Marcellius Pulliam Portal

Advertisement
I am fine with this...but under this formula..Mario can never miss on any recruiting class. Meaning he needs to bring in top 5 or at worst top 7 recruiting classes every cycle or if he swings and misses even for one cycle..we are screwed and have to 100% rely on the portal to fill in the talent gaps. Bama could throw guys from the boat every offseason because they had 5* kids coming behind 5* kids like a revolving door.
Pretty sure that’s been Mario’s goal since day one. We didn’t hire him to bring in 13th ranked classes.

Pretty sure that’s been Mario’s goal since day one. We didn’t hire him to bring in 13th ranked classes.
This is also why I don’t like just flatly pointing to class rankings

Those rankings can be manipulated. We loved the 23 class but there were holes at multiple positions. We were overloaded at others.

It’s like the 08 class being ranked #1 you could see the roster issues that class had despite the ranking

Our LB recruiting is on another level right now. I love it.

Tbh as things moved along I figured we would lose either Pulliam or Washington or maybe both. It’s just the numbers. Big fan of this kids potential but in all honesty that was moreso because he was the lowest ranked recruit in that entire class

Would have liked to have guys like this on special teams waiting their turn but those days are pretty much dead unless we are winning big
"waiting their turn but those days are pretty much dead unless we are winning big"

I pretty much agree with what you said.
One thing I will say is that kids don't seem to be waiting in teams that are winning big either.

"waiting their turn but those days are pretty much dead unless we are winning big"

One thing I will say is that kids don't seem to be waiting in teams that are winning big either.
Yeah I am at a point where I dont think these kids care as much about national titles either. They are after NIL and exposure for NFL purposes and if a national title comes with that...even better. For example, UGA lost Jermaine Burton one year and Bear Alexander the next...both times right after winning the title.

Advertisement
Million dollar question right there. Can you imagine trying to coach in this era? Insane
I mean honestly, if MC (and every other head coach in the P4) doesn't have an assistant specifically for roster and portal management, they are insane. There is just way too much that happens way too fast for a head coach to be on top of all of it.

I mean honestly, if MC (and every other head coach in the P4) doesn't have an assistant specifically for roster and portal management, they are insane. There is just way too much that happens way too fast for a head coach to be on top of all of it.
I thought that was Andrew Rodgers job?

Yeah I am at a point where I dont think these kids care as much about national titles either. They are after NIL and exposure for NFL purposes and if a national title comes with that...even better. For example, UGA lost Jermaine Burton one year and Bear Alexander the next...both times right after winning the title.
If a player is not getting staring or getting significant playing time on the two deep by year two....hold you breath. Even then they might be tempted.

No big deal bro we jus brought in got 2 years an put up numbers. Jus glad it was Popo, Washington twin or Pruitt!

Advertisement
Liked him a lot I’d take him over the Louisville transfer in a heartbeat with a staff that would develop him
He's not willing to stick around and be developed, and he's not ready for a big role on a team that is looking to make a splash in the playoff conversation this season.

Quite the opposite. Why not take MORE prospects including 3 stars. Maybe you strike gold on a few. And if the rest suck, you can immediately process them out.

They use to have the 25 signing limit to avoid this situation. They didn't want the Bamas of the world to just oversign and process out the trash immediately.

Well, seems like that's no longer a restriction. So if you like a 3 star with tools, why not take a flyer and if he's not showing signs by year 2, cut bait.

It's definitely a strategy to consider.

Also with respect to Pulliam, highly doubt he was processed out. This one is just the player wanting a clearer road to the field.

I believe he played the middle so it’s a different position to what Pruitt plays. And I don’t believe Hayes past him. I think he has everything to do with waiting and Popo being the better player for this team with them playing pretty much the same spot.

This.

Liked him a lot I’d take him over the Louisville transfer in a heartbeat with a staff that would develop him
Alderman is an already made, established, starting caliber ACC linebacker. Started most games for a team that ran through most of the ACC in the first year under Brohm.

