Baseball: Manhattan Series

The last time we advanced deeper than Florida was 2008.

That's rich.

So after accusing me of presenting numbers in a misleading way you pull out this gem.

Florida has gone 0-2 in a Regional three times in that span including in back-to-back years (2013-14). Somehow going to the regional championship game in 2014 (3-2) doesn't qualifying as 'advancing deeper' than Florida's 0-2.

You're twisting yourself into a pretzel on this. Probably because you didn't even know that Miami has a higher winning percentage than Florida since 2008.

It pays to be informed.

Advertisement
The last time we advanced deeper than Florida was 2008.

That's rich.

So after accusing me of presenting numbers in a misleading way you pull out this gem.

Florida has gone 0-2 in a Regional three times in that span including in back-to-back years (2013-14). Somehow going to the regional championship game in 2014 (3-2) doesn't qualifying as 'advancing deeper' than Florida's 0-2.

You're twisting yourself into a pretzel on this. Probably because you didn't even know that Miami has a higher winning percentage than Florida since 2008.

It pays to be informed.

In your world it's worth celebrating when you get to the "regional championship game". In my world that is the same as going 0-2. Either way, someone else is advancing. We have not advanced farther than Florida since 2008, no matter how you want to spin it.

I don't care that Miami has a higher winning percentage. We're only talking about this now because it's the last thing you have to hold on to. Literally no one cares that we "win the Coastal" if we fall on our face in the post-season.

By the way, in 2014, that red hot Texas Tech pitching staff came into Coral Gables losing five of their last nine and giving up 5+ runs per game. Must have been one heck of a motivational speech on the flight over.

The one year you have to celebrate over Florida is Sully's first year as a head coach when he took over a program that missed the regionals the previous two years. That is the one year Morris was better than Sully. It took Sully exactly one season as a head coach to make his program better than Miami's for the next eight years (and counting).

This is so incorrect and dishonest that it's frightening.

It's hard to keep up with your ever-changing standards.

Is it head-to-head results? Because Miami swept Florida in 2009. Even if you count the Regional results Miami won the series 3-2 with all games being in Gainesville. Miami also won the series in 2014.

Is it doing better in the postseason? Because Florida went 0-2 in 2013 (Miami went 1-2) and 2014 (Miami went 3-2).

Is it overall record? Because Miami was certainly better in 2013:

Miami: 37-25 (.597%)
Florida 29-30 (.492%)

And 2014:

Miami: 44-19 (.698%)
Florida: 40-23 (.635%)

You don't have to respond. I already know the answers. It's whatever you want it to be at the moment. Whatever standard that allows you to bash the coach and the program is sufficient.

The one year you have to celebrate over Florida is Sully's first year as a head coach when he took over a program that missed the regionals the previous two years. That is the one year Morris was better than Sully. It took Sully exactly one season as a head coach to make his program better than Miami's for the next eight years (and counting).

This is so incorrect and dishonest that it's frightening.

It's hard to keep up with your ever-changing standards.

Is it head-to-head results? Because Miami swept Florida in 2009. Even if you count the Regional results Miami won the series 3-2 with all games being in Gainesville. Miami also won the series in 2014.

Is it doing better in the postseason? Because Florida went 0-2 in 2013 (Miami went 1-2) and 2014 (Miami went 3-2).

Is it overall record? Because Miami was certainly better in 2013:

Miami: 37-25 (.597%)
Florida 29-30 (.492%)

And 2014:

Miami: 44-19 (.698%)
Florida: 40-23 (.635%)

You don't have to respond. I already know the answers. It's whatever you want it to be at the moment. Whatever standard that allows you to bash the coach and the program is sufficient.

So I'm the one who changes standards, but depending on the year, you use a different measurement? That's unique. I understand the frustration.

Let's just hope that we can "win the Coastal" so we can put up another banner.

Advertisement
What we do know with absolute certainty is that 2012, 2013, and 2014 saw miserable results with the guy who we decided to keep.

Again you think 44-19 (24-6) and an ACC regular season championship is miserable because we ran into a team that had perhaps the greatest postseason ERA in history of the sport.

