Believe The Hype

Read an article on another forum -to lazy to dig up the link- where one of our players, I think it was McGee, said something to the effect of the team always showing up late to meetings, etc. That things were "different" this season (2012-2013). This made me wonder how much control golden had over the team last year... I completely understand that it was not necessarily "his" team, but the "buzz" is played out.

We have heard about this supposed culture change since Randy Shannon was here. While Al gives us fans many more reasons to be optimistic about the direction of the program, all of his banter will mean nothing IF we do not see improvements in the W and L department.

Two years of 6-6, 7-5 ball is ridiculous. Stud coaches have proven that they can make drastic changes in short time spans. Is it fair to compare Golden to those dudes -Saban, Carrol, Meyer- maybe. Maybe not?

Bottom line: We need to win. Until we do, I aint believing the hype. I refuse to sip that Greentree Kool Aid.

#beentheredonethat

Advertisement
We are about to see if these guys work in the weight room and training is gonna pay off. We have tried to live way too long on talent alone, you cant say we havent been talented, but we have been out muscled and pushed around wayyyyy too long. Hopefully stronger football players can be better than talented schmucks we have had the past 5 or so year. I would also love to Morris play with that 4th qtr intensity, the entire game. In games he has been in, its like if he had a 20 minute 4th qtr he could beat anyone....

Read an article on another forum -to lazy to dig up the link- where one of our players, I think it was McGee, said something to the effect of the team always showing up late to meetings, etc. That things were "different" this season (2012-2013). This made me wonder how much control golden had over the team last year... I completely understand that it was not necessarily "his" team, but the "buzz" is played out.

We have heard about this supposed culture change since Randy Shannon was here. While Al gives us fans many more reasons to be optimistic about the direction of the program, all of his banter will mean nothing IF we do not see improvements in the W and L department.

Two years of 6-6, 7-5 ball is ridiculous. Stud coaches have proven that they can make drastic changes in short time spans. Is it fair to compare Golden to those dudes -Saban, Carrol, Meyer- maybe. Maybe not?

Bottom line: We need to win. Until we do, I aint believing the hype. I refuse to sip that Greentree Kool Aid.

#beentheredonethat

Truth

8-4

On paper, Notre Dame and FSU are the only games we should definitely lose.

VT and KState will be tough, and GT, UNC, UVA and USF are never pushovers.

But come on, win some of those f'ing games for once.

#beentheredonethat

Hey Nights! Dude, you got lots of time to keep repeating your standard rap.

Not so fast. All he was basically saying is what we've all been saying for years. "It's about winning football games".

All this talk is good and all, but eventually we have GOT to start winning some **** games.

Advertisement
Yeah but you can't compare those situations to Golden's at Miami. Meyer walked in a dream situation, really talented roster. Saban had a pretty nice situation.

Golden walked into a **** storm: horrible roster management, culture, and then the sanction that loom over the program.

That said I'd be disappointed with 7 wins but there are a lot of reasons why that might happen.

Miami can easily be 4-8 or 5-7 if the offense doesn't pan out and no consistent play makers emerge. People talk about Morris but he couldn't beat out Harris, Hurns is unproven, Dorsett made a few plays, MJ was a disappointment as was the OL. The chances ALL of that being fixed in 2012 is highly unlikely. That Miami team last year was garbage and the players replacing them (except Hurns) weren't really even close to playing over them.

Yeah but you can't compare those situations to Golden's at Miami. Meyer walked in a dream situation, really talented roster. Saban had a pretty nice situation.

Golden walked into a **** storm: horrible roster management, culture, and then the sanction that loom over the program.

That said I'd be disappointed with 7 wins but there are a lot of reasons why that might happen.

Yes, Golden walked into a bad situation. There is no doubt about it. But. let's not kid ourselves: UM pumps out NFL prospects, more so than UF. That's for sure. Moreover, in addition to the quantity of players we put out, our quality trumps or is on par with any of the schools mentioned above.

College coaches WISH they can walk into **** storms with players of Sam Shields caliber on the roster, for instance. Sam is one of many that is doing his thing in the league. He is one of many that force us to question where was the development in college?

Golden has only been here one season. To suggest that we should not see improvement by year two is silly. Does that mean we should win the NC like the coaches above? No. But, we should be getting better. How much better? Well, I believe that hinges on the coaching, and the players...

All I am saying is let's not pretend coaching has nothing to do with things, because it does.

Last edited:

#beentheredonethat

Not sure what this even means.

