Chris Johnson Jr. season outlook

Advertisement
that is what I said, Wheatley looked better but this board can figure out what Mario cant. Dont worry, they have the playbooks they learned from madden that will work.
I’m not putting a ton of stock in a single spring game performance but that is the only time we’ve gotten to see CWH play and he looked more like a natural running back. He saw the holes and attacked them and got good yardage. Johnson would take the handoff and run into the pile. It’s obvious that Johnson has the speed to run away from anyone but there’s very few instances in an actual football game where you get the ball in an open space with nobody around you. One such instance is kick returns.

Which leads me to my next point. Devin Hester is the greatest return man in the history of the game yet he was never a good offensive player. I remember our coaches desperately trying to incorporate him into the offense. They’d line him up at running back and run toss plays. They’d line him up at receiver and throw screens or end arounds. He made a couple nice plays but was never really a threat. It was the same in the NFL he got a lot more reps at WR but was never dynamic. He averaged around 350 yards a season receiving and finished his career with 116 total rushing yards. This from a dude who was absolutely ELITE in the open field. His entire career, his coaches desperately tried to make him an offensive weapon but his skills didn’t translate at receiver or running back.

Let’s also take a look at another Broward county track star who was pretty highly recruited because he had literal Olympic track speed. Anthony Schwartz was likely the fastest college football player in America while at Auburn. His freshman season at Auburn he was a gimmick player. They used him sparingly but got him enough touches to where he could still do some damage. He only caught 22 passes and only had 27 carries but he still scored 7 touchdowns. This is what I believe CJJ can do for us. His next two years, Auburn tried to make him an every down receiver and while he got a lot more playing time, his yards per catch and rushing numbers plummeted. He had six total touchdowns his sophomore and junior season combined. His junior year, he had negative rushing yards. Naturally the Browns fell in love with his running in shorts ability, drafted him in the third round and he’s had 13 career catches so far in two seasons. The fastest player in college football has a career ypc of 12.2 with 6 receiving touchdowns. By comparison Will Mallory’s career ypc is 13.4.

Elite speed is dangerous in football but you have to know if a guy is a football player who runs track or a track guy who plays football because they’re two very different things.

Mario, Dawson, and mirabel don’t have a creative bone in their body. Don’t expect much…. Expect any carries he does get to be between the tackles and all of us on here will be *****ing about it.

Mario’s comment at acc media day which says it all: “the way we run those guys we need 3 backs”

Lyle will be back 4 before end of season

Reminds me of Fast Willie Parker. North Carolina left him on the bench…undrafted but ran a 4.28.

Can’t teach speed. We need to get him serious burn.

Willie Parker had over 450 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs as a true freshman.

Unfortunately we can’t expect that from Johnson even as a sophomore because we’re trying our darndest to teach him to run while holding a football. It’s tricky. These things take time, everyone knows that. I think this year is more learning. Next year he can be used as a decoy. It’s tough to get him the ball, so this is the natural progression. Then as a senior I think he can make a couple plays.

Can’t wait for 2026, gonna be fun, boys!

CFB 25 has my expectations set way too high I put him at WR, KR, PR & RB and go routes, wheel routes, angle routes & jet touch passes have him #1 in the Heisman race, therefore All American this year or bust

Advertisement
Dawson needs to dial up creativity. If you keep doing the same **** over and over it becomes easier to defend. Doesn’t always have to be in the passing game. Think of Richt’s offense. It became predictable and he wouldn’t adjust(…”it’s worked for 30yrs…”). That being said, against ND he broke out a counter we hadn’t seen before and Homer hit them for big gains. Subtle, but effective. Their DL hadn’t seen it on tape and it worked. I hope Dawson can do that on a consistent basis. Not 1 game a year. All of our RB’s will benefit. So will the OL, TE’s, WR’s and the QB. Prob the D too, keep them fresh. My $0.02.

Go Canes!
My problem with Dawson has been that his offense is too mechanical. His offense does nothing to stress the defense. There just doesn't seem to be any type of flexibility in his offense. Of course that can change over the off season and if it's true that Mario indeed wants to see this offense evolve then that is a great sign.

I’m not putting a ton of stock in a single spring game performance but that is the only time we’ve gotten to see CWH play and he looked more like a natural running back. He saw the holes and attacked them and got good yardage. Johnson would take the handoff and run into the pile. It’s obvious that Johnson has the speed to run away from anyone but there’s very few instances in an actual football game where you get the ball in an open space with nobody around you. One such instance is kick returns.

Which leads me to my next point. Devin Hester is the greatest return man in the history of the game yet he was never a good offensive player. I remember our coaches desperately trying to incorporate him into the offense. They’d line him up at running back and run toss plays. They’d line him up at receiver and throw screens or end arounds. He made a couple nice plays but was never really a threat. It was the same in the NFL he got a lot more reps at WR but was never dynamic. He averaged around 350 yards a season receiving and finished his career with 116 total rushing yards. This from a dude who was absolutely ELITE in the open field. His entire career, his coaches desperately tried to make him an offensive weapon but his skills didn’t translate at receiver or running back.

