Chris Johnson Jr. season outlook

Lack of speed and big play ability from our RBs last year realllllllllly hurt this offense more than anyone admits. It put it all on TVD to make plays (yes he still sucked, not making excuses for him). Need a home run hitter desperately at RB whether thats CJ or someone else. Give him 5-7 touches a game and see what he can do

Advertisement
What skill set does he have besides running a 10.1 100m. For the sake of almighty Christ.

I wouldn’t **** Sydney Sweeney with any of your ****s because, really, besides the best **** on the planet, what’s she really got going for her?

I don't disagree with you. We should get him the ball on jetsweeps, counters, bubble screens, tunnel screens, jailbreak screens, reverses, wheel routes, swing passes, flares, sweeps to the field side, direct snaps, wildcat and even 9 routes. Did I miss anything?
Oh you definitely missed PR and KR lol

What skill set does he have besides running a 10.1 100m. For the sake of almighty Christ.

I wouldn’t **** Sydney Sweeney with any of your ****s because, really, besides the best **** on the planet, what’s she really got going for her?

Magic… no way some of these dudes are cheating on Mario with Sydney Sweeney…

Advertisement
Freshman year: 11 carries, 73 yards; 1 catch, 2 yards

I would think sophomore expectation (no clue if he’s a front runner to be a return guy) would be:
35 carries, 175 yards; 10 catches, 100 yards

whats his skillset? he has no skillset, he has elite speed.

I 100% agree with you. I mean, his record breaking speed is definitely an athletic skill. But from the perspective of him as a running back, you want to see balance, vision, change of direction, patience, force after contact, blocking ability, catching ability. There are a host of skills other than speed that are necessary to be reliable. We just haven't seen that from Johnson yet.

Play him in special situations 10 snaps a game, and he'll bust a couple loose. And maybe he'll develop over this season and next and become a great RB, and not go the route of Hester or Schwartz, as @DTP fears. But he's definitely shown nothing to suggest he's a Miami caliber starting RB, or even a rotational player like Allen or a Parrish, right now today.

I 100% agree with you. I mean, his record breaking speed is definitely an athletic skill. But from the perspective of him as a running back, you want to see balance, vision, change of direction, patience, force after contact, blocking ability, catching ability. There are a host of skills other than speed that are necessary to be reliable. We just haven't seen that from Johnson yet.

Play him in special situations 10 snaps a game, and he'll bust a couple loose. And maybe he'll develop over this season and next and become a great RB, and not go the route of Hester or Schwartz, as @DTP fears. But he's definitely shown nothing to suggest he's a Miami caliber starting RB, or even a rotational player like Allen or a Parrish, right now today.
same people crap on fletcher he was productive with injuries

I forgot this is how it works here. No matter what Martinez, fletcher, Ajax or Lyle do. fans will still talk about Chris Johnson.
Fletcher and martinez have multiple page threads on front page.. Both larger than this.. What are you saying fans cant say anything about the kid?

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

Advertisement
Fletcher and martinez have multiple page threads on front page.. Both larger than this.. What are you saying fans cant say anything about the kid?

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

So what's the expected outcome then?

If everyone agrees that Fletcher and Martinez are the better RB options, then at best Johnson is getting 3rd string snaps. But he wasn't even as good as a non-RB during Spring ball in Lofton. So why would he suddenly "deserve" to stack out above Allen, Lyle, Lofton and CWH?

IMO, kid should get 5-10 snaps a game when we're looking for momentum changing or opponent-back-breaking plays. That's the best he deserves until he proves he's better than all those other options.

So what's the expected outcome then?

If everyone agrees that Fletcher and Martinez are the better RB options, then at best Johnson is getting 3rd string snaps. But he wasn't even as good as a non-RB during Spring ball in Lofton. So why would he suddenly "deserve" to stack out above Allen, Lyle, Lofton and CWH?

IMO, kid should get 5-10 snaps a game when we're looking for momentum changing or opponent-back-breaking plays. That's the best he deserves until he proves he's better than all those other options.
Ya boys be quick to let scrubs like Flagg (and let me add disclaimer this is just a proxy for people who dont understand) cook but a guy with clear talent dont even get a chance to see the field..

If I got to watch YEARS of flagg on the field, Im gonna want to see that speed get a chance to cook in a REAL game before I pass judgement. Your judgement based on some spring game not gonna change anybody who support the kid getting a legit chance. NO ONE is saying he should get bulk carries or anything, just a few legit touches.. NOTHING WRONG with that.. Just exit thread and go bump another RB thread..

Advertisement
Some peole are just asking for ways to get him the ball in space then Some people would have you believe dude dont even have legs he so handicap and doesnt even deserve to breathe air..

:ibis-roflmao-sm3:
Wait until someone asks them who recruited a player with no skill set and why?

We were 7-6 and couldn't get the kid the ball because we were worried about being predictable, while being completely predictable with Cam McCormick on the field...

People are nuts...

Ya boys be quick to let scrubs like Flagg (and let me add disclaimer this is just a proxy for people who dont understand) cook but a guy with clear talent dont even get a chance to see the field..

If I got to watch YEARS of flagg on the field, Im gonna want to see that speed get a chance to cook in a REAL game before I pass judgement. Your judgement based on some spring game not gonna change anybody who support the kid getting a legit chance. NO ONE is saying he should get bulk carries or anything, just a few legit touches.. NOTHING WRONG with that.. Just exit thread and go bump another RB thread..
if we don't win 9 games, Dawson is going to get fired. . . . seeing as he is the guy that controls the chess pieces . . . . and assuming he's interested in self preservation, he's not going to put any unproven young guys on the field that he doesn't think are going to execute. as such, we will all get to see in real time the guys who have earned Dawson's trust. We can all guess who those people are but until we see it on the field we are all guessing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're not wrong. I just didn't understand the point of him having to be 190lbs just to get 5-10 touches a game.
The point is that this is bigtime college football and despite being listed at 6' 180 lbs in high school, he was probably closer to 170 lbs and everyone coming into college needs to improve functional strength. This would be especially important in Johnson's case given the position that he plays and the pounding thst comes with it at the college level. Add to that Chris Johnson needed to improve his contact balance considerably as his elite speed does no good if he is constantly getting tripped up by the grass.

You do have a point however in that the great Duke Johnson came in at 5'9" 188 lbs as a true freshman. The thing with Chris Johnson is that he is 6' which makes the 170 lbs or so he came in at seem even more slight because of his length. He almost looks like Mark Pope at RB.

Last edited:
I'm just going to bet the kid averages at least 6.0 YPC on at least 60 totes.

The kid has game breaking speed. Even if he averages 3 YPC on 20 attempts, that 80 yard house call will bump it up.

I think the kid has Devon Achane ability. Devon Achane TA&M stats below:
1722134664485.webp

Advertisement
Back