(An Offensively Mediocre) Offensive Line

Bell is putting snaps on film which will help his development.
Not sure about Samson; maybe he just isn’t that good? Maybe slow to recover?
I’m not going to worry about it too much considering we are shattering offensive records right now though.
Samson not sniffing the field is a bit weird. I would have to think that knowing our coaches ability to evaluate talent, something went wrong...

Advertisement
You cannot complain about something like that while we are winning. You also have to wait until the masses agree it’s a problem and then join in.

You must be new here
Lol. I am not new here, but you are right... cant have a forward-looking projection into a playoff run, but that is not a playoff OL combination right now. That I can tell.

Advertisement
The O-line has taken a significant step back with Rivers being out, but we need to call a spade a spade:

70 (Markel Bell) is not good.

Does a lot of catching, has no real push, plays very high, and is seemingly quite flat-footed. Buddy did not use his hands at all, seemingly has no punch, and was holding just about every play in pass pro.

I think the combo with him and 78 (McCoy) has been really flat and is what is killing our run game. In pass pro, McCoy is on roller skates to bull rushes from some random Ball St DTs...

We like to pull backside Guard and Tackle (Cooper & Mauigoa), or one or the other running to the left and it looks like because the front side Guard and Tackle cant crash down, those pulling plays were all blown up.

---------------------------------

From those in the "know" I heard over the weekend that coaches have said that Samson (63) has not progressed as expected, and has not been able to crack the 2 deep at guard or tackle. @DMoney can you share more insights on what is holding him back? I know he had injuries but he seems to be past that right?

Without an established run game, I am unsure about our chances to make a real run. Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually and just dare Cam to thread the needle. I like our chances but it could go poorly. What Ball St. was doing was clearly idiotic selling out for the run considering how prolific of a passer we have, but I think we need to have a serious convo about the group of guys...

Discuss...
Fair points. The OL is still finding itself without Rivers.
But Cam can and will thread the needle.

See you in Charlotte.

Without an established run game, I am unsure about our chances to make a real run. Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually and just dare Cam to thread the needle. I like our chances but it could go poorly.
Florida already showed what happens when "Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually." Cam walks for a first down and then some. We dare any team to drop 8 and then get eaten up by Cam and our RBs. Once they commit 2+ guys to the run we open the pass back up with Cam throwing wherever the **** he wants to.

I swear some of our fans...

Yes, the run game has to improve massively but to pretend we have statuesque TVD back there against an OL that blocks exceptionally in pass pro is asinine.

Advertisement
Our pass pro might be better than last year.. Hard to compare due to opponent/QB’s. Top notch regardless.

Might want to specify run blocking.
The pass pro is superb. You can't ask an OL to be great at both pass pro AND run blocking - that's just not realistic.

Miami will survive with being really good at pass-pro, and OK at run-blocking.

The O-line has taken a significant step back with Rivers being out, but we need to call a spade a spade:

70 (Markel Bell) is not good.

Does a lot of catching, has no real push, plays very high, and is seemingly quite flat-footed. Buddy did not use his hands at all, seemingly has no punch, and was holding just about every play in pass pro.

I think the combo with him and 78 (McCoy) has been really flat and is what is killing our run game. In pass pro, McCoy is on roller skates to bull rushes from some random Ball St DTs...

We like to pull backside Guard and Tackle (Cooper & Mauigoa), or one or the other running to the left and it looks like because the front side Guard and Tackle cant crash down, those pulling plays were all blown up.

---------------------------------

From those in the "know" I heard over the weekend that coaches have said that Samson (63) has not progressed as expected, and has not been able to crack the 2 deep at guard or tackle. @DMoney can you share more insights on what is holding him back? I know he had injuries but he seems to be past that right?

Without an established run game, I am unsure about our chances to make a real run. Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually and just dare Cam to thread the needle. I like our chances but it could go poorly. What Ball St. was doing was clearly idiotic selling out for the run considering how prolific of a passer we have, but I think we need to have a serious convo about the group of guys...

Discuss...

i am not an insider and have no knowledge. HOWEVER, i sit directly behind the OL bench and Okonlola is not engaged with anyone his entire time on the field. he stands in between benches or behind the OL bench. no energy, no interest, no engagement.

i think that says a lot about where he is at within the program.

The pass pro is superb. You can't ask an OL to be great at both pass pro AND run blocking - that's just not realistic.

Miami will survive with being really good at pass-pro, and OK at run-blocking.
It's better to just think about a hand-off as a very short, very quick pass within the 4 dimensions in which one varies their attacks on a defense.

Advertisement
i am not an insider and have no knowledge. HOWEVER, i sit directly behind the OL bench and Okonlola is not engaged with anyone his entire time on the field. he stands in between benches or behind the OL bench. no energy, no interest, no engagement.

i think that says a lot about where he is at within the program.
I would say ive seen him engaged in the two games ive been to and thats from up above the same sideline including saturday so im not sure on that.

I mean its different for an OL they wont have the same sort of personality on the sideline as say a wr or db anyway.

But i get what your saying.

Advertisement
I would say ive seen him engaged in the two games ive been to and thats from up above the same sideline including saturday so im not sure on that.

I mean its different for an OL they wont have the same sort of personality on the sideline as say a wr or db anyway.

But i get what your saying.
dude, i'm 15 feet away from him. he's not engaged. never, or almost never.

Advertisement
Back