MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I’ve lived 10 miles from the track for 25 years so I can speak to what its intent was. No doubt UVA wouldn’t have been near the draw VaTech was. They had talked about a game between TN and VT for years. The new GM was instrumental in making it happen.

Did you hear much feedback on how the sight lines were?

Curious if Bristol was actually a good place to watch a football game or if it was more like sitting far back in the 300 level of a Dome Stadium watching ants on the floor at the Final Four

Advertisement
I’ve lived 10 miles from the track for 25 years so I can speak to what its intent was. No doubt UVA wouldn’t have been near the draw VaTech was. They had talked about a game between TN and VT for years. The new GM was instrumental in making it happen.

Yeah, generally speaking, all of the NASCAR tracks have been looking into other types of events over the past 20 years. Football, concerts (now happening), corporate events, and just about anything else that will bring in the money more than once or twice per year.

Curious if Bristol was actually a good place to watch a football game or if it was more like sitting far back in the 300 level of a Dome Stadium watching ants on the floor at the Final Four

I was not there for the game, but I'd imagine the sightlines are better for a short-track than for other tracks. We were looking into hosting a game at Daytona, but it would definitely have felt...different...

I have spent time in the infield of Bristol, and I love the way that the Jumbotron is suspended on cables. I wonder if they did anything different with that for punting.

Yeah, generally speaking, all of the NASCAR tracks have been looking into other types of events over the past 20 years. Football, concerts (now happening), corporate events, and just about anything else that will bring in the money more than once or twice per year.
BMS has had a few concerts through the years. I’m surprised they haven’t done more concerts or football games. They do a Christmas light show every year that is unreal. Stretches across the round track and Thunder Valley - the drag strip. All proceeds go to Speedway Children’s Charity.

They blocked off the corners and most seats were in the front and back stretches. Knew a lot of people that attended and their only complaint was distance from the stands to the field. There are 160K seats and if iirc, they sold about 120K and could have sold more. Was a **** of an event.

Advertisement
BMS has had a few concerts through the years. I’m surprised they haven’t done more concerts or football games. They do a Christmas light show every year that is unreal. Stretches across the round track and Thunder Valley - the drag strip. All proceeds go to Speedway Children’s Charity.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Christmas light shows, as they are in the "offseason". But still valid. I would go to the one in Daytona every year, one of my brothers goes to the one in Charlotte, he only lives a few miles away.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Christmas light shows, as they are in the "offseason". But still valid. I would go to the one in Daytona every year, one of my brothers goes to the one in Charlotte, he only lives a few miles away.
They change it up and add to it every year so we can go and not see the same thing every time.

I get it. You're younger. You "don't see color". You think "racism is over".

And, sure, I'm generalizing there, for humor and contrast. I'm not REALLY trying to tell you how YOU feel, but I can understand why younger people overlook all of the UNSPOKEN stuff that motivates older people in the Deep South in their thinking and behavioral processes.

I've already laid it out in greater detail. UVa is a TERRIBLE choice to bring in "Virginia" as a market. VaTech is a bit better, but also benefits from proximity to NC and TN and KY in terms of "fit" and "rivalry". And the Big 10 addition of Maryland, which is literally located INSIDE THE DC BELTWAY, has proven that it is easier "said" than "done" when it comes to delivering the DC market.

Again, you focus on formal markers of human behavior. Was there a meeting at SEC HQ where "The South Will Rise Again" was seen on a written meeting agenda? No. Does this kind of thing motivate MANY Deep South movers and shakers? Absolutely. With a little sprinkle of SEC arrogance in "we prefer flagship schools over tech schools". But that's why UVa is #2 on the SEC ranking.

Assuming no new political impediments, UNC-UVA will happen before F$U-Clemson. But I hope the SEC takes 4-6 school.
Southern Pride doesn't necessarily have to mean racists. Racists are everywhere even in the so called woke states. I hope that applies to the people you associate with.

Advertisement
MLB game coming 2025 or 2026 as well.

Braves vs Rangers.

Original plan was a football game every 2-3 years and to get in on the kickoff series like they do at AT&T, Mercedes Benz, and in Charlotte, etc. Negotiations are still ongoing but there's concerns about the infrastructure in the area to accommodate 120k+ - it wasn't an issue when it was UT and VT because a large part of that was local/within driving range. The Smith family (didn't go to college) but are mega Carolina fans and they want to bring in UNC vs. Tennessee and then their affiliation with Texas Motor Speedway and some of the leadership there - they have looked into Texas vs Tennessee at Bristol since they're now SEC. Very preliminary. The expectation is that it probably has to at least be Tennessee on one side of that game every year to accommodate the crowd and fill the stadium... and I doubt UT wants to lose a home game every year unless they're paid heavily for it to make it equal.

Last edited:
This thread gives me CTE. Few quick notes

- **** the SEC
- Big10 seems best but **** the cold
- Big12 could work if profit is based off viewership, give UM most money in conference.
Being in the Big 12 would put at us a significant recruiting advantage and our best players would all transfer to the SEC or B1G. I want no part of being the richest school in the minor leagues

Being in the Big 12 would put at us a significant recruiting advantage and our best players would all transfer to the SEC or B1G. I want no part of being the richest school in the minor leagues
No it wouldn’t. If you can croot and have the cash then you good. Mario would still get his regardless if we were independent

Advertisement
Southern Pride doesn't necessarily have to mean racists. Racists are everywhere even in the so called woke states. I hope that applies to the people you associate with.

