YOU GUYS SEEN THIS ****

I don't know, the number sounds suspiciously made-up (25-30 recruits, $25-30 million). I mean, it COULD be true, but every single player getting a million?

Now, on the other hand, if Jimbo had simply given Candy $1M per year to commit to him, he would still be in Tally...
Yeah I’m not commenting on the number as much as TAM having a specific plan for NIL. I have a feeling that we will see this more and more as the norm at many schools.

Advertisement
Yeah I’m not commenting on the number as much as TAM having a specific plan for NIL. I have a feeling that we will see this more and more as the norm at many schools.

I agree with that. The NCAA has about six months to do something, and after that, all the obviously-paid-for players begin to play.

Not mad, just a little jealous. It’s within the rules the NC2A has made. They opened up Pandora’s box. These recruits aren’t going to TAM for the great life/experience. They weren’t before the NILs were set up. It’s just public now. It’s another arms race and we need to be willing to pony up. We have a lot to sell at Miami, especially under this new regime. We don’t need to outspend the TAMs of the world, but we need to be competitive.

Advertisement
I've done what I can for this program, but, regrettably, I just don't have that kind of money.
How dare you not be a billionaire!

tv show spoilers GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Im not surprised at all. I figured, at some schools, it happened the same way before the NIL, just without a LLC.

I'm just waiting for one kid to mess up on NSD and come out and say 'I'll be attending (school) because they offered the most"
Agreed but would that kid really be messing up if it's "legal"? We've seen the pics of recruits with cash and cars for years from SEC schools and didn't mean a thing.

It seemed to me this whole time it was more important to have bag willing donors than a specific city, and we were over valuing what this would do for the Miami and USCs of the league. People need to be willing to throw away money for wins, not intelligently advertise for the dollars to get big in NIL. In a big city there are better advertising investments like pro teams, actors, artists, models etc if you want a spokesperson and aren't a highly invested alum prepared to take a loss. All things equal, sure a bigger city presents more opportunity. But I am not betting on Miami out paying on NIL compared to mega boosters in cities that are smaller, so it is going to be the same fight as before - selling history, location, and to some extent private education experience.

It was obvious to a few of us that this was exactly what was gonna happen. But some here couldn’t get past their own Miami shades. Nobody cares about Miami unless they’re good and they aren’t willing to spend to make that happen. There’s too many better options at their disposal. The rich guys at these schools in the middle of nowhere, live and die by it. And have much deeper pockets.

Advertisement
Whether or not this specific news is true is irrelevant. The NIL decision triggered the inevitable professionalization of college sports. Now boosters don't need to hide their bags, they can expense them as marketing costs for whatever businesses they own. If they don't own a business, they can create one and run it at a loss to reduce their income tax. We know it's coming, the only thing that's surprising is how quickly the money is jumping in.

The real question becomes whether or not major media markets like Miami will counteract and ultimately dwarf the booster money out there. I think it will. But Mario has his work cut out for him.

Only so many kids can play on the field... these guys will get a big bag and transfer after a year if they aren't playing. I've never been to college station but I'm not sure how much of a culture fit it would be for south florida kids.

Advertisement
Back