MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
There is a middle ground here. Yes, I think it’s in our best interest to be in the P2 as soon as possible.

I do not think the sky is falling if we wait til 2030. I don’t think we will fall that far behind. I think there will be value outside of the P2. I think some of you are exaggerating the negative effects because of your worrying emotions. I also think it’s disingenuous to say that “I have my head in the sand and I am a homer” because I think several schools could withstand not being in the P2 for 5 or so years. I think some of you don’t understand the power of those outside the P2 and the financial incentive for some of those programs including their own media contracts. Sure, we should be worried and concerned, but some of you are taking it too far by insinuating that anyone that disagrees is a moron. Also, both of your points are opinions @OrangeBowlMagic, no matter how likely they are to be true. One could easily argue the other side and thus they are not facts.

There is a middle ground here. Yes, I think it’s in our best interest to be in the P2 as soon as possible.

I do not think the sky is falling if we wait til 2030. I don’t think we will fall that far behind. I think there will be value outside of the P2. I think some of you are exaggerating the negative effects because of your worrying emotions. I also think it’s disingenuous to say that “I have my head in the sand and I am a homer” because I think several schools could withstand not being in the P2 for 5 or so years. I think some of you don’t understand the power of those outside the P2 and the financial incentive for some of those programs including their own media contracts. Sure, we should be worried and concerned, but some of you are taking it too far by insinuating that anyone that disagrees is a moron. Also, both of your points are opinions @OrangeBowlMagic, no matter how likely they are to be true. One could easily argue the other side and thus they are not facts.

Please please please tell me you're trolling.

Wait, I see village idiot in your title.

Forget it.

vomiting pitch perfect GIF

Advertisement
This isn’t something you leave to chance. This isn’t a risk. These are people’s lives and jobs at stake here. Many, many, many of them. The trajectory of an entire university with hundreds of thousands of alumni. You don’t do what they’re doing on a whim, or a verbal agreement between urinals. FSU has a home in a P2 league. I honestly can’t even fathom how that could be any more clear.
"If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."

- Clint Eastwood

Advertisement
The objective evidence is they are ******* SUING THEIR EXISTING LEAGUE TO EXIT IT AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Holy **** you people are helpless and hopeless. My god.
Can we have a discussion about it or are you just going to insult me?

1719683435880.gif

I have been a fan for all 44 years of my life. We have been a top 15 brand for that entire time. I do not believe we will suddenly become Syracuse if we don’t get a B1G invite this year or next. There are lots of teams in a similar situation as us. Many of them don’t have as strong a case as us. Anyway, those thoughts don’t make me hopeless or helpless.

Last edited:
Can we have a discussion about it or are you just going to insult me?

View attachment 293275

I have been a fan for all 44 years of my life. We have been a top 15 brand for that entire time. I do not believe we will suddenly become Syracuse if we don’t get a B1G invite this year or next. There are lots of teams in a similar situation as us. Many of them don’t have as strong a case as us. Anyway, those thoughts don’t make me hopeless or helpless.
The big impact is going to be that as the P2 is more formalized there WILL be

a). More prime time national AIR TIME focused on the SEC and Big 10 vs the "other" conferences (beginning this Fall with Big 10 Friday Night Football). The entire concept of conference realignment is driven by conference media partners desire to optimize valuable air time. The charts and graphs have been posted on myriad sites showing that over the past 15 year period over 35% of total ACC viewership has been FSU & Clemson, with Miami adding an additional 10%. Once FSU & Clemson are in the P2, regardless of which conference, it just gives the P2 more big game programming capability ... which they have stated they plan on using ... to promote big time matchups that bring 4 million or more viewers and ramp up the price they can sell commercial slots for. The schools want the $100 million dollar media payouts ... so they will tend to go with the media partner "candidate selection" more than if they were just adding conference members for pure academic fit. That is fact.

b). The recruiting of elite 4-5 star players to non P2 programs will become more difficult than it currently is as recruits want visibility and also the NIL opportunities are going to be stronger in the P2 due to the $50 million or more media gap between the P2 and others. That is fact.

Some people who say "nothing will change" are not being realistic. Yes Mario is an excellent recruiter, but his job is going to harder and the financial disadvantage of not being in the P2 with the big money payout makes the overall situation even more difficult.

