature of the ACC commissioner, the publicly recognized LEADER of the conference, would satisfy this requirement as ESPN is not a party to ACC voting, that they signed the amendment in good faith, and should therefore NOT be penalized for the incompetence of the ACC.

It appears NOTHING is happening until the one of the following occurs: the ACC, ESPN, and FSU/Clemson come to a settlement OR the case comes to judgment. Hopefully, it will be the former so this thread will come to an end. LOL
You simply keep repeating yourself .... we ******* get it ... a judge needs to rule ... but it has changed dramatically from what it was thought to have been. Lighten the **** up.

Advertisement
You simply keep repeating yourself .... we ******* get it ... a judge needs to rule ... but it has changed dramatically from what it was thought to have been. Lighten the **** up.
Awww, somebody's butthurt again. I love you man. You get corrected on something that is anything but as definitive as you (or many of us really) would like it to be and you have a hissy fit. It will all work out in the end, but it's apparently not going as quickly as we would all like. 3 days to go to till 8/15.

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

Awww, somebody's butthurt again. I love you man. You get corrected on something that is anything but as definitive as you (or many of us really) would like it to be and you have a hissy fit. It will all work out in the end, but it's apparently not going as quickly as we would all like. 3 days to go to till 8/15.

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor
Not corrected .... FACTS according to the CIS ****tionary of legalese and sunshine (not misspelled). Really don't believe ANYTHING is happening on 8/15 besides me doing a 10 mile bike ride in the am by the lake!! At least we can watch the meltdown on Warchant as people eat their own in "debate". RegalNole is promising an unveiling of additional "proof" that FSU (and virtually anybody else wanting) can leave the ACC with only an ACC exit fee ... at an amount to be determined. Looks like Regal might have actually worked for ESPN or a subsidiary / associated company, and worked in the finance area specializing in forensic accounting matters. Should be interesting. As far as UM ... we just need to beat UF, Louisville, FSU ... and everybody else this season and the next ... then the P2 will be part of the future.

Advertisement
I mostly agree with the first part. Don't think it'll be 45-60 teams in one conference but I do see them going the AFC vs NFC route.

What I don't see is each team owning their own streaming and TV rights. I think there's absolute zero shot that ever happens.
Agreed about individual teams owning their TV rights. Having 45-60 separate TV agreements would be insane. That being said, since the facade of collegiality and doing what's right for the sport as a whole has gone out the window on the conference level, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a subset of teams with the highest TV ratings negotiating their own deal as a new conference when the current TV deals run out (i.e. Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St., Ped St., etc.). Why continue to prop up the Rutgers and Vanderbilt's when there is more money to be had without them?

Last edited:
Advertisement

The next scheduled court date is Sept. 11 with Florida’s First District Court of Appeal. It will hear arguments on the ACC’s attempt to pause FSU’s Leon County suit while the league’s case proceeds in North Carolina. Will the ACC be the first side to break the opponent’s serve?

The final date is February 2025. That, according to FSU’s lawsuit, is when ESPN must decide whether to extend its deal with the ACC for another nine years (until 2036). Before exercising its sole option, ESPN surely would like to know whether the rights to FSU and Clemson games are included.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back