Oh, lord, here we go with the "good people on both sides" equivalency.

We are not talking about racism generally. We are talking about a very particular kind of "south will rise again" mythology that started with The Lost Cause in the 1860s and continues to this very day under different kinds of vernacular.

Whether expressed openly or not, there are many people in the Deep South who see meaning and symbolism in reuniting the 13 stars on the battle flag. Whether there are racists in other states is not relevant, as there hasn't been a 150 year effort to "reunite the Union".

It's fine if you don't see things the same way. But the need to mention "woke states" and form some sort of false equivalency is not necessary.

It's nice that some of the younger folks are so SHOCKED that people can be motivated by such old-fashioned ideology. But I'm getting older and I've spent my entire adult life in either Florida or Georgia. I've spent nearly all of my professional time with wealthy corporate types in FL/GA. I've gone to lots of sporting events and imbibed lots of beverages with people like that. And it's both sad and illuminating what people will tell you because they think you see certain issues the same way based certain physical/genetic attributes.

Drive around a NASCAR infield sometime. I guaran-*******-tee you that you'll see and hear some things. And it's not "Southern Pride".

And, yes, there have been some terrible things that have happened throughout history. I just don't think one should dismiss the return of certain feelings in Europe as "German Pride".

MLB game coming 2025 or 2026 as well.

Braves vs Rangers.

Original plan was a football game every 2-3 years and to get in on the kickoff series like they do at AT&T, Mercedes Benz, and in Charlotte, etc. Negotiations are still ongoing but there's concerns about the infrastructure in the area to accommodate 120k+ - it wasn't an issue when it was UT and VT because a large part of that was local/within driving range. The Smith family (didn't go to college) but are mega Carolina fans and they want to bring in UNC vs. Tennessee and then their affiliation with Texas Motor Speedway and some of the leadership there - they have looked into Texas vs Tennessee at Bristol since they're now SEC. Very preliminary. The expectation is that it probably has to at least be Tennessee on one side of that game every year to accommodate the crowd and fill the stadium... and I doubt UT wants to lose a home game every year unless they're paid heavily for it to make it equal.

Good stuff. I know Bruton, that guy is a grinder. Marcus did go to UNC but never graduated.

You are right, it would be hard for a Tennessee or Texas to move a home game, because they already have massive stadiums. Would be easier to convince UNC to move a game. I already know that Charlotte (the city) is going to try to get a couple of the up-state games moved down.

The Charlotte Convention/Visitors group is powerful and well-funded. They crushed every other bid on the NASCAR HQ/HOF building.

No it wouldn’t. If you can croot and have the cash then you good. Mario would still get his regardless if we were independent
Being independent is a lot different than being in the Big 12 though. I would take independent if we can get an ND lite situation, but I don’t see that happening. Being in the Big 12 is being relegated. Even if our collective can keep up, recruits will be swayed by outside NIL from big brands wanting to invest in the P2 and recruits wanting to play on the biggest stage.

Also, I know Cristobal loves the U, but if he turns things around and we have no shot of making the P2, would he turn down a bigger job if the P2 comes knocking?

Advertisement
Wrong. Game is changing ... prime broadcast time is going to be TOTALLY dominated by the P2, and the revenue gap will be more than $50-60 million per school. The B12 will not be getting exposure on air time, money won't be close, and 4-5 star players wanting exposure, big time games, and "being prepared for the NFL" will go P2 period.

With all due respect, this narrative needs to stop. Will Mario "get his"? Of course! But it's about your batting average, and being in the Big 12 will put us at a major disadvantage. Mario's life would be miserable if Miami were left out of the Power 2 conferences.

We've already lost recruits who want to play at a higher level than the ACC.

Interesting comment by RegalNole ... the guy who started the Conference Realignment thread on Warchant two years ago ... "ACC pending new contract structure announcement that was agreed to in principal last week. The P2 and the networks have flexed again". This would tie in to Josh Pate's comments a few days ago that "he has had comments from attorneys that a reconfigured ACC is imminent, FSU and others are out".
Lol at how this actually decent news just got completely flooded over for a discussion about NASCAR

Lol at how this actually decent news just got completely flooded over for a discussion about NASCAR

How do you know that is good news?

We have a new contract structure? IS IT MORE MONEY THAN BEFORE? Otherwise, it's just a formalization of the impact of adding Stanford, Cal, and SMU.

The P2 and the networks have flexed again? What does that even mean? Unless it means that ESPN has gratuitiously given the ACC more money to prevent its eventual collapse, I'm not sure why I should be happy about that "flex".

And, particularly with the comment on "F$U and others are out"...I mean, I guess that's good overall news, but you didn't highight and bold that part, while you did for the other stuff.

Just tell us what we should be happy about, what with all this actually decent news.

Advertisement
Back