MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
You never NEVER NEVER sign anything you cant have a copy of.
Agreed.

1722882948976.webp

No, they didn't decline to opt-in in 2021. They signed what they thought was a legitimate extension of that decision date to February 2025 through the amendment they signed with Phillips.

And again, it's ESPN's decision to make as far as opting in. You're making the assumption as to how ESPN will decide. They probably will decide to opt out. Then again, if the court rules the ACC did not breach its contract with its members as to how the amendment was signed, who's to say ESPN doesn't opt-in if the SEC has no interest in adding FSU and Clemson at this time? They may decide it is better to lock them into the ACC and prevent them from going to the B1G and Fox. Although, extremely doubtful as they would be paying for the dead weight of WF, BC, etc.
Even Phillips commented that he was "in talks with ESPN" regarding the media agreement in his comments at ACC media days. What is likely being discussed is a revised media deal structured to keep the "rest" of the ACC in tact if possible after both FSU / CU announce their departure. A new agreement proposal will most likely be based on some unequal distribution with some aspects performance based on reaching the ACC finals etc., with lower level ACC programs receiving less than current levels. The situation for the ACC is going to get even worse as it is highly likely the CFP payout for the ACC will be decreased once FSU / Clemson depart. A lot also depends on whether UNC is "forcibly retained" by the ACC due to political issues in NC. If UNC leaves ... it could signal an end for the ACC as a "P4" conference.

You never NEVER NEVER sign anything you cant have a copy of.
The ACC presidents didn't sign the ESPN media agreement ... that was strictly between ESPN and the ACC. The ACC chairman apparently just presented his version verbally of the deal.

Advertisement
Even Phillips commented that he was "in talks with ESPN" regarding the media agreement in his comments at ACC media days. What is likely being discussed is a revised media deal structured to keep the "rest" of the ACC in tact if possible after both FSU / CU announce their departure.
Pretty sure Phillips is discussing anything and everything as far as ACC contingency plans go, like he captain of a ship nearing a giant and clearly visible iceberg

A new agreement proposal will most likely be based on some unequal distribution with some aspects performance based on reaching the ACC finals etc., with lower level ACC programs receiving less than current levels. The situation for the ACC is going to get even worse as it is highly likely the CFP payout for the ACC will be decreased once FSU / Clemson depart. A lot also depends on whether UNC is "forcibly retained" by the ACC due to political issues in NC. If UNC leaves ... it could signal an end for the ACC as a "P4" conference.

Greg Sankey at SEC Media Days last month regarding expansion beyond 16 schools:

"How closely do I monitor what's happening in the ACC, and what are the implications? I pay attention. As I said, we're focused on our 16. I've said before at Media Days, I'm not a recruiter. My job is to make sure we meet the standard of excellence that we have for ourselves on a daily basis.

That attracts interest. It's done that with the two universities that we have added this year. They're not the only phone calls I've ever had, but I'm not involved in recruitment. Our presidents have been clear that I am not going to entangle us in litigation around expansion."

Gotta believe Sankey wants to get UNC, UVA and their little brothers in the boat before taking in the lawsuit twins

Pretty sure Phillips is discussing anything and everything as far as ACC contingency plans go, like he captain of a ship nearing a giant and clearly visible iceberg

Greg Sankey at SEC Media Days last month regarding expansion beyond 16 schools:

"How closely do I monitor what's happening in the ACC, and what are the implications? I pay attention. As I said, we're focused on our 16. I've said before at Media Days, I'm not a recruiter. My job is to make sure we meet the standard of excellence that we have for ourselves on a daily basis.

That attracts interest. It's done that with the two universities that we have added this year. They're not the only phone calls I've ever had, but I'm not involved in recruitment. Our presidents have been clear that I am not going to entangle us in litigation around expansion."

Gotta believe Sankey wants to get UNC, UVA and their little brothers in the boat before taking in the lawsuit twins
If UNC leaves we will see a Pac 12 replay.

If UNC leaves we will see a Pac 12 replay.

