2025 Roster Discussion

I like Dorian. He had a solid season. Just pointing out that a school with alumni from dozens of countries and all 50 states is heavily influenced by a very specific cartel of locals from Jesuit schools.

Belen is a Jesuit school
Columbus is a Marist school.
Not sure who the third “local” school member is in your Christian Cartel.

Notwithstanding the above, if Arteaga’s preference for Dorian caused Cyr to leave, then that’s the nail in the coffin for me.

Advertisement
You don't see jimenez in the plans for next yr? He looked like he was starting to turn the corner in the acc tourney. I think he slots in at a starting spot if he continues to grow this offseason
Yes, he came in the last three weeks. I just can't see going into next season with .170 and below average fielding at such an important position. How did we not recruit his teammate Lebron?
Put him in summer ball and see what happens? If Dorian goes in the draft, put him at 2nd? I just can't see him being a big part of the team next season, especially if we get a top notch SS in the portal.

Belen is a Jesuit school
Columbus is a Marist school.
Not sure who the third “local” school member is in your Christian Cartel.

Notwithstanding the above, if Arteaga’s preference for Dorian caused Cyr to leave, then that’s the nail in the coffin for me.
Assuming Westminister christian is the 3rd in reference

Advertisement
This program reminds me of that scene from Wayne's World when they're going into the club to watch some bands, and they bump into the bouncer, Tiny (played by Meatloaf):

Replace "Sh1tty Beetles" with "Miami Hurricanes Baseball" and it's seamless.

Would like to get the pulse of fanbase now that we’re almost a month removed from season ending. Are we approaching full blown panic mode yet or what? Seems to me we probably should be nearing that point

Would like to get the pulse of fanbase now that we’re almost a month removed from season ending. Are we approaching full blown panic mode yet or what? Seems to me we probably should be nearing that point
Wouldn’t say panic, but I certainly don’t have tournament aspirations.

Not sure how one would competently argue we are better today than end of season, but lots of offseason left.

Get Cowan and a true bat and see where we are at on money.

Advertisement
Wouldn’t say panic, but I certainly don’t have tournament aspirations.

Not sure how one would competently argue we are better today than end of season, but lots of offseason left.

Get Cowan and a true bat and see where we are at on money.
I for the life of me can’t see a portal world at the university of miami where we replace the talent of guys like Cyr, Torres, Gage, and Rafe…. I’m not even convinced we can upgrade a JL type talent.

I for the life of me can’t see a portal world at the university of miami where we replace the talent of guys like Cyr, Torres, Gage, and Rafe…. I’m not even convinced we can upgrade a JL type talent.
Torres was a mirage propped up by a hot non-con. He should be fairly easy to upgrade. At least how I see it.

Cyr is a stick only, who wants to be a 2B’man. He gives a lot of his value back with the glove and on the bases. We will miss the bat.

Gage was a dude. Cowan would be similar I believe.

Rafe had some strong moments and is a loss. That said, his actual production was simply solid rather than great. There is a world where we find or develop a Saturday guy to give similar results.

There is no pulse. Only living things have pulses.

I am fully in the “if I didn’t have kids who watched the sport I’d never turn on a game” camp.

Torres was a mirage propped up by a hot non-con. He should be fairly easy to upgrade. At least how I see it.

Cyr is a stick only, who wants to be a 2B’man. He gives a lot of his value back with the glove and on the bases. We will miss the bat.

Gage was a dude. Cowan would be similar I believe.

Rafe had some strong moments and is a loss. That said, his actual production was simply solid rather than great. There is a world where we find or develop a Saturday guy to give similar results.
I think you are low on Cyr, he has an excellent bat and is Top 50-75 mlb prospect that’s hard to replace.

Rafe is part of a long line of pitchers who stayed the same and never really improved from his freshman year.

Advertisement
Not going to pretend to know who is available and who isn’t and if we’ve already missed the boat. There is time and 7 teams just went out this weekend with more to come Buttttttt at this point the results are meh to me. we need some splash.

Also dont want to leave a lot of development up to this program right now. Our HC who was the pitching corch wasted Rosario’s apparent talent. He clearly had stuff based on what he’s doing in the low minors and all the scouts that were around last year but we didn’t harness any of it. so bring me guys who have produced.

Not going to pretend to know who is available and who isn’t and if we’ve already missed the boat. There is time and 7 teams just went out this weekend with more to come Buttttttt at this point the results are meh to me. we need some splash.

Also dont want to leave a lot of development up to this program right now. Our HC who was the pitching corch wasted Rosario’s apparent talent. He clearly had stuff based on what he’s doing in the low minors and all the scouts that were around last year but we didn’t harness any of it. so bring me guys who have produced.
wow i was not aware Rosario is dominating A ball. Never would i have guessed that bc he was trash here. Glad our coaches maximized his talent and will do the same to the 6+ era guys with high spin rates we have coming in.

Advertisement
I think you are low on Cyr, he has an excellent bat and is Top 50-75 mlb prospect that’s hard to replace.

Rafe is part of a long line of pitchers who stayed the same and never really improved from his freshman year.
Yeah, it's probably a tad low on him. He's had strong offensive numbers both seasons, but his underlying markers are good rather than elite.

One of the factors that sets him apart is how hard he hits the ball, which allows his offensive game to play up. His batting average on balls in play is consistently high, but that is somewhat driven by how hard he hits it, which obviously increases that metric. He has run HR/FB ratios well above expectations both seasons at 30.9% (impossible to maintain) and then 23.3% (another very high number).

Let's say that settles in to the upper teens, his K% stays similar to what it has been, and he settles in more around expectations on BABIP. That's a player that you expect to come in around 115-120 wRC+ (15-20% better than average). When you give back a lot of value on the bases and in the field, you are still a good player, but not All-American type.

Definitely a loss.

Yeah, it's probably a tad low on him. He's had strong offensive numbers both seasons, but his underlying markers are good rather than elite.

One of the factors that sets him apart is how hard he hits the ball, which allows his offensive game to play up. His batting average on balls in play is consistently high, but that is somewhat driven by how hard he hits it, which obviously increases that metric. He has run HR/FB ratios well above expectations both seasons at 30.9% (impossible to maintain) and then 23.3% (another very high number).

Let's say that settles in to the upper teens, his K% stays similar to what it has been, and he settles in more around expectations on BABIP. That's a player that you expect to come in around 115-120 wRC+ (15-20% better than average). When you give back a lot of value on the bases and in the field, you are still a good player, but not All-American type.

Definitely a loss.
Yeah I agree for sure, when he is your 2nd best position player and probably 2nd or 3rd overall on the roster (Ziehl might be #2) it’s a big loss for the team.

A bit off topic but this kid def should have enrolled.

https://www.milb.com/player/wooyeoul-shin-703813
Almost brought this up a few weeks ago. Went to a River Dogs game in Charleston, knew the name sounded familiar and looked him up and took me a few but I finally remembered he was committed at one point. Anyway, he was 0-4 with 3 K's that day and the BA on the scoreboard was like .208. Looks like it hasn't gotten any better for him. Looked rough at the plate. Fooled and swinging at everything.

On a side note.. that Charleston lineup is one of the worst I've ever seen in the minors. They're hitting like .210 as a team and 5-9 hitters probably wouldn't cut it at the plate at the mid-major college level

Advertisement
Back