What am I missing?

Advertisement
Thanks

Also we don’t get stopped when we need 1-3 yards on the ground for a first down or a TD. Ever.
Said this many times during the Va Tech game on the drive where Bell was called for holding and then Cam threw a pick next play. It’s 3rd and goal on the 3. Run it with Fletcher or Martinez for 2 downs if you can’t get in then you don’t deserve to win. Bring in 4 tight ends and let Lofton lead the way.

But yea 3rd and short I know it’s pretty much an automatic first down.

Said this many times during the Va Tech game on the drive where Bell was called for holding and then Cam threw a pick next play. It’s 3rd and goal on the 3. Run it with Fletcher or Martinez for 2 downs if you can’t get in then you don’t deserve to win. Bring in 4 tight ends and let Lofton lead the way.

But yea 3rd and short I know it’s pretty much an automatic first down.
I just see a lot of people trying to position themselves to say “I told you so” and you can get on a soapbox about being a “realist”

And if we never get stopped on offense then those comments will never be addressed

It’s a win win for them

He’s the highest paid RB on the roster most likely. So he’ll probably keep starting.

I just think he isn’t a great fit for our up the gut run plays we only run. It requires the RB to quickly come up and figure out other holes to bounce too.

He’s a really good pass catcher tho.. he’s been great bailing us out there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I look at our RB room and see Fletcher average 6 yards per carry, Lyle 7.2, Allen 8.4, Johnson 5.2, Wheatley-Humphrey 7 and Martinez 4.4 and wonder why Martinez has almost twice as many carries as the other RB's. I am disappointed to see our main ball carrier only has 292 yards halfway through the season. Is Martinez that much better at blocking to jusitfy him carrying the load? We have Home Run hitters sitting on the bench, Lyle has the only real breakaway TD run of 91 yards. We know how good Fletcher is based on his performance last year against Clemson and Lyle has been a pleasant surprise and we know Johnson is super fast, so what am I missing?

Is one of these on our bench?
late night lol GIF by The Rundown with Robin Thede

The running attack looked fine the first half against Cal. Combined we were 18-110 yards and a TD in the first half. It broke down to

Martinez 8-33 yards l. 2 of the touches were short yardage needed plays
Fletcher 8-73 1 TD
Lyle 2-4

Second half we only carried it 6-7 times due to needing the hurry up O.

Martinez is getting around 11 touches a game with
Fletcher a little over 6. Fletcher is better going out of the shotgun. Martinez I believe is being misused and should be getting his touches out of the pistol or I.

One other thing is the running attack doesn’t feel like it’s part of the offensive rhythm. We’ll come out spread out in 11 set personnel and throw it a bunch and then collapse the formation in tight and run the ball between the guards. I don’t know if they didn’t have confidence in the left side of the line to do certain things or if the running attack is just that unimaginative? Will be interesting, with Rivers coming back, to see if they do anything differently.

I also get the sense they are doing everything they can to keep the RB room fresh. Knowing this has the potential to be a 16+ game season there is no need to “go with the hot hand” and give someone 25 carries a game.

Advertisement
I think in this offense, more value is being placed on pass protection. For obvious reasons. Not saying the guy is immune from criticism; it is just worth noting.

I was kinda hoping Lyle would play his way into more touches by now. Wonder if it's a blocking/playbook thing with him.

CJ is speed, but currently a one-screen pony. Would love to see him in the slot running 9s and clearing out space, but first he has to be perceived as a threat.

I still hold out hope that as teams start scheming more for Cam's arm, some of these running lanes are gonna open up. Getting Rivers back is not nothing either.
The deal with playing TF is they tend to **** up in big moments. It's nice to ahve a vet who has played in a bunch of high pressure situations and has maybe already made those mistakes and learned from them.

Advertisement
Let’s also remember that Martinez is not only a pretty good receiver and has made huge plays catching the ball against VT and Cal, but he is also an excellent pass blocker, and has been great in short yardage (admittedly Fletcher is all of these things as well).

Martinez is a very good all round RB. He’s just not explosive.

Let's not forget some basic concepts of statistics - outliers and sample size. The larger the sample size, the "truer" conculsion can be drawn generally speaking. As it applies here, Martinez has almost doubled up Fletcher for carries. There have also been several short TD runs that work against the yards per carry figure. 4.4 ypc is not elite as it stands alone, but it's also not bad. The outlier factor comes in when you look at the Ajay Allen and Jordan Lyle yardage. Half of Allen's yardage came on two carries....against Ball State. Similar concept with Lyle, but against USF (including the 91 yarder). If Martinez breaks a couple runs in the next few weeks and the others continue getting minimal carries against better competition, their averages will likely be a lot closer by the end of the season.

Also, as already mentioned, Martinez has done pretty well catching passes. He's solid asf pass blocking as well.

But Martinez runs tough, doesn't fumble and he catches the ball well. Glad we got different guys to go to.
This. This. This.

I find the tough running he does is the difference between last year and this year. Those short yardage plays that UM was stuffed on repeatedly last year aren't happening this year.

Get me those 1st downs, young man. That's all I care about.

Advertisement
I've been one of Martinez's biggest defenders - but I'm about done with him.

He's been doing a bad Le'veon Bell imitation all year. He keeps hop, skip & jumping towards the LOS like a schoolgirl at recess. His size is negated if there's no momentum behind it.

I don't think it's scheme related. I went back and looked at his Freshman year, and he was just hitting the LOS harder even out of 1 back shotgun sets.

Oregon St fans thought he started doing too much dancing his Sophomore year (5.4 ypc vs P4) than he did his Freshman year (6.3 ypc vs P4). That's continued his Junior year (4.1 ypc vs P4). Bottom line - he started really strong but appears to be regressing.

I still think Martinez is our best RB once he has a head of steam. So if he decides to actually start, you know...running - then he can be our RB1. I keep thinking he'll figure it out, but we're 6 games in and he hasn't, so I think Fletcher needs to start getting a majority of the carries.

We need better run execution from the entire offense. Half-way through the season we're in pretty good shape but could be more physical at the LOS.

Each of our top 3 RBs has a role and can get the job done, but I'd focus on the other 9 dudes in the running game.

I agree with the others that Martinez can be an excellent RB, but our offensive scheme/formation does not work well for him. He needs to build a head of steam to be at his best and that's hard to do from the Shotgun. But the coaches are doing the best thing since Cam is our best player, so we have to run the formation that fits him, not Martinez.

Advertisement
Back