Believe The Hype

So wait, the guy who is supposed to be better than the last guy has lower expectations?

In year 2 the other guy won 7 games with all freshman and qbs who had never taken a snap, but now 6 wins is acceptable? 8 wins is not hard in the acc if this guy is a significant upgrade over shannon...no?

I consider this his 1st year. Sorry, last years clusterfark gets dude a pass. Hes taking care of business recruiting wise and in other areas. This is his inaugural season on the field as far as im concerned.

LOL WUT? Look, I like him and think he ultimately will do well here, but thats ridiculous. He would be the only coach in Miami Hurricanes history who everyone would be ok with going backwards from a 6 win season?

Hes got a bunch of guys coming out of their 2nd off season with him, some young talent and a system going into its second year on both sides of the ball. Had we not lost to 2 of the worst team in the FCS last year (BC & MD....MD beat 1 FCS school last year, guess who) he would have won 8 games last year.

winning 7 or 8 games isnt asking for a national title, its barely asking to be competitive within the coastal division.

Advertisement
So wait, the guy who is supposed to be better than the last guy has lower expectations?

In year 2 the other guy won 7 games with all freshman and qbs who had never taken a snap, but now 6 wins is acceptable? 8 wins is not hard in the acc if this guy is a significant upgrade over shannon...no?

I consider this his 1st year. Sorry, last years clusterfark gets dude a pass. Hes taking care of business recruiting wise and in other areas. This is his inaugural season on the field as far as im concerned.

LOL WUT? Look, I like him and think he ultimately will do well here, but thats ridiculous. He would be the only coach in Miami Hurricanes history who everyone would be ok with going backwards from a 6 win season?

Hes got a bunch of guys coming out of their 2nd off season with him, some young talent and a system going into its second year on both sides of the ball. Had we not lost to 2 of the worst team in the FCS last year (BC & MD....MD beat 1 FCS school last year, guess who) he would have won 8 games last year.

winning 7 or 8 games isnt asking for a national title, its barely asking to be competitive within the coastal division.

This guy was another Shammin slurper back in the day on Grassy.

LULZ @ "this is his inaugural season."

No it is not.

This is his second season.

Like Golden is the first coach to walk into a tough situation.

There's an element of hypocrisy there but it's not overly lenient on Golden--it was just expecting too much of Shannon. Realistically both were placed in a situation that is unlikely to be fixed within 3 years and Shannon got his 4 years. I'm sure people will start assassinating Golden as well if we win 6 games this year or 7 next. I dont expect much more than that though for this year. We really have no right being a good team this year.

Advertisement
7-5 at best. When you start ranking your best players and most the names you come up with are underclassmen, that's all you need to know.

7-5 at best. When you start ranking your best players and most the names you come up with are underclassmen, that's all you need to know.
Agreed. People need to seriously temper their expectations for this season. Golden is still cleaning up a mess that was 8 years in the making. It's going to take more than one year to right the ship.

There's an element of hypocrisy there but it's not overly lenient on Golden--it was just expecting too much of Shannon. Realistically both were placed in a situation that is unlikely to be fixed within 3 years and Shannon got his 4 years. I'm sure people will start assassinating Golden as well if we win 6 games this year or 7 next. I dont expect much more than that though for this year. We really have no right being a good team this year.

Another Shammin slurper.

This guy was another Shammin slurper back in the day on Grassy.

Weren't you exposed as a gator fan on grassy?

Advertisement
What are you saying? That the 2007 team was far better than this one, or that Golden should win 9 games? I'm saying that both teams stunk and that this team will probably win about 6 games which is expected. It's going to take Golden 3 years to make this a credible team IMO. That is what you'd get if you can read, and if you weren't blinded by the word "Shannon."

Another Shammin slurper.

The problem I have with this line of thinking is that Shannon was here during the regime prior to his and was created part of the mess he had to clean up. That's akin to having Himmler going in to clean up the mess after Hitler ate his self lead salad.

Back to the OP....a neighbor of mine in the mountains is a big time VT booster, who usually spends his time bragging about them, and couldnt give a flip about UM.

Just saw him for the first time yesterday, and instead of VT talk, all the talk was UM. "wow, y'all finally have a REAL coach", "man, does he EVER stop recruiting", "seems like we are going to have a competitive series now", and stuff like that. So while this year might be tough, the future does look bright, even to those not wearing green and orange shades.

I expect a tougher smarter team, and with flashes of rare talent from the newcomers, even if it's on special teams.

We need to avoid a losing season. That's the only thing that would begin to stamp Golden negatively, and potentially impact recruiting. I'm hoping for 7-5 but expect 6-6.

I would expect a young team with question marks at the skill positions to throw in at least one or two clunkers, when least expected. We avoided that last year. Even games that looked like they could get away on the scoreboard were reeled in, like the Maryland, Virginia Tech and FSU road games. Same with Kansas State at home. This season I think we'll surrender the touchdown that puts the game out of reach, whether it's due to an offensive turnover or a young defense simply deflating. Regression to the mean typically works. Didn't make sense we avoided blowout defeats last year, in a 6-6 season.

Advertisement
Just read a copy of Athon CFB Preview. They say 6-6. Bright future with a young team and promising coach but too young, too many seniors lost and a rough schedule.

Agree with it. That wont stop the DBC Miami mentality of 10 wins or GTFOH mentality this fanbase is afflicted with...

Wins at home vs. BC, NCST, UNC and USF are very doable.

Road wins vs. BC, GT and Duke are very doable.

Road wins vs. KSU, ND and UVA (revenge factors), and home wins vs. FSU and VT (rivalry games) are not crazy to think about either.

Not predicting 12-0, but see more upside over 6-6 than downside.

Just read a copy of Athon CFB Preview. They say 6-6. Bright future with a young team and promising coach but too young, too many seniors lost and a rough schedule.

Agree with it. That wont stop the DBC Miami mentality of 10 wins or GTFOH mentality this fanbase is afflicted with...
Perfectly stated.

Advertisement
Agreed. People need to seriously temper their expectations for this season. Golden is still cleaning up a mess that was 8 years in the making. It's going to take more than one year to right the ship.

8 years? That's a little ridiculous. More Half the roster wasn't around the feel that type of influence. One things for sure, some of the things that went on during games certainly had nothing to do with the previous 8 years.

The problem I have with this line of thinking is that Shannon was here during the regime prior to his and was created part of the mess he had to clean up. That's akin to having Himmler going in to clean up the mess after Hitler ate his self lead salad.

This line of Thinking is moot. Shannon was also here when one of the greatest rosters in CFB history was compiled just like Coker was. being apart of something is inconsequential in this instance.

This line of Thinking is moot. Shannon was also here when one of the greatest rosters in CFB history was compiled just like Coker was. being apart of something is inconsequential in this instance.

Another Shammin slurper right here. Crawling out of the woodwork.

Advertisement
Back