Bat Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Bench reps don't always translate to on the field strength. I'm talking about on the field, even when you watch his highlight tapes which is all good and no bad you can see he struggles to move people in the run game unless he's significantly bigger then them. I do like him as a pass blocker though. He might have to kick inside at the next level and will need to get stronger in the run game if he's going to go against these giant 300LBs+ DTs. Luckily we have a top tier S&C program.

Watch the 2nd play where he goes up against someone his own size and gets manhandled.

Here's another 4-5 plays of him getting manhandled. This is why it's important to actually watch the film instead of checking box scores and watching highlights tapes. If you want to get a good look at a prospect go watch the hudl tapes of the prospects who played against them.

Here's some more clips of him getting ragdolled

That first clip the 2nd play he was so late off the ball and that's why he got handled. Not sure why he was so late.

The rest of it just confirms my initial opinion even from his highlights (his good tape) that he's absolutely terrible when he gets into his kick step. It looks like he's playing on a slipping slide and can't change direction or anchor out of it.

He does have good ankle and knee bend at that size and I'm sure that's what Mirabal likes. When he has a defined assignment in the run game he's grading people down. Pass pro is bad. Starts so low and then ends so high he can't control himself.

All coachable but I kinda question the take - thinking it's a placeholder to evaluate senior season. I said the same about Tripp and he was pretty ****-poor his senior year and they still kept him.

That first clip the 2nd play he was so late off the ball and that's why he got handled. Not sure why he was so late.

The rest of it just confirms my initial opinion even from his highlights (his good tape) that he's absolutely terrible when he gets into his kick step. It looks like he's playing on a slipping slide and can't change direction or anchor out of it.

He does have good ankle and knee bend at that size and I'm sure that's what Mirabal likes. When he has a defined assignment in the run game he's grading people down. Pass pro is bad. Starts so low and then ends so high he can't control himself.

All coachable but I kinda question the take - thinking it's a placeholder to evaluate senior season. I said the same about Tripp and he was pretty ****-poor his senior year and they still kept him.
Do you think he can kick inside at the next level?

Advertisement

Maybe I'm watching the wrong guy but the spotlight in each play is on a defensive lineman. Is he on the OL or DL? If he's the OL,

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

Maybe I'm watching the wrong guy but the spotlight in each play is on a defensive lineman. Is he on the OL or DL? If he's the OL,

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix
Its some else's highlight against him.

Thats the thing, even the very best make mistakes or get too cute overestimating their prowess. Even Bill Belichick ***** up. How often to we see a QB guru fall in love with a raw prospect thinking they can mold them into something great. Now admittedly Im an amateur on a good day, but thats what I see here. This is the first take where its a head scratcher for me, but Mario has earned the right and trust especially along the OL.

We're talking about the player he currently is though, you responded to my post about him not being strong enough for his size on the field.
I doubt he’s being recruited to step in as a day one starter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Bench reps don't always translate to on the field strength. I'm talking about on the field, even when you watch his highlight tapes which is all good and no bad you can see he struggles to move people in the run game unless he's significantly bigger then them. I do like him as a pass blocker though. He might have to kick inside at the next level and will need to get stronger in the run game if he's going to go against these giant 300LBs+ DTs. Luckily we have a top tier S&C program.

Watch the 2nd play where he goes up against someone his own size and gets manhandled.

Here's another 4-5 plays of him getting manhandled. This is why it's important to actually watch the film instead of checking box scores and watching highlights tapes. If you want to get a good look at a prospect go watch the hudl tapes of the prospects who played against them.

Here's some more clips of him getting ragdolled

Bench press indicates good functional strength.

The fact that he isn't getting movement therefore comes down poor technique, high hands and lack of functional movement from the hips down (coordination).

Which is normal for a KID WHO IS 6'6 AND 315 LBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back