Brandon McGee impressing at the Shrine Bowl

Advertisement
Exhibit A as far as optimism in regards to Golden and player development.

Each offseason Golden and co. have been pretty candid on who they expect more of. McGee, Henderson, Chick, even Howard. You can tell the coaches expect greatness from these guys by how hard they push them. It's nice to see a kid as talented as McGee finally buy in to how good he can be and hopefully get a nice payday out of it.

Advertisement
I sat next to his dad and sister? stepmom? on the plane ride to Kansas State this year. This is no surprise to them, they said that he had heard a lot of good things from NFL scouts already.
I think the lack of pass rush and soft coverages took him out of his element this year. He still was pretty solid and did his job most of the time, can't blame him if a backer or nickel guy blows their assignment.
I hope he continues to shine and lights it up at the combine. Still think he won't go any higher than a 3rd/4th round pick based on his college production.

Last edited:
Zero pass rush & Shannon Country Club were horrible for a guy like Brandon McGee. Pretty clear he needed someone all over him to get better and push him. Took dramatic leaps this last year and seemed to get tougher. Classic guy who I think would've been worth nothing as an NFL prospect had we not switched coaching staffs but now has a good shot.

Advertisement
the thing with Mcgee is that the kid NEVER reallyt played cb or db through his whole career. From the pop warner all through his sr year in high school he was a QB.

He was PROJECTED to cb because of his size and speed and hips...sort of like what were doing now with Winky Flowers. So his learning curve in my opinion was always expected to be for him to show as a JR.Well his development was stagnated by our coaching, and him just getting comfortable.

To be honest i thought he might have been our best player consistently on defense....his tape this yr must look real good for scouts...because i payed close attention to him and he was solid all year. Kid was really turned up....and confident from the start of the year to the end. Right now id say he's a day 3 pick....and thats before combine and workouts where im for certain he will shoot up,.

the thing with Mcgee is that the kid NEVER reallyt played cb or db through his whole career. From the pop warner all through his sr year in high school he was a QB.

He was PROJECTED to cb because of his size and speed and hips...sort of like what were doing now with Winky Flowers. So his learning curve in my opinion was always expected to be for him to show as a JR.Well his development was stagnated by our coaching, and him just getting comfortable.

To be honest i thought he might have been our best player consistently on defense....his tape this yr must look real good for scouts...because i payed close attention to him and he was solid all year. Kid was really turned up....and confident from the start of the year to the end. Right now id say he's a day 3 pick....and thats before combine and workouts where im for certain he will shoot up,.

Good stuff.

I remember one play this year against Kansas St. where he got off a block and made the tackle short of the goal line. They ended up kicking a FG. Last year, McGee would've watched that guy walk into the end zone.

Good stuff.

I remember one play this year against Kansas St. where he got off a block and made the tackle short of the goal line. They ended up kicking a FG. Last year, McGee would've watched that guy walk into the end zone.

This earns more trust for Golden and Co. You had all those kids leave early last year, that didn't buy into the system and cost themselves millions. Now you have a kid like McGee who bought in took his criticism like a man and helped his draft stock immensley.

Advertisement
Advertisement

He's not the most natural in the hips, but he's improved a lot with his technique and his confidence.

I'm with you on Day 3, but combine, pro day, and workouts could lead him to a guy taken in Round 4...maybe sneak into 3. I gotta think a team or two falls in love with him.

It was all coach Williams with McGee. In a video you see them in the locker room in the final game and McGee gives coach Williams a huge hug and tells him man you helped me improve so much. Coach Williams is a **** of a DB coach and he's very underrated. He'll get the recognition here though when he develops guys like Tracy, Deon, Jenkins, Hope, Gunter, etc. I think he's a STUD.

Good for Brandon. I hope he gets picked up early in the draft and has a successful NFL career.

Why do we continue to see this happen?

Guys under performing in college, but they kick *** at the combines and get drafted??

Let's be fair here. He didn't just staart doing well now at the Sr. Bowl. While his first 3 years here were disappointing, his senior year was very solid. He was one of our lone bright spots on defense last season

It is true. Sam Shields is a HUGE example. Not sold on Brandon doing that but he easily had one of the fastest 40's of that class and it's looking like B Mcgee is on pace to do the same. Could you imagine if A. Patrick Peterson stayed home or B. Ray Ray balls out and is a top 5 safety come april?

Month or so ago I went to the site that had all the combine times and did an informal survey, and my guess is that we're the overall fastest team in the combine for all the years reported. (Goes back about ten.) We had some seriously fast guys, like DVD (one of the top 3 I think) and a slew of other guys in the 4.3 to 4.4 range. I think we had more of the really fast guys than did FSU or UF, or any other school. Even world-class sprinter John Capel was only at a 4.39, as I recall. That's fast, but not as fast as some guys we had. I think DVD was around 4.25 or so. There were only a few other guys that fast.

I am surprised at the 4.58 which I suspect is nonsense. This kid should kill it in the 40, and be at least low to mid 4.4's, I think. That should be enough for a serious look.

Advertisement
Back