Right now the best thing to happen with the overall realignment situation would be:

-Any movement from the ACC to actually begin playing in another conference hopefully doesn't happen before the 2026 season.
Schools can announce they're out ... whatever ... but if there are 2 more seasons of ACC football with the conference in tact ... it
gives Mario / UM an opportunity to CHANGE THE NARRATIVE ... win big this year, nail another top 5 class, win big next year ... and then Miami should be in the Big 10 for the 2026 season.

In my opinion ... Spending the next 6 years playing Syracuse and BC is going to make it very difficult for Miami to keep up with the P2 programs in recruiting, roster stability (top players portal out to the P2), and $$$. Got to get in.

a). More prime time national AIR TIME focused on the SEC and Big 10 vs the "other" conferences (beginning this Fall with Big 10 Friday Night Football). The entire concept of conference realignment is driven by conference media partners desire to optimize valuable air time. The charts and graphs have been posted on myriad sites showing that over the past 15 year period over 35% of total ACC viewership has been FSU & Clemson, with Miami adding an additional 10%. Once FSU & Clemson are in the P2, regardless of which conference, it just gives the P2 more big game programming capability ... which they have stated they plan on using ... to promote big time matchups that bring 4 million or more viewers and ramp up the price they can sell commercial slots for. The schools want the $100 million dollar media payouts ... so they will tend to go with the media partner "candidate selection" more than if they were just adding conference members for pure academic fit. That is fact.

b). The recruiting of elite 4-5 star players to non P2 programs will become more difficult than it currently is as recruits want visibility and also the NIL opportunities are going to be stronger in the P2 due to the $50 million or more media gap between the P2 and others. That is fact.

Some people who say "nothing will change" are not being realistic. Yes Mario is an excellent recruiter, but his job is going to harder and the financial disadvantage of not being in the P2 with the big money payout makes the overall situation even more difficult.

Right now the best thing to happen with the overall realignment situation would be:

-Any movement from the ACC to actually begin playing in another conference hopefully doesn't happen before the 2026 season.
Schools can announce they're out ... whatever ... but if there are 2 more seasons of ACC football with the conference in tact ... it
gives Mario / UM an opportunity to CHANGE THE NARRATIVE ... win big this year, nail another top 5 class, win big next year ... and then Miami should be in the Big 10 for the 2026 season.

In my opinion ... Spending the next 6 years playing Syracuse and BC is going to make it very difficult for Miami to keep up with the P2 programs in recruiting, roster stability (top players portal out to the P2), and $$$. Got to get in.
I liked you better when you would write bleak visions.

Advertisement

I agree with almost all of this. Only thing I don't agree with, and this is nitpicky of me, is us having to win big this year and next year. I think winning Big this year quiets any concerns about program potential or TV viewership for realignment purposes. This doesn't mean we can tank next year, that can't happen because then the argument will be that it's a one off. For example, if we go 10-2 (6-2) this year, win the ACC, and make the CFP, I think that's enough in of itself to reassure the BIG 10 that we're highly competitive and here to stay.

This year is HUGE. It is our most important season in decades. The absolute floor is, for me, 10-2 (6-2). On paper, this team should be favored against every team it plays in the regular season. There is no reason we should lose to two ACC teams (VT, Louisville, and FSU being the most dangerous games) with the offensive personnel and and Front 7 that we have on D. However, I'm accounting for any bad luck, injuries, coaching mistakes, etc.

Gotta wait till August 31st and the Fall Practice reports, but as things stand I am of the belief that this team will overperform. I think people underestimate how crucial an elite QB is to elevating an entire team, and the skill players we have on offense are the best they've been in two decades.

Advertisement
Also, it’s ok to disagree guys. We don’t all have to think the same.
According to some this is a CONTEST ... has to have a winner ... this is not a discussion about a changing landscape and a host of variables that we have no control over and haven't really seen before.

@RVACane is this the worst thread in the history of CIS?

*Not counting any of the lunacy in Town Hall, of course.
I think so. There was another thread that I recall Andrew or d$ killing for messing up their analytics but that one was just a free for all on anything. This is a slow moving train wreck that we just watch as it grinds along in slow motion destroying anything in its way.

Advertisement
Back