AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy

who gives a **** what he has to say, until he starts stopping somebody it means ****. TIRED OF THE **** EXCUSES, either get it done or get out

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can someone explain to me why we continued to 2 gap against Wake Forest when they spread their lineman wide. Our Dline were practically being invited to sack the QB and yet there they were 2 gapping part of the empty space in front of them. Anyone know what golden and Dorito were thinking or their reasoning for that?

You sound like you have a lot coaching experience. It will difficult for anyone here to answer such an in depth question about that one play in that one game from last season.

Any chance you can ask about that at the next clinic you attend?

Seriously one play? Did you watch that game. They did it a lot in the first half.

Can someone explain to me why we continued to 2 gap against Wake Forest when they spread their lineman wide. Our Dline were practically being invited to sack the QB and yet there they were 2 gapping part of the empty space in front of them. Anyone know what golden and Dorito were thinking or their reasoning for that?

You sound like you have a lot coaching experience. It will difficult for anyone here to answer such an in depth question about that one play in that one game from last season.

Seriously one play? Did you watch that game. They did it a lot in the first half.

He must have been drunk all game.That game was so disturbing not only us not attacking the gaps but also letting WF convert 3rd downa fter 3rd dwn,they had a drive that took close to 10 minutes.

Two plays? Three plays? Were any of them unsuccessful at all? Ehh, we know the first half was bad. Luckily, adjustments were made in that game and the second half was far better. The adjustments helped us get that W.

Two plays? Three plays? Were any of them unsuccessful at all? Ehh, we know the first half was bad. Luckily, adjustments were made in that game and the second half was far better. The adjustments helped us get that W.

That's the problem. The adjustments to something like that should have been made quickly. It might as well be a trick play, good enough to throw someone off once or twice, but you better be ready the next time it comes.

Why is it we have to wait until halftime to adjust to something like that? Is there no such thing as an in game adjustment? Are we supposed to wait until we are down 2-3 scores everytime, because we had to wait for halftime adjustments to something like that? I can understand when its something where we are struggling to identify the issue and need some more time, but the issue was obvious. That is what these guys get paid for, not to sit back and keep watching something not work before making adjustments. If this was someone just a little better than WF, we would have been smoked.

Advertisement

That's the problem. The adjustments to something like that should have been made quickly. It might as well be a trick play, good enough to throw someone off once or twice, but you better be ready the next time it comes.

Why is it we have to wait until halftime to adjust to something like that? Is there no such thing as an in game adjustment? Are we supposed to wait until we are down 2-3 scores everytime, because we had to wait for halftime adjustments to something like that? I can understand when its something where we are struggling to identify the issue and need some more time, but the issue was obvious. That is what these guys get paid for, not to sit back and keep watching something not work before making adjustments. If this was someone just a little better than WF, we would have been smoked.

The adjustment to something like that should have been made quickly? How many times did "something like that" happen again? Of those times, how many were successful plays?

On a side note: you see why it is so difficult for anyone to agree on anything. One guy can say "no adjustments are ever made, EVER!". You show them adjustments made. Next guy says "it took them until halftime to make adjustments?!?!". I can show you an adjustment made from one series to another. What is next dude gonna say? "It took them a whole series to make an adjustment!?!".

Cant wait for Sep 1st!

Last edited:

He had goldens **** in his eye and missed most of that game. No point in talking to a functional ****** like niner. He will defend golden to the bitter end like the good little ***** he is.

They spread their lineman wide multiple times. First time it happens it's a surprise and I understand, second time it happens you better be ready to adjust. Third time is sheer incompetence. Problem is that's d'onofrio's MO. We saw it in the Maryland game, in the UNC game, in the WF game, etc. Adjustments aren't made until halftime and for a coach at a big time program that's unacceptable.

The adjustment to something like that should have been made quickly? How many times did "something like that" happen again? Of those times, how many were successful plays?

On a side note: you see why it is so difficult for anyone to agree on anything. One guy can say "no adjustments are ever made, EVER!". You show them adjustments made. Next guy says "it took them until halftime to make adjustments?!?!". I can show you an adjustment made from one series to another. What is next dude gonna say? "It took them a whole series to make an adjustment!?!".

Cant wait for Sep 1st!

It was obviously very successful considering they worked us in the first half with long drives and conversions. Just because something doesn't get used every game does not mean it should take all game to figure it out. There are some things that are difficult to adjust too when it comes to personnel, but what is essentially a trick play (in the sense that it was meant to create confusion, because noone was used to it) in lining up wide as they did should not have taken double digit plays to figure it out.

You don't see the flea flicker, hook and ladder, or the statue of liberty every play, which are plays that catch teams off guard, because if it got run more than twice in a game, people would be watching for it. **** most teams have already got a plan for it after the first time.

You're talking about people have different statements. Well I'm not referring to what other people are stating about the adjustments. My statement is my own. My original statement was asking you if you watched that game, because you said they only did it once when that was not the case. It was multiple times. Furthermore, we don't even know if adjustments were made for it, because they weren't running it in the second half.

Either way, you can continue with the other guys. I just found it funny that you downplayed it to one play from one game and ignoring the facts that it was not just one play. If it was one play like previously mentioned trick plays, I wouldn't be commenting on our adjustments to it. If someone came out and ran hook and ladders repeatedly on us, then we should be making an adjustment and it should be coming by the next drive, not by halftime.

