AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy

Let me know the next time Pete Carroll regularly has DE's regularly matched up against wide receivers and running backs.

First vid I found has DL in coverage matched up against WR's and RB's. How many times do you think they did this throughout the season?

0:29
2:24

[video=youtube;SPOTNYLqJxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPOTNYLqJxA[/video]

Good find.. And to think that Seattle's defense Carrolls first 2 years were among the leagues worst.. Hmm wonder why?
ANd that's with having the ability to acquire players to fit their system faster than what you can in college.

Advertisement
Golden is not qualified to run his own system. He needs a new defensive coordinator who knows what he's doing and give him full autonomy.

All we needed was talent at NT. That is the key to Goldens defense. Just wait and see. This defense is going to look like an owls defense finally.

you defend F-A-G at every turn. explain to me the defensive results from 2010 - 2013 (shannon's last year to current).

they are astronomically awful. i want to see you spin that as purely a personnel problem

Agreed....I'm effin tired of hearing about the cloud. YOU ARE CERTAINLY DUMB if you don't think that there was a cloud BEFORE Golden got there. Those allegations were known beforehand, which is why Florida and Florida State were out recruiting us. Those recruits hear things on the circuit. So after saying all that, how did Shannon field a better defense than Golden?

The thing is the 3-4 works. Most of the really good defenses on the college and professional level use it. In college, Alabama, LSU, FSU, just to name a few use it. In the NFL the top 4 that come to mind, SF, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore use it. The idea works. I think we just play way too passive. Lining up 7-10 yds off the WRs is retarded. Undisguised blitzes are retarded. We show our hand and the other team knows exactly what we are doing.

***** walking a safety down and having him blitz with soft coverage. I think we need to bring our safeties down and play press. Sometimes the safety blitzes and sometimes they back off in coverage.

We have the talent to run it NOW.

We need to let the DL play not just take up space and occupy an OL.

FSU ditched the 3-4, bc the defensive coordinator concluded that it was ineffectual w/ their personnel.

I wish our staff would consider the same adjustment.

Advertisement
Let me know the next time Pete Carroll regularly has DE's regularly matched up against wide receivers and running backs.

First vid I found has DL in coverage matched up against WR's and RB's. How many times do you think they did this throughout the season?

Good find.. And to think that Seattle's defense Carrolls first 2 years were among the leagues worst.. Hmm wonder why?
ANd that's with having the ability to acquire players to fit their system faster than what you can in college.

More lies from KlanAlmighty. PC's Seahawks were 7th in points and 9th in yards his second year. Far from the "league's worst." Secondly, PC had an elite team by his second year at USC. Golden can't even field a top 60 defense.

Seattle does not play a 3-4. They're a 4-3 team with that plays DE DT DT DT and a LEO giving a 5 man front.

The thing is the 3-4 works. Most of the really good defenses on the college and professional level use it. In college, Alabama, LSU, FSU, just to name a few use it. In the NFL the top 4 that come to mind, SF, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore use it. The idea works. I think we just play way too passive. Lining up 7-10 yds off the WRs is retarded. Undisguised blitzes are retarded. We show our hand and the other team knows exactly what we are doing.

***** walking a safety down and having him blitz with soft coverage. I think we need to bring our safeties down and play press. Sometimes the safety blitzes and sometimes they back off in coverage.

Seattle plays a hybrid defense...as do we.

Just because an NFL team does it, doesn't mean we can. Who cares what Seattle is doing?

Are you just trying to pick a fight brah?

Advertisement
All we needed was talent at NT. That is the key to Goldens defense. Just wait and see. This defense is going to look like an owls defense finally.

So is Kieth a tyrant Bostwick or Valentine suiting up? We should be great this year, we relying on two 1st year DTs. It's the weakest spot in our D besides LB, all ums great teams were strong in those two areas. This will not be a good d this year.

More lies from KlanAlmighty. PC's Seahawks were 7th in points and 9th in yards his second year. Far from the "league's worst." Secondly, PC had an elite team by his second year at USC. Golden can't even field a top 60 defense.

PC talk aside for a moment.

