'Canes @ Boston College - 9/1/12 - **GAME THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Take that gif of the baby girl getting kicked off of this board. That's WEZ crap. Keep it classy.

Hurricanes vs. BC: And the winner will be….

by Jorge Milian
I’ve covered every Miami game since 1995. But today’s opener against Boston College might be the most difficult to predict during that span.

Nearly half the players on the Hurricanes’ roster have never played a college football game before and many of those that have don’t own much of a track record. By my count, only four players – Brandon Linder, Mike James, Vaughn Telemaque and Brandon McGee — have started 10 or more games during their careers and there will be far more true freshmen playing key roles than seniors.

Former BC linebacker Luke Kuechly destroyed UM last season.

I think Miami’s offense will be okay, especially if Mike James is able to keep some of the heat off UM’s passing game by being productive in the rushing attack. The key to offensive success though will be quarterback Stephen Morris. If he plays well – translation: limited turnovers – there’s enough athletic talent on this side of the ball to keep the Hurricanes in every game. I, like everyone else, can’t wait to see freshman Duke Johnson play. I’ve been told that he will see action early and often this afternoon.

The real worry for UM fans are on defense, particularly in stopping the run. No offense, but the interior of UM’s defense shapes up to be more like the Maginot Line than the Steel Curtain. Most of the depth behind the starting front seven is extremely young. They will have to play plenty, especially early in the season when warm temperatures will be a factor. Youth on defense is not known to be a formula for success. In the secondary, safety Vaughn Telemaque and cornerback Brandon McGee will have to finally live up to their press clippings, giving youngsters like Tracy Howard, Deon Bush and company a chance to grow into their roles. Anthony Chickillo and Denzel Perryman will have to play like All-Americans or it could be a long season on defense.

Having said all that, I think Miami wins today. Boston College has its own personnel questions. Linebacker Luke Kuechly, who beat UM last season nearly single-handily, is gone to the NFL. The Eagles have also sustained a rash of injuries during the preseason that have cost them some of the team’s best offensive talent. BC is also on its third offensive coordinator in three seasons. That also is not a formula for success.

So here’s my prediction (keep in mind that when I make a prediction it’s usually best to take all your money and bet the other way):

UM 23, Boston College 16.

Advertisement
Chris Freet ‏@ChrisFreet
White tops. Orange pants RT @PutMeInCoach_MJ: which uniforms are we wearing today??

Take that gif of the baby girl getting kicked off of this board. That's WEZ crap. Keep it classy.

Happy now? Here, I'll post another one.

We Skate!

3.gif

Remember Fellas....lets not post any NSFW images in this thread. Thanks

Remember this is still the football board. Act accordingly.

Also if you didn't know, you have the option of turning off images in your settings.

Advertisement
Stationed in North Dakota for the time being, ABC is showing the Neb game and my ESPN 2 says To Be Announced. Someone calm me down and tell me it'll be on ESPN 2..

Advertisement
Im in nyc on vacation, what channel is it on? Espn and espn 2 are showing some other game. Abc has some health show til 1230. Wtf?

Well i just fcuked myself here by not paying attention. Thought it was a noon start, put my foot down on an engagement involving my girl and her firends and had it moved up. Now i have to sit here and watch penn state, and then miss the Miami game. Not my proudest moment.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back