10/30 Exhibition Game: IUP Crimson Hawks @ Miami Hurricanes, 2pm, ACCNX/ESPN+

Advertisement
Advertisement
A little surprising that with a deep roster, it seems like we will only have a 7 man rotation, at least judging by today’s exhibition game. I never expect L to rotate 10+ guys, but I thought we’d be a little deeper than 7 now that we finally have a full roster.

I was not able to watch, but was it a concern at all that Omier had 4 fouls in 20 minutes? I know he had an issue with foul trouble at Arkansas state.
I think we’ll see a little more depth than just 7 as the season progresses.

Once AJ Casey & Christian Watson get acclimated into the system I think they’ll play a little more than expected & that’s even with Coach Larra normally not using his TF’s too much. I just think the 2 of them will get minutes at some point during the season, but it could just be wishful thinking on my part lol.

I could definitely see Jovanovich & Aire getting some solid minutes against teams that have a bigger front court than us, those guys present solid Post presence & could help with rebounding & rim protection.

As far as Omier’s fouls, I think at least 3 of them were pretty ticky tack, I wouldn’t worry much about it until we play a we legit opponent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was at the game. What stood out the most to me was #15's physicality. He tries to tear the rim down on every dunk and is active on both offensive and defensive boards. #24 is smooth, can get his shot any time he wants, and is a threat to finish at the rim as well (had a couple of nice euro-step moves that he finished at the cup). #2 is still our go to guy and it looks like he's put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle since he got here (getting that body ready for the next level) Last thing, our boy Wooga shot way too many shots today, hopefully it was due to the fact that it was an exhibition. 7-15 is not bad, but he's gotta be way lower on the fga chart than the 3 players I mentioned along with #11
Agree with you on Wooga.

I don’t think the issue is the amount of shots, more so what kind of shots he’s taking & going 1-4 from 3 is not the ideal you want from a player like him.

He’s another one that you have to stress on him to attack the basket & get high % shots from the paint, instead of trying to fill it up from 3 too much. I think he’s being expected to kinda take on the role of McGusty, but what we need from him more than anything is perimeter Defense, aggressively crashing the boards & attack the basket on Offense.

Anything we get out of him as a shooter from midrange/3 point is a +, he just needs to understand smart shot selection is where he helps the team the most on Offense & doing all the intangible stuff on Defense.

Advertisement
I like what I saw from the team today. It looks like we're going to be primarily a seven-man rotation. Hopefully, Coach L can find some minutes for Aire, Jakai, and Beverly if he wants to expand to a 10-man rotation.
How much did Jakai play? If he isn't in the rotation at all, could see him possibly hitting the portal. I think L may use more than 7 this season.

How much did Jakai play? If he isn't in the rotation at all, could see him possibly hitting the portal. I think L may use more than 7 this season.
He played a little towards the end, he came in with the last rotation.

It’s D2 but IUP made the final 4 last year and basically returned their whole team. L finds unique teams to scrimmage to challenge them. That was a really experience team that is a Nc contender with D1 transfers. Kind of how they played Nova last year so they could see. The offense they run now.

I don’t remember a time where we went into a season with sweet16 type “legit” expectations.
The Bruce Brown/Lonnie Walker year, people had legit expectations that Miami would be a team challenging for the Elite 8, no one could have guessed that Lonnie and Bruce would take forever to get settled in and then Bruce would get hurt before the tournament. Miami ended up suffering a tough loss in the first round to Loyola-Chicago on a last second shot. That bracket ended up setting up perfectly for a run, and Loyola took full advantage.

Advertisement
We don't know much about the rotation after 1 exhibition. He may also be bringing some people along slowly because of previous injury issues(Beverly). Beverly isn't going to see a ton of minutes until late in the OOC slate going into the ACC Play, because he wants to have him available for games that matter. Robinson is young, but will get minutes as they come available.

We don't know much about the rotation after 1 exhibition. He may also be bringing some people along slowly because of previous injury issues(Beverly). Beverly isn't going to see a ton of minutes until late in the OOC slate going into the ACC Play, because he wants to have him available for games that matter. Robinson is young, but will get minutes as they come available.
Agree. It's just that Jakai was asked ti RS last season. So, if this turns out to be a second season of not playing much ...

It's a nice problem to have in that we've struggled to have depth. Now we do.

A little surprising that with a deep roster, it seems like we will only have a 7 man rotation, at least judging by today’s exhibition game. I never expect L to rotate 10+ guys, but I thought we’d be a little deeper than 7 now that we finally have a full roster.

I was not able to watch, but was it a concern at all that Omier had 4 fouls in 20 minutes? I know he had an issue with foul trouble at Arkansas state.
Yes, Norchad foul situation is going to be an issue at least early.

Aire had 4 points, 2 rebounds, a steal, and 3 blocks in just 3 minutes. He’s looked impressive in the practice clips I’ve seen, especially on defense. Does anyone think he can work his way into the rotation?

Advertisement
Back