If so then what was 2013-14 for Florida? 29-30 and an 0-2 BBQ followed by a 40-23 and 0-2 BBQ.

So that would be 4 years running where Florida is no better than us but you're still whining about 7 years ago.

What we do know with absolute certainty is that 2012, 2013, and 2014 saw miserable results with the guy who we decided to keep.

Again you think 44-19 (24-6) and an ACC regular season championship is miserable because we ran into a team that had perhaps the greatest postseason ERA in history of the sport.

If so then what was 2013-14 for Florida? 29-30 and an 0-2 BBQ followed by a 40-23 and 0-2 BBQ.

So that would be 4 years running where Florida is no better than us but you're still whining about 7 years ago.

No we ran into a team that had the luxury of playing six straight games against Columbia, Miami, and College of Charleston. The team that got blasted in the Big 12 tournament all of a sudden figured out how to pitch? No, they played a 21st century Jim Morris team.

There is a measurement called the ISR by Massey that is a much more accurate representation of how good we are each year. Instead of believing the puffed up RPI try looking at what some other computers are saying.

So we don't care if UNC-Asheville knocks off Villanova. No difference in the opponent whatsoever. If they're hot, they're the same team as Villanova.

Basketball is not baseball.

A person of average intelligence would know the difference.

In general you'd take the 'worse' team every time until you get run over by the Cinderella and by then it's too late.

So we don't care if UNC-Asheville knocks off Villanova. No difference in the opponent whatsoever. If they're hot, they're the same team as Villanova.

In general you'd take the 'worse' team every time until you get run over by the Cinderella and by then it's too late.

That made no sense.

Advertisement
Except that we showed over and over that our placement in the tournament has been vastly overrated since 2008.

No we didn't.

We only 'under-performed' in 2012 and 2014.

2009: Regional # 2 seed that failed to advance over the host # 1 seed
2010: Regional host who advanced and lost to the national seed
2011: Regional # 2 seed that failed to advance over the host # 1 seed
2013: Regional # 2 seed that failed to advance over the host # 1 seed
2015: National seed who advanced to the College World Series

You really don't follow this team do you?

Yes. They have been better than Miami every year starting in 2009. Every single year, and that is undeniable.

Except it's not undeniable. You're just incredibly uninformed.

Miami: 37-25 (1-2 in postseason)
Florida: 29-30 (0-2 in postseason)

Miami: 44-19 (3-2 in postseason)
Florida: 40-23 (0-2) in postseason)

You really don't follow this sport do you?

In your world it's worth celebrating when you get to the "regional championship game".

There you go again.

Now stating a simple fact is considered 'celebrating' a regional championship game appearance.

You're so dishonest that's it's oozing out of your pores.

Advertisement

round balls are round

By the way, in 2014, that red hot Texas Tech pitching staff came into Coral Gables losing five of their last nine and giving up 5+ runs per game. Must have been one heck of a motivational speech on the flight over.

Texas Tech pitching gave up 9 runs (only 6 earned) in 8 postseason games.

One of the great postseason runs in the history of the sport.

But they gave up some runs before that (when we didn't play them) so that apparently means something.

Advertisement
So I'm the one who changes standards, but depending on the year, you use a different measurement? That's unique. I understand the frustration.

I asked you what standard to use.

Whichever one it is you were wrong to claim that Florida has been better every year since 2009 and it's undeniable.

No we ran into a team that had the luxury of playing six straight games against Columbia, Miami, and College of Charleston. The team that

They gave up 6 earned runs in 8 postseason games. They gave up 3 in 18 innings in Omaha.

You always have a stupid rationalization to employ when you want to bash Miami.

Last edited:
There is a measurement called the ISR by Massey that is a much more accurate representation of how good we are each year. Instead of believing the puffed up RPI try looking at what some other computers are saying.

I know the ISR well. Boyd claims that it's predictive which means it's not like the RPI. I reference both of them as well as ELO.

But if you're really interested in accuracy the ISR has gotten Miami wrong more times than not. Boyd thought Miami was overrated almost every year since the ratings started (1997) even though we were winning championships and CWS appearances.

Me and another Canes fan pounded him mercilessly on the old Rivals board. He cried uncle.

Advertisement
Back