Advertisement
Not sure why folks are nit picking at the WF's OL wide stance since WF only got 59 rushing yards that game.
It's funny what these mopers decide to latch on to.

On the positive side, just think about the tremendous respect Jim Grobe had for Al and D to bust out an entirely new offensive plan for that game. They knew full well they were going to have to try to trick us up in order to compete. Too bad for them the clock struck midnight at halftime.

Whats disturbing it takes to half time to make adjustment? Why? This tells me our D cord blows and is way out of his depth.

Advertisement

Cant wait for Sep 1st!

It was obviously very successful considering they worked us in the first half with long drives and conversions. Just because something doesn't get used every game does not mean it should take all game to figure it out. There are some things that are difficult to adjust too when it comes to personnel, but what is essentially a trick play (in the sense that it was meant to create confusion, because noone was used to it) in lining up wide as they did should not have taken double digit plays to figure it out.

You don't see the flea flicker, hook and ladder, or the statue of liberty every play, which are plays that catch teams off guard, because if it got run more than twice in a game, people would be watching for it. **** most teams have already got a plan for it after the first time.

You're talking about people have different statements. Well I'm not referring to what other people are stating about the adjustments. My statement is my own. My original statement was asking you if you watched that game, because you said they only did it once when that was not the case. It was multiple times. Furthermore, we don't even know if adjustments were made for it, because they weren't running it in the second half.

Either way, you can continue with the other guys. I just found it funny that you downplayed it to one play from one game and ignoring the facts that it was not just one play. If it was one play like previously mentioned trick plays, I wouldn't be commenting on our adjustments to it. If someone came out and ran hook and ladders repeatedly on us, then we should be making an adjustment and it should be coming by the next drive, not by halftime.

It's not that difficult. I asked if it was one play, you say it was more. I asked how many and you still haven't answered. just a random "many" times. Why do I ask how many times? Because some like to exaggerate the truth and have said things "never" happen or "always" happen, but hey really don't.

Cant wait for Sep 1st!

You just validated the real point which is the D sucks all together and they need to work with what they got not with what need to get

Not sure why folks are nit picking at the WF's OL wide stance since WF only got 59 rushing yards that game.
Because it shows a lack of adjustment which is what we are discussing. We also allowed their QB over 300 yards passing that game and they were up 14-10 going into the half.

Advertisement
Because it shows a lack of adjustment which is what we are discussing. We also allowed their QB over 300 yards passing that game and they were up 14-10 going into the half.

I think what you are saying is that big picture, their offense was dictating the action. I think that's where the "read and react" is manifested on the field. It doesn't seem like offenses ever adjust to what we are doing on defense. We seem to be always playing catch up to what they are doing--not a great position to be in.

In other words, we don't make offenses uncomfortable--rarely anyway.

Can we just wait and see what happens this year? This has got be the year of no more excuses. Nobody expects a top 20 defense, but we **** well better be in the top 50. When our ability to execute our defense (3/4) comes down to kids who have not played a down, I get wary. Lets drink the coolaid and say Wyche is the real deal, and Hertelou and Jenkins are legit. Then we start to have a defense that can push you around. Love the idea of Perryman and Kirby inside In the 3/4. Think Pierre and chick are really 3/4 DEs. All comes down to the NT. Do we have one or two now?

Can we just wait and see what happens this year? This has got be the year of no more excuses. Nobody expects a top 20 defense, but we **** well better be in the top 50. When our ability to execute our defense (3/4) comes down to kids who have not played a down, I get wary. Lets drink the coolaid and say Wyche is the real deal, and Hertelou and Jenkins are legit. Then we start to have a defense that can push you around. Love the idea of Perryman and Kirby inside In the 3/4. Think Pierre and chick are really 3/4 DEs. All comes down to the NT. Do we have one or two now?

You put Vince ******* Wilfork on our defense last year and we still would get railroaded in many regards. Until all 11 guys on the field, know their role, play with confidence, are aggressive, beat the man across from them…it will be a struggle.

That could very well happen this year. I sincerely hope that it does. If it doesn't, time for a change.

Actually many of us are expecting a top 20-25 defense and it's NOT HARD at all for us to get there even with this scheme. It starts with the offense making a commitment to bring a ball control time of possession team so that the defense doesn't start ok and then get worn out over the course of the game cause the offense went 3 and out repeatedly. An emphasis on running the ball and throwing short, high percentage Dropback routes with playaction being the way big plays are generated. There will be a lot of run on first down. Instead of holding the ball 25 mins a game, you get that average up to 32.

That extra six minutes of time the D is not on the field is probably worth 50 yards of defense and maybe 5 points. Then you add some better talent in the front then we are used to and a good secondary, which should shave another 30-40 yards off the totals. So it's not still all hard to shed an extra 80 yards of yards yielded a game from out totals. If we are giving up 360 instead of 430 a game, that's a good defense. FIU and geo posted about this already.

The defense's ability to attack and play fresh is in part dependent on our offenses ability not to hang them out to dry.

Bowl game proved this. D actually was doing its job in the first half. You add Morris going three and out all the time and a bunch more offensive possessions for UL and they got worn down having to defend so much until the dam broke.

Advertisement
Back