Wasn't 2011 D ranked 34th? I mean, if we are talking about facts/lies right? IJS

PC talk aside for a moment.

Wasn't 2011 D ranked 34th? I mean, if we are talking about facts/lies right? IJS

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to Golden's second year at Miami (compared to Carroll's at USC).

running a zone blitz =/= lining a DE split wide on a slot WR

Advertisement

LSU runs a 4-3, FSU ran a 4-2-5, seattle runs a 4-3. I like your effort tho, don't let facts get in the way of it

LSU runs a 4-3, FSU ran a 4-2-5, seattle runs a 4-3. I like your effort tho, don't let facts get in the way of it

I don't sit on the internet and look all this **** up daily but within the last couple seasons all those teams I mentioned ran 3-4 defenses to include numerous other top notch programs. Stanford is another team. Bottom line, the standard philosophy works. However, how teams choose to utilize it and how they decide to cover the outside and utilize their blitzes are the difference. A more aggresive variation would work.

Personally I would rather go back to a more attacking 4-3 or a 4-2-5 like TCU uses, but if we were to implement a far better version of the 3-4 I wouldn't hate it.

Bama says they run a 34, but they mainly run the 43. Saban even said in an article somewhere that he tell recruits they are primarily 34 because it is more appealing for the DE's they want to tell them they could be playing 34 olb instead of 43 de, which is much more appealing...

Advertisement

I don't sit on the internet and look all this **** up daily but within the last couple seasons all those teams I mentioned ran 3-4 defenses to include numerous other top notch programs. Stanford is another team. Bottom line, the standard philosophy works. However, how teams choose to utilize it and how they decide to cover the outside and utilize their blitzes are the difference. A more aggresive variation would work.

Personally I would rather go back to a more attacking 4-3 or a 4-2-5 like TCU uses, but if we were to implement a far better version of the 3-4 I wouldn't hate it.

Also the best Defense in College football last year, IMO, ran the "Miami Defense". Michigan St ran a very similar 43 attacking defense that Jimmy Johnson used to run, I think the 43 slide or over...

Bama says they run a 34, but they mainly run the 43. Saban even said in an article somewhere that he tell recruits they are primarily 34 because it is more appealing for the DE's they want to tell them they could be playing 34 olb instead of 43 de, which is much more appealing...
Here ya go:

Nick Saban said:
“We probably play 80 percent 4-3,” Coach Nick Saban acknowledged in December.
Nick Saban said:
“But we're playing against so much three and four wideouts all the time, we're in nickel or dime. That's where the 3-4 defense is not really our base defense. You can pass rush better out of some kind of even front or flex front.”
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/01/nick_saban_says_hes_still_comm.html

Nick Saban recognizes the need to adjust when the other teams go nickel and dime. We stay in our base and cover their 3rd and 4th guy with DL. But yeah, Al Golden's defense is so much like Nick Saban's

Last edited:

Here ya go:

Nick Saban said:
Nick Saban said:
“But we're playing against so much three and four wideouts all the time, we're in nickel or dime. That's where the 3-4 defense is not really our base defense. You can pass rush better out of some kind of even front or flex front.”
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/01/nick_saban_says_hes_still_comm.html

Nick Saban recognizes the need to adjust when the other teams go nickel and dime. We stay in our base and cover their 3rd and 4th guy with DL. But yeah, Al Golden's defense is so much like Nick Saban's

they used to be similar but these past couple of seasons he (saban) started to play more 4-3 and nickel to, as he said, adapt to the 3-4 receivers sets, which we rarely do (my other knock on the D), im hoping we play more nickel in 3-4 receiver sets in early down situations this year, last year we seemed to only play nickel when it was obvious passing downs

Here ya go:

Nick Saban said:
Nick Saban said:

they used to be similar but these past couple of seasons he (saban) started to play more 4-3 and nickel to, as he said, adapt to the 3-4 receivers sets, which we rarely do (my other knock on the D), im hoping we play more nickel in 3-4 receiver sets in early down situations this year, last year we seemed to only play nickel when it was obvious passing downs

Why couldn't Bama just recruit better players? I've been told players are to blame when this system doesn't work. Saban and these crazy adjustments.

Advertisement
Back