Bryce Fitzgerald Safety from Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
They already use him at WR occasionally.

I just rewatched our [heartbreaking] Columbus playoff game...(we were up 13-3 going into the 4th quarter) 🤦🏻‍♂️

And although Fitzgerald had like 39 interceptions that game, he wasn't exactly eager to get involved in the run defense. He looks very comfortable letting the other 10 guys handle it.
OL are run blocking and he's still dropping to the deep middle of the field. His feet aren't active and eager to get downhill, he's just drifting around with no urgency.

Now...
If the ball's in the air down the field, he'll go get that MF'er. He reminds me of Harlem Howard, the kid I had at Deerfield who led the state in interceptions and is currently at Oregon State. And his position coach told me that THE ONLY THING stopping him from being on the field right now is his willingness/eagerness to show up in the run game.

I say Fitz is a take and you figure it out when he gets on campus.
if he's not eager to tackle HS RB's, I doubt that will change when he see's kids like Damien Martinez running at him...

Advertisement
Sorry, but I can't get on board with football players that don't want to tackle. Big red flag for me. It's a physical game.....so go ****** tackle somebody!!!

People are going to hate me for it. But that's how I felt about James Williams. Yet I still wanted him. You can't pass on talent. And this kid has talent. Hopefully the competition and peer pressure at the next level pushes him to get there. It only happened with JW in his final year here IMO, and he still wanted to freelance in the secondary way more than playing close to the line.

People are going to hate me for it. But that's how I felt about James Williams. Yet I still wanted him. You can't pass on talent. And this kid has talent. Hopefully the competition and peer pressure at the next level pushes him to get there. It only happened with JW in his final year here IMO, and he still wanted to freelance in the secondary way more than playing close to the line.
If he committed, I wouldn't be upset at all. Proceed with caution I guess. I played with dudes that didn't want to play physical and it was infuriating. Pause

Last edited:
Advertisement
I get it about the tackling issues, if he can only play safety, but isn't this kid a straight up athlete that could play CB or WR?
While I think you gotta at least not be scared to tackle at CB, tackling isn't something I'd value all that highly for the position. And if he was going for WR, I wouldn't care at all..

When I was at Deerfield I used the Columbus versus Western tape to scout the Explorers before our playoff game with them...

And James Williams didn't tackle Henry Parrish all night. Whiff upon whiff upon whiff. The **** kid had 250+ on the ground.

Advertisement
If he doesn’t like to tackle, will he be afraid to block if he’s moved to WR?? Asking for a Donk up north….

Advertisement
@DMoney from the 7/26 Bank

- Two names that are re-emerging as options: RB Byron Louis (American Heritage) and DB Bryce Fitzgerald (Columbus)....The staff remains enamored with Fitzgerald as an athlete. The key is figuring out where Fitzgerald wants to play and fits best. With his elite ball skills and verified athleticism from the Under Armour combine, his best position may be cornerback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back