AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy

I like golden but the defense must be hard as **** to explain because the players haven't picked it up in 3 years.

Best career move golden could make is to fire coach D. Bring in a Goodling d coordinator that runs a 4-3 and let these southern savages attack.

Advertisement
What REALLY kills me is how he loves to say how the 3-4 allows him to get more speed on the field. Well, there's a little thing called math that disproves this entirely.

Earlier today there was a thread made of recent weight room numbers; I've applied those 40 times and created an average for two starting front 7's (the back end is irrelevant in 3-4 v/ 4-3).

3-4 lineup:

DE Chick 4.91
NT Wyche 5.0 (listed from last year)
DE Pierre 5.23
OLB AQM 4.78
OLB McCord 4.66
ILB DP: 4.71
ILB Kirby: 4.64

Average: 4.8

4-3 lineup

DE AQM 4.78
DT Wyche 5.0
DT Chick 4.91
DE McCord 4.66
SAM Grace 4.49
MIKE DP 4.71
WILL Kirby 4.64

Average: 4.7

And imagine if guys like DP were asked not to blow up so they can play head on versus guards, but to trim down and focus on speed so they can spill sideline to sideline? That would create even more on field speed.

The traditional 3-4 (as our base defense is) allows for 3 things over the 4-3: greater coverage flexibility, more blitz permutations, (both of which require a much more complex understanding of complicated concepts that as we know are not even remotely approached by HS football in our area) and more power up front. In other words mental and physical elements that are completely contrary to those of the typical south florida football player.

Too many busted assignments for any defense to work. Philosophy and scheme are meaningless without execution. It's going to continue to get better and better with the infusion of more talent and more of Al's recruits replacing Shannon's slugs.
Sorry to burst your bubble but all of Shannon players are gone from the starting defense. Dont even know if there are any left period. Its Golden defense and his players. Funny the team played better when it was all Shannon players. Whose fault is it they are not executing. Let me guess. ..Shannon?

There were plenty of Shannon slugs on that defense last year, and, not coincidentally, there were all the worst players busting the most assignments and giving up the biggest plays. This year's defense will be significantly better due to the talent and smarts upgrade with Al's guys all over the field swooping in on opposing ball carriers like a rabid ibis.

Go look at the games. Tell me how many big plays were the result of busts especially by guys like Highsmith and Rodgers.

Exactly. Can you blame Al for Deon Bush's appendix rupturing? If Deon was available last year, we have a completely different defense.

So our D would look completely different had Bush stayed healthy? Hmm. Whenever has a DB ever impacted a Defense like that? I would understand if it were a Warren Sapp, a dominant player in a vital position, but Bush? Smh.

Let me know the next time Pete Carroll regularly has DE's regularly matched up against wide receivers and running backs.

First vid I found has DL in coverage matched up against WR's and RB's. How many times do you think they did this throughout the season?

0:29
2:24

[video=youtube;SPOTNYLqJxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPOTNYLqJxA[/video]

Advertisement
Let me know the next time Pete Carroll regularly has DE's regularly matched up against wide receivers and running backs.

First vid I found has DL in coverage matched up against WR's and RB's. How many times do you think they did this throughout the season?

hey smart guy. go look at the defensive stats under F-A-G that i posted and give me your definition of ******. i want a clear definition of ******

hey smart guy. go look at the defensive stats under F-A-G that i posted and give me your definition of ******. i want a clear definition of ******

buddy said something that I found not to be fact.why are you so upset?

geezus

crossover22[]_[];1914723 said:
Best career move golden could make is to fire coach D. Bring in a Goodling d coordinator that runs a 4-3 and let these southern savages attack.

There is zero chance Golden brings in a new Coordinator that brings a new defensive philosophy. We're running his defense. If we implement a new system, what does he provide value-wise as a Corch besides core values and hashtags? Nothing. As long as he's the Head Corch, we're riding with his defense and Corch D.

you defend F-A-G at every turn. explain to me the defensive results from 2010 - 2013 (shannon's last year to current).

they are astronomically awful. i want to see you spin that as purely a personnel problem

Advertisement

There is zero chance Golden brings in a new Coordinator that brings a new defensive philosophy. We're running his defense. If we implement a new system, what does he provide value-wise as a Corch besides core values and hashtags? Nothing. As long as he's the Head Corch, we're riding with his defense and Corch D.

yep. and thats why he needs to go NOW NOW NOW. should have been fired after the UL game

you defend F-A-G at every turn. explain to me the defensive results from 2010 - 2013 (shannon's last year to current).

they are astronomically awful. i want to see you spin that as purely a personnel problem

that has already been discussed by all countless times. I am personally bored with it already.