Just for fun: ACC exit sequence:

1. SEC: UVA/VA Tech (UNC avoids heat from ACC office and Wake Forest for breaking the seal)

2. SEC: UNC/NC State (see above)

3. SEC: FSU/Clemson (for appearance's sake, SEC makes lawsuit twins stand in line)

4. B1G: Miami/ND (walls close in and leprechauns have no choice; B1G gets both remaining football brands)

5. B1G: Cal/Stanford (this was always happening)

5. SEC: Duke/GA Tech (arguably nation's No 1 baskeball brand/SEC Ground Zero in ATL/two FB programs the SEC middleweights can feel good about beating on a regular basis)

Just for fun: ACC exit sequence:

1. SEC: UVA/VA Tech (UNC avoids heat from ACC office and Wake Forest for breaking the seal)

2. SEC: UNC/NC State (see above)

3. SEC: FSU/Clemson (for appearance's sake, SEC makes lawsuit twins stand in line)

4. B1G: Miami/ND (walls close in and leprechauns have no choice; B1G gets both remaining football brands)

5. B1G: Cal/Stanford (this was always happening)

5. SEC: Duke/GA Tech (arguably nation's No 1 baskeball brand/SEC Ground Zero in ATL/two FB programs the SEC middleweights can feel good about beating on a regular basis)
But, but, I thought the Big 12 was getting Miami, FSU, Clemson, Louisville and Va Tech? ( ... sarcasm ... before somebody "splains" to my why that is not likely).

Advertisement
ACC has a huge chance to get DP’d

- espn has a right to assume that jim Phillips has the right to execute an agreement as commissioner- it’s a reasonable expectation that he would execute his role accordingly
- acc members have bylaws that say this kind of new agreement or option to extend requires a 2/3 vote that didn’t happen, so even if they were idiots and signed a document they couldn’t get a copy of originally, that doesn’t obsolete the acc commish from violation of conference bylaws

Welcome to purgatory pending court decisions or settlement

Last edited:
Even Phillips commented that he was "in talks with ESPN" regarding the media agreement in his comments at ACC media days. What is likely being discussed is a revised media deal structured to keep the "rest" of the ACC in tact if possible after both FSU / CU announce their departure. A new agreement proposal will most likely be based on some unequal distribution with some aspects performance based on reaching the ACC finals etc., with lower level ACC programs receiving less than current levels. The situation for the ACC is going to get even worse as it is highly likely the CFP payout for the ACC will be decreased once FSU / Clemson depart. A lot also depends on whether UNC is "forcibly retained" by the ACC due to political issues in NC. If UNC leaves ... it could signal an end for the ACC as a "P4" conference.
Jimmy P gonna pull a power move...

He has votes without FSU + Clemson on new deal.

FSU + Clemson get stuck in ACC and then Jimmy P force feeds them the ***** gauntlet LIKE A BOSS.

#WatchHimFinishOnTheirForeheads

The ACC presidents didn't sign the ESPN media agreement ... that was strictly between ESPN and the ACC. The ACC chairman apparently just presented his version verbally of the deal.
In essence, they did sign the agreement - well, at least 2/3 of them anyway - unless you're saying they didn't give the 2/3 vote for the agreement as well? They gave Swofford the power to sign it. If they based that decision on the verbal version provided by Swofford, shame on them. I don't understand why the apparent mismanagement by the member schools themselves is being ignored here. These aren't teenagers signing a bad record deal in their late teens. All have multi-million dollar athletics departments and legal staffs.

In the case of the amendment, yes, possibly bad behavior by Phillips if the court rules he broke the bylaws - and if that is the case, that should allow every member school the opportunity to get out.

IMO, I don't see the court rescinding ESPN's ability to opt-in as long as they dealt with the ACC in good faith. With that said, I agree with you there are some major negotiations going on now between the ACC, ESPN, and the SEC to settle this crap.

Advertisement
Jimmy P gonna pull a power move...

He has votes without FSU + Clemson on new deal.

FSU + Clemson get stuck in ACC and then Jimmy P force feeds them the ***** gauntlet LIKE A BOSS.

#WatchHimFinishOnTheirForeheads
If the SEC is not bull****ting about wanting to stay at 16 for a while, you may be absolutely right. But I'd see it as ESPN's power move to keep FSU and Clemson from jumping ship. Jimmy P would just be tugging on those coattails. lol

Advertisement
Only a week to go until DDay!!!
Happy Jonah Hill GIF

Does something happen or are we watching the can get kicked down the road to next year.......again? Does FSU send their request to leave early or go the suspense route of hitting the "Send" button on their email message with less than 5 seconds remaining before the clock strikes midnight?

I'm going with
Mad Episode 14 GIF by The Simpsons

Only a week to go until DDay!!!
Happy Jonah Hill GIF

Does something happen or are we watching the can get kicked down the road to next year.......again? Does FSU send their request to leave early or go the suspense route of hitting the "Send" button on their email message with less than 5 seconds remaining before the clock strikes midnight?

I'm going with
Mad Episode 14 GIF by The Simpsons

Question I want to know.. what are WE doing?

Advertisement
Back