Advertisement
Saban and Meyer walked into drastically different situations than Golden.

Some can talk all the **** they want to about the U puts more players in the NFL box, but we didn't do so well even at that lately. That don't win no games now.

I would equate Golden's task just about what Schnellenberger walked into. Both men are having to build a team that amounted to a bigger suck than a black hole. THEN, because of some real geniuses - our starters were suspended! All this BS was Shantard's damned leftover mess that encroached into half of Golden's season, and THEN - Shannon left the cupboards bare with his half-assed efforts. Gawd!

Thus, I consider THIS to be Golden's first year.

Question is, how's he going to do his FIRST year?

8-4

On paper, Notre Dame and FSU are the only games we should definitely lose.

VT and KState will be tough, and GT, UNC, UVA and USF are never pushovers.

But come on, win some of those f'ing games for once.

I agree with most of your post except the Notre Dame thing bro.Hard for Notre Dame to bring in a freshman quarterback and beat our defense,they are Ohio State from last year except with a better coach,that's it.I will take Kstate coaching and/or Vtech talent before Notre Dame,they might not get 4 wins this year.

#beentheredonethat

Not sure what this even means.

Great catch, Dandy. This is Miaminights.

I've never seen so much biasednessass in my life. You guys really think were gonna have a better record than last year? All of our best players were juniors and they left. We will go 4-8 or 5-7.. The only way we have a winning record is if some miracle all of our freshman play out of their minds. ANd thats highly unlikely. I really think we go 5-7 or 4-8

Advertisement
Just throwing this out there: without me looking at the schedule, 9 wins makes us about like the 1999 team. That team had Dorsey/Kelly, Portis, James Jackson, Moss, Wayne, King, Franks, Damione Lewis, Bill Joseph, Webster, Dan Morgan, Rumph, Reed, Len Myers. The problem is that the vast majority of those guys were sophomores/freshmen. Do we really think that our current players are that talented?

In general, young players don't win a lot of games. They can HELP you win games, but they aren't going to be the foundation of a really good team. It's far more likely that a team with 25 true and redshirt SENIORS comes outta the woodwork. In typical fashion, the absence of information has blinded some. This is not likely to be a good team. Roundabout this time last year, we were hearing about how all the seniors had "bought in" to Golden and such and such. Now we talk like there was absolute anarchy and revolt. In the offseason we're not going to hear much negative.

I've never seen so much biasednessass in my life. You guys really think were gonna have a better record than last year? All of our best players were juniors and they left. We will go 4-8 or 5-7.. The only way we have a winning record is if some miracle all of our freshman play out of their minds. ANd thats highly unlikely. I really think we go 5-7 or 4-8

Its the conference, really. Its junk from top to bottom so we will win some games.

Penn this is where you've been. Nice.
I like your 99 reference. I see the defense being like the 99 defense.
Offense I see like the 2005 offense.
Team was coming off losing QB Berlin and stud RB Gore like this team is losing Harris and Miller.
Wright was a Strong ARMED sophomore coming in with limited action much like Morris is although Morris has seen more action than what Wright had. Both have cannon arm
2005 team replaced Gore by committee much like 2012 offense will replace Miller.
WR's were also high on potential much like Hurns, Scott and Dorsett are although I think the latter are tougher mentally and better fundamentally. We'll see how that plays out.

Advertisement
8-4, NCAA hits us with 12 schollies over 3 years, time served for bowl game and we end up in a mid tier bowl

@BC W
@KSU L
Bethune W
@GTech W
UNC W
ND L
UNC W
FSU W
VagTech L
Virginia L
USF W
@ Duke W

So wait, the guy who is supposed to be better than the last guy has lower expectations?

In year 2 the other guy won 7 games with all freshman and qbs who had never taken a snap, but now 6 wins is acceptable? 8 wins is not hard in the acc if this guy is a significant upgrade over shannon...no?

So wait, the guy who is supposed to be better than the last guy has lower expectations?

In year 2 the other guy won 7 games with all freshman and qbs who had never taken a snap, but now 6 wins is acceptable? 8 wins is not hard in the acc if this guy is a significant upgrade over shannon...no?

I consider this his 1st year. Sorry, last years clusterfark gets dude a pass. Hes taking care of business recruiting wise and in other areas. This is his inaugural season on the field as far as im concerned.

I consider this his 1st year. Sorry, last years clusterfark gets dude a pass. Hes taking care of business recruiting wise and in other areas. This is his inaugural season on the field as far as im concerned.

20.gif

Advertisement
Back