(An Offensively Mediocre) Offensive Line

Advertisement
If there is one place this staff has earned my trust is with the OL. I don't like we are giving up sacks to FAMU but they working.

If you look back at the 01 OL there's times (Penn St comes to mind) where it looks scary like there's going to be lots of pressure but Dorsey was good enough to move around and get the ball out.

Run game isn't there. But as long as we can get what we need I don't care.

Advertisement
This thread..dear Lord. Bell did have a penalty that brought back a long TD, and the overall effort wasn't McKinney-like. Neither was it anything close to Zion v Gators or the MAC team we struggle-bussed against that year. Remember, they hoped Bell would grab a shirt this year (still?). I think he'll be ok. Yes, he needs to be developed, but wasn't awful in the way it was characterized.
As far as Samson not sniffing the field/depth chart - just not true. He's a 2nd team tackle, off an injury, getting some snaps under his belt in D-1. And that's a leap from his HS competition. He looked fine yesterday, as did many of the backups on the OL, including 55&75. Again, the tools are there. Now if he's too pricey..
I didn't notice McCoy being on skates, but it appears to me he's a tackle providing depth at guard. And the staff likes him. McCoy-Bell-Okunlola-Kinsler in no particular order, a couple learning new positions, most young - yeah, eventually there could be an odd man out.

Last edited:
The O-line has taken a significant step back with Rivers being out, but we need to call a spade a spade:

70 (Markel Bell) is not good.

Does a lot of catching, has no real push, plays very high, and is seemingly quite flat-footed. Buddy did not use his hands at all, seemingly has no punch, and was holding just about every play in pass pro.

I think the combo with him and 78 (McCoy) has been really flat and is what is killing our run game. In pass pro, McCoy is on roller skates to bull rushes from some random Ball St DTs...

We like to pull backside Guard and Tackle (Cooper & Mauigoa), or one or the other running to the left and it looks like because the front side Guard and Tackle cant crash down, those pulling plays were all blown up.

---------------------------------

From those in the "know" I heard over the weekend that coaches have said that Samson (63) has not progressed as expected, and has not been able to crack the 2 deep at guard or tackle. @DMoney can you share more insights on what is holding him back? I know he had injuries but he seems to be past that right?

Without an established run game, I am unsure about our chances to make a real run. Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually and just dare Cam to thread the needle. I like our chances but it could go poorly. What Ball St. was doing was clearly idiotic selling out for the run considering how prolific of a passer we have, but I think we need to have a serious convo about the group of guys...

Discuss...

You have some valid concerns and it has been discussed on this forum. Perhaps our fellow Canes want to enjoy what we have seen and experienced this season?
I don't pretend to speak for many, much less the majority but, IMO, life is too short. Enjoy the highlights and victories!
As for Samson, one doesn't need to speak with an "insider" to understand he hasn't performed at a level to earn a starting position.
It happens.
In fact, to every program that recruits blue-chippers.
Witness programs like fsu which receives Alabama's sloppy seconds.
Anyways, enjoy what we have and relax on playoff talks for now. How about winning a bowl game for once?

Last edited:
Okunlola has played almost 50 snaps in the last 2 weeks. Thats good for him being a back up tackle and getting his feet wet.

The upside is there let it cook...everything doesnt have to be microwavable.

I personally still would be in favor of bringing in a bookend tackle int he portal since i dont see us bringing in a center finally this off szn.

In the preseason, our quarterback literally said “pick your poison”.

Teams are picking. And they’re being poisoned to the point where our quarterback literally has the shortest odds in the entire country to win the most prestigious award that has ever existed in the sport.

It’s not a bad thread. We should be getting more push in the run game. But first of all, we have to get healthy. And second of all, if teams want to press the LOS and let this ridiculous collection of pass catches run in their secondary with the Heisman leader throwing it to them, well, good luck.

Advertisement
Samson is a redshirt freshman coming off a season ending injury, if he’s still struggling to develop at the end of his sophomore season Mario might cut ties. Francis is a freak of nature, Penei Sewell type. I know they both had the 5 star label next to them but losing a year of development is still a big deal

rarely talking to anyone during the game. standing alone.
specifically seen him talking with Nico Francilla or however u spell it and a few other ol after they got in last game on the sideline.

Yea im not looking much into that considering he has played a solid amount of snaps so far this year as a back up..50+ so far.

I didnt sense malcontent but maybe you pay attention to him a bit more than i do. Keep tracking it though. I usually scan the sidelines alot ive notice others more so than i have him.

Advertisement
In the preseason, our quarterback literally said “pick your poison”.

Teams are picking. And they’re being poisoned to the point where our quarterback literally has the shortest odds in the entire country to win the most prestigious award that has ever existed in the sport.

It’s not a bad thread. We should be getting more push in the run game. But first of all, we have to get healthy. And second of all, if teams want to press the LOS and let this ridiculous collection of pass catches run in their secondary with the Heisman leader throwing it to them, well, good luck.
This. I have some concerns about our run game with the current OL. Each game gets harder leading up to Louisville so let’s hope we get the guys back and gelling.

Advertisement
i am not an insider and have no knowledge. HOWEVER, i sit directly behind the OL bench and Okonlola is not engaged with anyone his entire time on the field. he stands in between benches or behind the OL bench. no energy, no interest, no engagement.

i think that says a lot about where he is at within the program.
I can only speak to what I know and that's the high school league Samson came from because I played in it. He played at Thayer Academy which is in the ISL. It's known more for hockey and sending smart Asians to Harvard. Massachusetts football just aint it. Massachusetts private school football REALLY aint it. I'm talking 190 lb noseguards in the ISL. The mental leap from Mass private school small ball to D-1, let alone Miami is just giant. Also, it's night and day in terms of the types of guys he's interacting with. Nothing against him as a person or an athlete. He's a legit physical specimen. But I always thought it was going to be a huge adjustment for him culturally and mentally coming from Thayer Academy.

Advertisement
Back