2024 Aydin Breland 4* DT from Mater Dei

Need two DT studs and a DE stud.

Does Breland/Jones/Lightfoot/Russell meet your expectation?

I think we land at least another DE stud. Landing Breland/Jones/Lightfoot as studs counts. Russell is likely a 3T project or a tweener (too short for SDE).

Advertisement
I think we land at least another DE stud. Landing Breland/Jones/Lightfoot as studs counts. Russell is likely a 3T project or a tweener (too short for SDE).
I’ll change the picture a little from @AUcane

Does this crop satisfy you?

DE - Lightfoot
DT - Jones
DT - Franklin
DT - Russell
DE - Rudolph

What’s the better combo?

Breland & Scott

Or

Breland & Franklin

Or

Franklin & Scott

Signed,

Peruche

Absolutely not.

I’m fine with one elite end but you need three elite DTs. Jones has all-world potential but you need at least two guys ready to fight for the two deep in ‘24 given what the potential depth chart looks like. I don’t think Jones will be ready - unbelievable potential, but still raw.

And I get everyone is still technically “unpolished” out of high school, but some guys are further along than others.

Put your money where your mouth is and win out for Franklin and Breland. We’ve already whiffed on everyone else, should have plenty of funds right?

Agree that DT is a need. We will most likely lose 5 DTs after this year and we'd be left with Moten, Horton and Collins. That is a REALLY light group.

Advertisement

DE - Lightfoot
DT - Jones
DT - Franklin
DT - Russell
DE - Rudolph
This will depend on two things:
1. Do we keep some of the 2 deep(and freshmen kids) on campus vs early departures (transfer or NFL)?
2. Do we land 1 stud from the portal?

Less concerned about DE as I am DT.

LT technically could stay as an example.

I get why people would say they would be disappointed. It still would be our best DT haul since….can’t even remember

Still would feel like we missed on way too much though

Breland and Jones are game changers at the position though

DE - Lightfoot
DT - Jones
DT - Franklin
DT - Russell
DE - Rudolph

I'm not yet convinced on the last two. Russell has an odd body type and I know he was productive and people love throwing around the Bain comp (in terms of size) and Rudolph is REALLY skinny (barely over 200).

I get why people would say they would be disappointed. It still would be our best DT haul since….can’t even remember

Still would feel like we missed on way too much though

Breland and Jones are game changers at the position though
it would be a good way to salvage the DL class for sure. Jones is gonna be a fight though but im confident in Mario to close out a committed kid.

we still did miss on a lot based on the rah rah bs that was hyped up before.

Advertisement
Agree that DT is a need. We will most likely lose 5 DTs after this year and we'd be left with Moten, Horton and Collins. That is a REALLY light group.
JHH - you think he leaves?
LT is only a Sophomore so he could play another two years.

I know he hasn't been mentioned much recently but with Booker Pickett now OV'ing during the season wouldn't he almost be a take at that DE spot if Rudolph doesn't want in?

If Guidry's D proves itself and the team overall looks worlds better as well as getting wins we'll see an influx of talent at all positions... The fact that we're able to land what we're landing after last year is still positive... Yea we're taking hits on the trail but honestly everyone takes hits....
The team improves, recruiting improves...

2024-
DT
JHH, Moten, Horton, Collins, Gore, maybe Bain, maybe LT: 5-7
Plus- 1 portal, 2-3 freshmen

DE
Harvey, Kelly, Moss, Wayne, Williams, maybe Mesidor, maybe Bain: 5-7
Plus- 2-3 freshmen

Edit: forgot about Campbell who has 2 years to play. Either another tall 3T like Collins or SDE

Last edited:
Advertisement

Need this fleshed out more… on the surface if the top players we got were Breland, Lightfoot and Jones, while not ideal I can live with that as it’s good but we need another good DT. If it’s not Stone or Kam I get it but it has to be a strong addition. There has to be 4 DTs, has to be. Now when you consider who our HC and his strength, then we need to land both Breland and Kam to meet expectations.

it would be a good way to salvage the DL class for sure. Jones is gonna be a fight though but im confident in Mario to close out a committed kid.

we still did miss on a lot based on the rah rah bs that was hyped up before.
Yeah I’m trying to look at it like remove the hype and all we’ve heard. Like if you just woke up from a slumber on signing day you’d probably be pretty hyped to land those guys

But I also totally understand people saying they would be disappointed

Long way to go though, I’m sure Mario will have some tricks up his sleeve

Yeah I’m trying to look at it like remove the hype and all we’ve heard. Like if you just woke up from a slumber on signing day you’d probably be pretty hyped to land those guys

But I also totally understand people saying they would be disappointed

Long way to go though, I’m sure Mario will have some tricks up his sleeve
well cribby has said that he never bought into the best class ever bs. for now, its been disappointing, but long way to go and mario is an elite recruiter so hes not giving up (relating to DL and OL tho (this is a caveat bc i trsut mario here but if the insiders are a bit worried then i pause) i love the lightfoot pull as does everyone).

WR i am pleasantly surprised. great class so far.

Advertisement
We truly should sign 6 DL every year. I'm good with 2 with upside that are 3* types but the other 4 should be known starter material. Of the 4, you'd like 2 that have high ceilings and high floors.

Lightfoot (high ceiling and floor)
Franklin, Stone in this group

Jones (high ceiling and low floor due to lack of experience)
Rudolph in this group IMO as the concern is size

Russell (upside and local)

Last edited:
Need this fleshed out more… on the surface if the top players we got were Breland, Lightfoot and Jones, while not ideal I can live with that as it’s good but we need another good DT. If it’s not Stone or Kam I get it but it has to be a strong addition. There has to be 4 DTs, has to be. Now when you consider who our HC and his strength, then we need to land both Breland and Kam to meet expectations.
I’m with you I was hoping that 3rd guy would be a Jayden Jackson type. To me it’s just not realistic to land three guys like Stone, Breland, Jones that’s Fantasy Land

I wanted two and then finish it up with another really solid 4 star type but those options fell off as well which puts us in a really tight spot

well cribby has said that he never bought into the best class ever bs. for now, its been disappointing, but long way to go and mario is an elite recruiter so hes not giving up (relating to DL and OL tho (this is a caveat bc i trsut mario here but if the insiders are a bit worried then i pause) i love the lightfoot pull as does everyone).

WR i am pleasantly surprised. great class so far.
In all honesty our “best class ever” at DL is a pretty low bar. We’ve been terrible at that spot

But I have always been a “wait and see” guy when it comes to recruiting DTs against the SEC and Ohio States of the world

I’m not criticizing anyone that got over the moon about it but it just didn’t seem like reality to me and Cribbys approach only solidified that

Advertisement
Back