2025 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
So can we get a summary of how this portal class is playing out so far?
We improved or worse after the gains/losses?

Advertisement
So can we get a summary of how this portal class is playing out so far?
We improved or worse after the gains/losses?
As of right now if you do a side by side of what we've lost and what we've added

We are a significantly worse team imo.

Obviously we're not done adding, but man I'm hoping we have some aces in the hole.

As of right now if you do a side by side of what we've lost and what we've added

We are a significantly worse team imo.

Obviously we're not done adding, but man I'm hoping we have some aces in the hole.
If there aren't, I don't want to hear any excuses. One of the advantages of a crappy season in the portal era, is that we had a 2 - 3 week head start on the Top 16 teams.

Need this to happen for us with 1-2 upper tier recruits.

1718661002957.png

Advertisement
Those in the know. Are any of our catcher commits/signees good enough to play as freshmen?

Those in the know. Are any of our catcher commits/signees good enough to play as freshmen?
The catching position has been a concern of mine the last two years.
We have two Catchers coming in August. I'm not sure how good they are projected to be? There is a 2025 Catcher from Miami Springs that is committed to Ole Miss. I do know that he is very good. Those are the guys that we cannot miss out on.
That being said, I have to believe it's a priority for the staff. Over pay, promise a starting spot for a top notch, middle of the order guy.
Brady Neal from LSU entered the portal today. He prepped at IMG and is from Tallahassee. Stats look good.
GET ON THE PHONE AND GET IT DONE!

Advertisement
Eligibility remaining and not draft eligible (8)
SS Antonio Jimenez
3B Daniel Cuvet
OF Jake Kulikowski
RHP Julian Hernandez
RHP Jordan Vargas
RHP Alex Stanyek
RHP Nick Robert
RHP Brandon Olivera

Eligibility remaining and draft eligible (10)
2B Dorian Gonzalez
OF Edgardo Villegas
OF/1B Renzo Gonzalez
OF Gaby Gutierrez
RHP Brian Walters (RS-So)
RHP Slaide Naturman
RHP Gage Ziehl*
LHP Herick Hernandez
LHP Rafe Schlesinger*
LHP Myles Caba (RS-So)

No eligibility remaining or honored on Senior Night (6)
C Jack Scanlon
C Carlos Perez
OF Jacoby Long
OF Lucas Costello
RHP Ben Chestnutt
RHP Drew Dwyer*

Commits (22 per PG)
C Evan Tavares
C Nolan Johnson
SS Adrian Areizaga
SS Ronny Cruz
SS Amaury De Jesus
3B Ethan Puig
OF Fabio Peralta
OF Michael Torres
OF Cristian De Los Santos
OF Bailan Caraballo
OF Elijah Hurt
OF Alex Kuenzle
RHP Lazaro Collera*
RHP Tate DeRias
RHP James Kleivan
RHP AJ Ciscar
RHP Edgar Colon Vicente
RHP Mekai Griffin
LHP David Shields*
LHP Johnny King*
LHP Ryan Ashford
LHP Michael Fernandez

Lost to Draft
TBD

Transfer Out (11)
C AJ Goytia
1B Jason Torres
2B Blake Cyr
SS JD Urso
3B Eric Fernandez
OF Luca Reyes
OF Lorenzo Carrier (RS-So)
LHP Ashton Crowther
LHP Chris Scinta
LHP JT Caruso
RHP Chris Diaz

Transfer In (8)
OF Derek Williams
OF Bobby Marsh
OF/RHP Todd Hudson
LHP Robert Evans
RHP Will Smith
RHP Griffin Hugus
RHP Carson Fisher
RHP Reese Lumpkin
Seems like we're already into the mid to high 30's for a roster, assuming that 18 or so of the 22 recruits are on the spring roster. I sure hope they're not done, because as others have mentioned, we still need a couple of weekend SPs (can't wait on '24 MLB draft losses since the draft happens too late), a C and probably another bat.

You think we'd carry the new roster size of 40 or make more cuts from the returning players?

Seems like we're already into the mid to high 30's for a roster, assuming that 18 or so of the 22 recruits are on the spring roster. I sure hope they're not done, because as others have mentioned, we still need a couple of weekend SPs (can't wait on '24 MLB draft losses since the draft happens too late), a C and probably another bat.

You think we'd carry the new roster size of 40 or make more cuts from the returning players?
Have to think we'll see more outgoing either from the recruiting class or returners, because that's a lot of outfielders right now even if a couple guys move around to 1B or some other position.

We still have not replaced Cyr and Torres level players... but there is time... ticking, ticking, ticking...
Williams might be a Torres level replacement but we definitely haven’t found a Cyr replacement. We haven’t found anyone to replace Scanlon’s production and I’m not sure Marsh replaces Villegas (if he leaves) or even Carrier. Who replaces Long’s underrated hitting and his elite centerfield defense?

It looks like other than DH’ing Marsh, Hudson and Williams all primarily played LF. What is our defense going to look like in the OF if 2 or even 3 of them have to be in the same OF?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Taveras switch hits and I think he’s a lot better lefty than righty. HS switch hitters often struggle when they move up to college and/or transition to only hitting from one side like Jimenez this past year. Good tools as a catcher behind the plate but i don’t think he’s ready to command a staff yet. Maybe he could be a solid 2nd catcher.

Don’t know a lot about Nolan Johnson. Plays at a good program in California and good competition and had great stats. Lanky 6’5 catcher. Looks like he has a cannon but being that tall he’s pretty clunky and slowish pop time as a result.

I think Taveras would be the better option defensively year 1 and Johnson probably transitions to college level at the plate a lot quicker.

That being said.. catcher is a huge concern for me. Need a stud from the portal, at least defensively, and a 2nd guy that has played some at the college level imo. Let the freshmen develop and play sparingly.

Williams might be a Torres level replacement but we definitely haven’t found a Cyr replacement. We haven’t found anyone to replace Scanlon’s production and I’m not sure Marsh replaces Villegas (if he leaves) or even Carrier. Who replaces Long’s underrated hitting and his elite centerfield defense?

It looks like other than DH’ing Marsh, Hudson and Williams all primarily played LF. What is our defense going to look like in the OF if 2 or even 3 of them have to be in the same OF?
We haven’t even found a Jacoby Long replacement…. And I don’t think we will. The program is a flaming dumpster fire

Advertisement
Back