Let’s also take a look at another Broward county track star who was pretty highly recruited because he had literal Olympic track speed. Anthony Schwartz was likely the fastest college football player in America while at Auburn. His freshman season at Auburn he was a gimmick player. They used him sparingly but got him enough touches to where he could still do some damage. He only caught 22 passes and only had 27 carries but he still scored 7 touchdowns. This is what I believe CJJ can do for us. His next two years, Auburn tried to make him an every down receiver and while he got a lot more playing time, his yards per catch and rushing numbers plummeted. He had six total touchdowns his sophomore and junior season combined. His junior year, he had negative rushing yards. Naturally the Browns fell in love with his running in shorts ability, drafted him in the third round and he’s had 13 career catches so far in two seasons. The fastest player in college football has a career ypc of 12.2 with 6 receiving touchdowns. By comparison Will Mallory’s career ypc is 13.4.

Elite speed is dangerous in football but you have to know if a guy is a football player who runs track or a track guy who plays football because they’re two very different things.
Wasn't there an issue with Hester bouncing returns too often to the side instead of going vertical?

My problem with Dawson has been that his offense is too mechanical. His offense does nothing to stress the defense. There just doesn't seem to be any type of flexibility in his offense. Of course that can change over the off season and if it's true that Mario indeed wants to see this offense evolve then that is a great sign.
I think it’s a side effect of trying to have a power running game while also being an Air Raid offense. Everything in the offense is very deliberate. And I think that’s on purpose because offense only counts if your opponent knows what you’re going to do and you do it anyway.

Advertisement
Dawson needs to dial up creativity. If you keep doing the same **** over and over it becomes easier to defend. Doesn’t always have to be in the passing game. Think of Richt’s offense. It became predictable and he wouldn’t adjust(…”it’s worked for 30yrs…”). That being said, against ND he broke out a counter we hadn’t seen before and Homer hit them for big gains. Subtle, but effective. Their DL hadn’t seen it on tape and it worked. I hope Dawson can do that on a consistent basis. Not 1 game a year. All of our RB’s will benefit. So will the OL, TE’s, WR’s and the QB. Prob the D too, keep them fresh. My $0.02.

Go Canes!
This is facts and highlights the fact a counter play is the pinnacle of creativity at the university of miami in offense the last 7-8 years shows why we have sucked and our fans have absolutely no understanding or expectations of modern offensive football.. Sad times man, sad times..

I remember SCREAMING the whole mirror routes and no motion static offense was just archaic.. Now you see even in NFL that motion has increased and fins are right down the street with cutting edge stuff, You hear other staffs using that type of stuff to their advantage and saying they would be fools not to UK going to chiefs practice and such.. I like some of the comments Mario has mentioned about having continuity has allowed them to evolve the offense but none of media has followed up what that means (Knowing mario would answer we are getting back to work anyways soo yea)

Hoping he got bigger stronger over the summer and up to 190lb range. Then we can give him like 5 to 10 touches a game via RB and WR swing passes and screens. And put him on kick off returns

Advertisement
😂 😂 this fanbase and program are the only ones who make excuses for not squeezing production from kids who run Olympic sprint times.
I know we have a lot of weapons but I’m expecting some TDs from Johnson and Ray Ray this year

They were too quiet last year when we needed a spark. Not saying that Dawson had some conspiracy against them, or that it’s all on the coaching either. No idea what all was going down. But I expect a change this year

This is facts and highlights the fact a counter play is the pinnacle of creativity at the university of miami in offense the last 7-8 years shows why we have sucked and our fans have absolutely no understanding or expectations of modern offensive football.. Sad times man, sad times..

I remember SCREAMING the whole mirror routes and no motion static offense was just archaic.. Now you see even in NFL that motion has increased and fins are right down the street with cutting edge stuff, You hear other staffs using that type of stuff to their advantage and saying they would be fools not to UK going to chiefs practice and such.. I like some of the comments Mario has mentioned about having continuity has allowed them to evolve the offense but none of media has followed up what that means (Knowing mario would answer we are getting back to work anyways soo yea)
A few games of ours got so depressing you change to another game and there’s 20 other games on with dog**** programs running offenses that **** all over ours

Like figure it the **** out please

Hoping he got bigger stronger over the summer and up to 190lb range. Then we can give him like 5 to 10 touches a game via RB and WR swing passes and screens. And put him on kick off returns
So he has to be 190lb to get 5 to 10 touches in COLLEGE? Maaaaan I think we're the only team that overthinks and underutilize SPEED.

Advertisement
So he has to be 190lb to get 5 to 10 touches in COLLEGE? Maaaaan I think we're the only team that overthinks and underutilize SPEED.
Not necessarily but look at the other playmakers on offense. Damien Martinez will receive the lions share of carries/touches at RB. Then you have Ajay Allen, then Fletcher when he comes back.

Now I completely agree that Chris Johnson is in a class by himself when it comes to the ability to create explosive plays with his Olympic level speed. I think we start by giving him 5 to 10 touches and watch how he does. In the event that he turns into some unreal big play TD machine and college superstar then you obviously reevaluate things lol. We'll see. I'm optimistic. Cautiously optimistic.

Is there a 180 lb running back who gets more than 10 carries a game in P4 football? I’m not being sarcastic. That seems tiny.

EA has got me thinking of the last guy who had elite speed and didn’t use properly. -He was just a HOF Devin Hester

Advertisement
Back