MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Is it fake? Or is it just not something you want to hear?

A lot of bs to sift through for sure, but the noise from the B12 didn’t just come out of nowhere for the ACC schools…

And btw as a caveat, TOC earned some respect in my eyes for confronting a lot of y’all and owning up to an ever-changing situation regarding the SEC/BIG10 outlandish confidence. A lot of this is sadly fluid, and as much as yall want to think we’re top dog still, this isn’t the 80’s and 90’s. Media market matters, but you can’t just walk your way into a P2/3 position due to solely that. You have to win football games, be attractive for viewership nationally as well as locally, and invest in your program (which we’re doing now, hopefully not too late).

So not that my opinion means much, but TOC at least has the balls to admit the situations keep changing instead of dismissing any alternate theories with malice and venom.

There are a few insiders that were beating their chests with supreme confidence two years ago, some that you guys slobber over like fan girls in pathetic fashion as grown men…and they’re nowhere to be found now…funny how that works…

Nope. I am a realist. I’ve said a couple of times that people need to understand that it’s very likely the P2 doesn’t come calling for Miami, and we don’t get to just pick one. In that case, the Big 12 is absolutely an option that can’t be ignored

Advertisement
The best part is, I don’t need to hear all these Nole fans telling me that FSU’s future is secure and Miami is being left out in the cold. As it were FACT.

A whole lot of **** being thrown against the wall by a bunch of supposed insiders who have heard so much when it is all just the info these conferences want leaked out.

Maybe the Big 12 is FSU and Clemson's best offer by I highly doubt it.

This info can be getting leaked for multiple reasons, two main reasons would be:
1) The B1G and SEC are avoiding future lawsuits by not negotiating with any teams
2) FSU and Clemson is supposedly negotiating with the Big12 to try to up the ante on the 1/2 share options they are getting from the B1G and/or SEC
It's getting leaked because the Big12 commissioner is in the business of trying to make his conference appear to be a premier conference that belongs in the conversation with the SEC and B1G. Having a meeting with each school to shoot your shot and then intentionally leak it to say that your conference too is in the conversation for football powers and perceptionally better than the ACC is the play.

Last edited:
In this time of darkness, we need a beacon of light.

@fraggle illuminate the way.
Only the brightest most luminescent bulbs for CiS.

The bulb in question:
chris rock adult humor GIF

Advertisement
The best part is, I don’t need to hear all these Nole fans telling me that FSU’s future is secure and Miami is being left out in the cold. As it were FACT.
Look man I know I'm biased, but Miami is more attractive than FSU to the B1G. FSU might be more attractive to the SEC, but Miami brings more to the table than FSU to the B1G. We're located in a major US city that you can actually book flights into and out of for non-revenue sports, we've got more national championships, we're more of a national brand with built in national-rivalries with many of their schools, we're a better pull for luring Notre Dame, and we're actually in the AAU.

Don't let you nole fans discourage you and wait for this all to play out. FSU is being loud and obnoxious, but if they were as guaranteed a spot as they think they were, they wouldn't be talking to the Big12.

You were wrong when you said this to me ten months ago, and you're wrong now.

Instead of being the guy who marries the hot, rich chick and loses everything in the divorce, and ends up living in a van down by the river, maybe you should marry the ****, chunky girl with the giant tata's who will cook, clean, raise the kids and love you forever for who you are. Okay, offbeat analogy. lol

Seriously though. UM can be a premier program in the Big XII. In the Big Ten, UM is an afterthought; A political outsider, just like in the ACC. I still maintain my position that UM is better off taking nominally less money to be in the Big XII than in the Big Ten.
@Paranos is way ahead of you. The larger the better.

Look man I know I'm biased, but Miami is more attractive than FSU to the B1G. FSU might be more attractive to the SEC, but Miami brings more to the table than FSU to the B1G. We're located in a major US city that you can actually book flights into and out of for non-revenue sports, we've got more national championships, we're more of a national brand with built in national-rivalries with many of their schools, we're a better pull for luring Notre Dame, and we're actually in the AAU.

Don't let you nole fans discourage you and wait for this all to play out. FSU is being loud and obnoxious, but if they were as guaranteed a spot as they think they were, they wouldn't be talking to the Big12.

FSU, CLEMSON and MIAMI are NOT talking to B12. Stay spreading that BS

Advertisement

Too much sense being made here by Kenton Gibbs. This Big 12 crap is nonsense until proven otherwide. Posturing to up the ante. Still not going to work and they will be taking 1/2 shares in the B1G or SEC!

Hypothetically

What number would it take for an ACC school to jump to Big 12??
Here’s the thing. The Big12, SEC and Big10 have no desire to pony up the buyout from the ACC. So at this point, an individual school would have to pay that money first. Afterwards, the Big12 would have to outbid any other conference’s offer. Assuming no other conference wants you, the options are take what the Big12 gives you or flounder as an IND till you prove your worth.

The only reason someone would buy themselves out of the ACC at this point simply to join the Big12 is because they offer more than the ACC is currently paying you or you are very terrible at math.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here’s the thing. The Big12, SEC and Big10 have no desire to pony up the buyout from the ACC. So at this point, an individual school would have to pay that money first. Afterwards, the Big12 would have to outbid any other conference’s offer. Assuming no other conference wants you, the options are take what the Big12 gives you or flounder as an IND till you prove your worth.

The only reason someone would buy themselves out of the ACC at this point simply to join the Big12 is because they offer more than the ACC is currently paying you or you are very terrible at math.

Pretty accurate.

I'd also issue a challenge to any and all posters who think that "private equity" is some magical source of money.

1. How fast do you think that "private equity" wants to be repaid?
2. What do you think "private equity" wants for a percentage return on investment?

Get back to me on that. As far as I know, "private equity" isn't some sort of 501(c) charitable organization.

"Investment" and "loans" are not the same as REVENUE.

Pretty accurate.

I'd also issue a challenge to any and all posters who think that "private equity" is some magical source of money.

1. How fast do you think that "private equity" wants to be repaid?
2. What do you think "private equity" wants for a percentage return on investment?

Get back to me on that. As far as I know, "private equity" isn't some sort of 501(c) charitable organization.
It really is amazing how many people see "private equity" and take it to be some sort of booster arranged "gift". Private equity / institutional investors ... want greater economic returns than they can attain via other investments of comparable risk. Private equity "participation", ie, investment, would be a chunk of funds in return for a specified % of an athletic program's revenue streams (could be TV revenue, ticket sales, NIL (advertising), use of name, etc). In some instances it might be long term debt for an amount (like the exit fee ... $130M / 20 years / LIBOR +2% or some such formula).

You are correct. But do we offer more than FSU to FOX? Who is paying the bill?

It really is amazing how many people see "private equity" and take it to be some sort of booster arranged "gift". Private equity / institutional investors ... want greater economic returns than they can attain via other investments of comparable risk. Private equity "participation", ie, investment, would be a chunk of funds in return for a specified % of an athletic program's revenue streams (could be TV revenue, ticket sales, NIL (advertising), use of name, etc). In some instances it might be long term debt for an amount (like the exit fee ... $130M / 20 years / LIBOR +2% or some such formula).
Except LIBOR has gone bye bye.

Advertisement
Back