Canes vs Irish

A few observations:

1. Can we stop wondering if Nigel Pack is as good as he was last year. We all knew the breakout game would happen. I think we just saw it. He can carry a team offensively for 5 minute stretches.

2. Zoning a Coach L team with Miller running the offense from the free throw line is basketball suicide. You better hope you can out-athlete us and play man to man.

3. Miller and Wong and Pack are all basically coaches on the floor.

Advertisement
A few observations:

1. Can we stop wondering if Nigel Pack is as good as he was last year. We all knew the breakout game would happen. I think we just saw it. He can carry a team offensively for 5 minute stretches.

2. Zoning a Coach L team with Miller running the offense from the free throw line is basketball suicide. You better hope you can out-athlete us and play man to man.

That Cuse game will be interesting. If we could beat their zone and hit our threes they might be forced to go man to man.

A few observations:

Re: #3 - Coach L’s offensive identity is the high ball screen offense that is basically designed to beat Coach K’s elite pressure man defense.

If zoning this team is impossible (which crazily might actually be true despite the fact that zone defenses have historically been our kryptonite)… then there’s basically no stopping this team on the defensive end. I don’t think there’s a team in the country that has the roster to be able to play a switching man defense against this team. The fact that we are also playing so well against the zone is pretty incredible and should bode well for later in the year.

If someone just read this thread, they would think Miller and Wong both were held scoreless. In game posting is ridiculous sometimes. Wong finished with 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists. Miller had 12 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals.
Not shocked, a lot of fans are posting, and I'm quite sure they didn't know we had a program until March of this year. They haven't watched the team grow, they don't understand that Miller's game is going to be quiet, but efficient, and that Wong will get his, but every game isn't going to be 20+.

Re: #3 - Coach L’s offensive identity is the high ball screen offense that is basically designed to beat Coach K’s elite pressure man defense.

If zoning this team is impossible (which crazily might actually be true despite the fact that zone defenses have historically been our kryptonite)… then there’s basically no stopping this team on the defensive end. I don’t think there’s a team in the country that has the roster to be able to play a switching man defense against this team. The fact that we are also playing so well against the zone is pretty incredible and should bode well for later in the year.
This team has multiple decent shooters and you need that to beat the zone. It also helps that Omier is a BEAST on the boards, and most teams struggle to rebound out of it, and that will get us additional possessions.

Advertisement
Coming into today. Bensley was shooting 45% from 3 tops on the team. He is one of out best 3 point shooters.
Don't bring logic into this.

Bensley's jumper has come a long, long way from last season. I have no problem with him taking in rhythm shots. Joseph doesn't go looking for his shot, and most of the shots he's taking are open, and in rhythm.

Bensley's jumper has come a long, long way from last season. I have no problem with him taking in rhythm shots. Joseph doesn't go looking for his shot, and most of the shots he's taking are open, and in rhythm.
Joseph had his worst game of the season. He committed multiple careless turnovers and took a few rushed shots when we had a big lead. Beverly was much more effective than Joseph yesterday.

This team has multiple decent shooters and you need that to beat the zone. It also helps that Omier is a BEAST on the boards, and most teams struggle to rebound out of it, and that will get us additional possessions.
Omeir staying out of foul trouble is going to be the key to our success... maybe even more than Wong having an off game.
He has to stay disciplined

After watching the replay I was so impressed with our defense and intensity in the last 8 minutes. This team has multiple assets across all lines. Wong is just unstoppable when he’s focused and is clearly the leader of this team. But where ya have to be even more resolute that this team can be there in the end is a maturity and determination to win ballgames. Such a nice array of talent that can beat you in so many ways. Still would like to see where we can get a little more inside help.

Advertisement

Yeah, that 0-10 game last season was brutal. He has way more confidence in all aspects of his game this time around. Best defender at his position on the team as well. And, may still have more upside.

Advertisement
If someone just read this thread, they would think Miller and Wong both were held scoreless. In game posting is ridiculous sometimes. Wong finished with 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists. Miller had 12 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals.
Seriously…!

I didn’t read this thread until this morning and some of these posters are either just miserable humans or have no clue what they’re looking at. We’re sitting at 14-1 and have looked good doing it. Sound, gritty, mentally tough squad.

Miller sucks and his game is trash? Funny how @SouthParkCane went quiet after Miller picked it up. Maybe stick to football and recruiting bruh…

Miller has been nothing but a smooth glue guy with skills ever since coming over from GM.

Advertisement

I think the most realistic way to beat UM, short of just an off night by 3-4 guys, is to have great length. This reduces Omier’s effectiveness on the offensive rebounds and can make it harder for our guys to shoot over. Maryland is the obvious example.
I think the X factor against what I just wrote is Casey Because he has the additional size that UM needs For those certain teams. If Casey can do 3 things effectively this year, UM has a chance to make a deep run: defend, rebound and dunk off set ups from the guards.

But back to our original point, Miller, Wong and Pack are fantastic decision makers and give them the ball at the free throw line, in space playing 3 on 3 against a zone and its a wrap because teams can’t defend all the options. All 3 players can shoot, drive and are good passers. Let’s see what happens against ‘Cuse.

That Cuse game will be interesting. If we could beat their zone and hit our threes they might be forced to go man to man.
‘Cuse is the great test against the zone. Boeheim is a great coach and incredibly stubborn about his defense. If we can get the ball to Miller/Pack/Wong at the free throw line then we are in great shape. But to your point, that only happens if we hit 3’s and force the top 2 defenders in the 2-3 zone to step up and not collapse on the free throw line. I think we have the shooters this year to do just that.

Seriously…!

I didn’t read this thread until this morning and some of these posters are either just miserable humans or have no clue what they’re looking at. We’re sitting at 14-1 and have looked good doing it. Sound, gritty, mentally tough squad.

Miller sucks and his game is trash? Funny how @SouthParkCane went quiet after Miller picked it up. Maybe stick to football and recruiting bruh…

Miller has been nothing but a smooth glue guy with skills ever since coming over from GM.
I had college basketball offers so I’ll stick to what I know.. i chose to go track. My family is all football so I know it in and out but I never wanted to play college football. Don’t limit me to football if you have no idea of my background,I went quiet cause I went outside. I still hate his game. When he plays outside himself he’s ***. He’s a glue guy nothing else. Oh and kiss my ***. Y’all are clowns lol you and everybody who liked your petty post

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back