(An Offensively Mediocre) Offensive Line

gabednconfused

That/Dude
Premium
The O-line has taken a significant step back with Rivers being out, but we need to call a spade a spade:

70 (Markel Bell) is not good.

Does a lot of catching, has no real push, plays very high, and is seemingly quite flat-footed. Buddy did not use his hands at all, seemingly has no punch, and was holding just about every play in pass pro.

I think the combo with him and 78 (McCoy) has been really flat and is what is killing our run game. In pass pro, McCoy is on roller skates to bull rushes from some random Ball St DTs...

We like to pull backside Guard and Tackle (Cooper & Mauigoa), or one or the other running to the left and it looks like because the front side Guard and Tackle cant crash down, those pulling plays were all blown up.

---------------------------------

From those in the "know" I heard over the weekend that coaches have said that Samson (63) has not progressed as expected, and has not been able to crack the 2 deep at guard or tackle. @DMoney can you share more insights on what is holding him back? I know he had injuries but he seems to be past that right?

Without an established run game, I am unsure about our chances to make a real run. Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually and just dare Cam to thread the needle. I like our chances but it could go poorly. What Ball St. was doing was clearly idiotic selling out for the run considering how prolific of a passer we have, but I think we need to have a serious convo about the group of guys...

Discuss...

Advertisement
The O-line has taken a significant step back with Rivers being out, but we need to call a spade a spade:

Does a lot of catching, has no real push, plays very high, and is seemingly quite flat-footed. Buddy did not use his hands at all, seemingly has no punch, and was holding just about every play in pass pro.

I think the combo with him and 78 (McCoy) has been really flat and is what is killing our run game. In pass pro, McCoy is on roller skates to bull rushes from some random Ball St DTs...

We like to pull backside Guard and Tackle (Cooper & Mauigoa), or one or the other running to the left and it looks like because the front side Guard and Tackle cant crash down, those pulling plays were all blown up.

From those in the "know" I heard over the weekend that coaches have said that Samson (63) has not progressed as expected, and has not been able to crack the 2 deep at guard or tackle. @DMoney can you share more insights on what is holding him back? I know he had injuries but he seems to be past that right?

Without an established run game, I am unsure about our chances to make a real run. Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually and just dare Cam to thread the needle. I like our chances but it could go poorly. What Ball St. was doing was clearly idiotic selling out for the run considering how prolific of a passer we have, but I think we need to have a serious convo about the group of guys...

Discuss...
Confident we'll be able to run on anyone's 3-man front.

Advertisement

Discuss...
You bring up some strong points.

Against more refined opponents, their lack of elite play could render our Hurricane's attack one-dimensional...

200.gif

Advertisement
You bring up some strong points.

Against more refined opponents, their lack of elite play could render our Hurricane's attack one-dimensional...
This is all I am trying to say. We all patting ourselves on the back after yesterday, but that was NOT a good team we played, and Bell was having fits with their edge rush.

Discuss...

I dare any team to try to stop our rushing attack with only 3 defenders in the box.

Nice troll attempt though. You were doing great up to that point.

Advertisement

Discuss...
I cant take this post too serious based off the two big bolded sequence.

Discuss...
Samson better step up or Mario may decide to cut him loose and use his NIL on a big-time OL in next years portal.

Advertisement
Bell is putting snaps on film which will help his development.
Not sure about Samson; maybe he just isn’t that good? Maybe slow to recover?
I’m not going to worry about it too much considering we are shattering offensive records right now though.

Advertisement
Back