You'd take a deep bench backup that was 3-stars, recruited by a guy thats not even here anymore over him? KJ Cloyd was a backup at Louisville and sat down most of our linebackers last year.

Alderman is going to push Bissainthe for playing time next year. He's not competing with the deep bench developmental types we have.

Advertisement

I agree. I haven’t kept up too much with teams outside Miami to make blanket statements but it’s a wild time

I think that’s part of it that people gloss over. This is a learning process for everyone

Alderman is an already made, established, starting caliber ACC linebacker. Started most games for a team that ran through most of the ACC in the first year under Brohm.

You'd take a deep bench backup that was 3-stars, recruited by a guy thats not even here anymore over him? KJ Cloyd was a backup at Louisville and sat down most of our linebackers last year.

Alderman is going to push Bissainthe for playing time next year. He's not competing with the deep bench developmental types we have.
Alderman is pretty much going to be Corey Flagg for us this year. He’ll be the first LB sub and will get significant playing time even though Wes is the starter.

Advertisement
I agree. I haven’t kept up too much with teams outside Miami to make blanket statements but it’s a wild time

I think that’s part of it that people gloss over. This is a learning process for everyone
It's very difficult to keep up with for me and I sincerely salute the people here that seem to be on top if it.
I can't say to what degree but I've seen kids from Georgia, Oregon etc jumping in.
It's a deadly combination....impressionable impatient kids and interested influantial adults telling them they shouldn't be patient imo

It's very difficult to keep up with for me and I sincerely salute the people here that seem to be on top if it.
I can't say to what degree but I've seen kids from Georgia, Oregon etc jumping in.
It's a deadly combination....impressionable impatient kids and interested influantial adults telling them they shouldn't be patient imo
I am not going to go through and do a player by player analysis but if you look at the sheer size of some of these classes this year, now that the 25 cap has been blown up it has to have a direct correlation to decent amounts of portal entries. According to 247 the "overall" recruit ranking (which includes HS and transfers) is as follows:

UGA 37 commits
Bama - 40 commits
Oregon - 38 commits
Miami - 40 commits
FSU 39 commits
Oklahoma - 42 commits

So assume your traditional 20-28 HS kids, teams are averaging bringing in another 9-20 kids via the portal which means a good amount have to dip. If you bring in 40 kids (assuming you were at or near the 85 cap) you are replacing roughly 50% of your team in one year.

I am not going to go through and do a player by player analysis but if you look at the sheer size of some of these classes this year, now that the 25 cap has been blown up it has to have a direct correlation to decent amounts of portal entries. According to 247 the "overall" recruit ranking (which includes HS and transfers) is as follows:

UGA 37 commits
Bama - 40 commits
Oregon - 38 commits
Miami - 40 commits
FSU 39 commits
Oklahoma - 42 commits

So assume your traditional 20-28 HS kids, teams are averaging bringing in another 9-20 kids via the portal which means a good amount have to dip. If you bring in 40 kids (assuming you were at or near the 85 cap) you are replacing roughly 50% of your team in one year.
Great point. Didn't connect over signing with the increased portal but it makes sense to me.

Don't like pushing out promising young players and keeping Chase Smith around if it was one or the other. If this was strictly tied to Alderman... then I don't care. I liked that addition.
But you know better than this brother. #1 do you think Chase Smith is delusional at this point? Do you think he still envisions himself as 100% I'm going to the league? Or maybe he simply is content where he is and trying to get some reps but also enjoying being a coed student at the University of Miami in the nil era? We can't just tell a kid you're cut. Time to pack up. We can spell out for him right and left you ain't getting no reps. But it's still on him to say I'm outta here. Pulliam knows he's good enough to go somewhere and play now and be developed now to work his way through live reps towards the league. With us right now he's the back end of the second unit at best. More likely 3rd team. And by the time this coming class gets here it's going further behind. Realistically speaking neither him or Chase Smith has a future with us. Chase smith though is perfectly fine with that.

Advertisement
Back