I don't understand why you are so upset by my response to another porster about Seatle though, that's a little weird.

that has already been discussed by all countless times. I am personally bored with it already.

I don't understand why you are so upset by my response to another porster about Seatle though, that's a little weird.

I understand that you are extremely slow and dense. so i will explain:

you thought you were being cute insisting that i define "regularly". well I did. now i am asking you to define "******" in the face of objective data (defensive results from 2010 - 2013)

you thought you were being cute insisting that i define "regularly". well I did. now i am asking you to define "******" in the face of objective data (defensive results from 2010 - 2013)

I asked buddy a question and you jumped in with a comment all upset. I simply asked what "regularly" meant and you are blowing a gasket.

When someone jumps in a conversation, at least discuss the topic at hand (ie Seattle DL in coverage) , it's not all about you. geezes.

Calm Down and Cane on

Advertisement
you guys are way too negative for me....I am leaving this thread never to return. I spray myself with positivity juice errrday!

I asked buddy a question and you jumped in with a comment all upset. I simply asked what "regularly" meant and you are blowing a gasket.

When someone jumps in a conversation, at least discuss the topic at hand (ie Seattle DL in coverage) , it's not all about you. geezes.

Calm Down and Cane on

not surprising that you confuse providing factual evidence with being upset. I'm only upset with this staff and admin for allowing and accepting such pathetic results.

I am shocked also with some on this board, like you, who are too dumb to see that the results fall squarely in the lap of one Fat Al Golden and there is NO HOPE until he is gone.

448.jpg

Advertisement

He wont bring in somebody that runs a vastly different scheme. That being said, I think it would do a ton of good for him to bring in somebody who believes in the same general idea but more aggressive. We dont need to totally scrap the defense, rather tweak it to be more fitting and efficient for the players Miami has and will get.

Calm Down and Cane on

not surprising that you confuse providing factual evidence with being upset. I'm only upset with this staff and admin for allowing and accepting such pathetic results.

I am shocked also with some on this board, like you, who are too dumb to see that the results fall squarely in the lap of one Fat Al Golden and there is NO HOPE until he is gone.

C'mon bro, no need for name calling, you are better than that.

Why would you be so upset when someone makes a claim about what another team does, I ask a question, you jump in, and are now upset because I don't want to talk about a topic that has been discussed a gazillion times? It's easy to see you are upset with your coach, I get it.

At this point, Golden will be your coach this year, that's not changing, no sense in getting so worked up.

Calm down and Cane on

Too many busted assignments for any defense to work. Philosophy and scheme are meaningless without execution. It's going to continue to get better and better with the infusion of more talent and more of Al's recruits replacing Shannon's slugs.
Sorry to burst your bubble but all of Shannon players are gone from the starting defense. Dont even know if there are any left period. Its Golden defense and his players. Funny the team played better when it was all Shannon players. Whose fault is it they are not executing. Let me guess. ..Shannon?

There were plenty of Shannon slugs on that defense last year, and, not coincidentally, there were all the worst players busting the most assignments and giving up the biggest plays. This year's defense will be significantly better due to the talent and smarts upgrade with Al's guys all over the field swooping in on opposing ball carriers like a rabid ibis.

Go look at the games. Tell me how many big plays were the result of busts especially by guys like Highsmith and Rodgers.

Exactly. Can you blame Al for Deon Bush's appendix rupturing? If Deon was available last year, we have a completely different defense.

So our D would look completely different had Bush stayed healthy? Hmm. Whenever has a DB ever impacted a Defense like that? I would understand if it were a Warren Sapp, a dominant player in a vital position, but Bush? Smh.

The defense was markedly better when Bush was healthy as a freshmans than it was when he wasn't healthy. Stands to reason he would have helped even more as a healthy more veteran sophomore.

buddy said something that I found not to be fact.why are you so upset?

geezus

No, you didn't. Having a DT drop back into zone is not the same as having Shayon Greene literally split out matched up man to man against a WR.

Advertisement
Back