VT at MIA (-3.5) 7PM Tuesday 1/31/2023 ESPNU

Pack had a great second half. Two threes were wide open threes on busted defensive assignments. The others were pure shooting talent.

IMO Pack should get a whole lot more screens up high to get him some shooting space. Seems all the screening up high is for Wong.

I'm not understanding why L doesn't use Omier or Miller up high to screen for Pack.

Advertisement
I posted something a couple weeks ago after he had the first game of this current run where he looked like himself and said something to the effect of "if we can get this version of Pack, we'll be dangerous". He's been lights out for 2-3 weeks now.

I still don't like how we close games, we have to do a better job of getting the ball into the good free throw shooters' hands late in games, and Miller dribbled one off his foot with about a minute left, but this team has a nice nucleus to make another run in March. Good guards, excellent shooters, a big who can defend and rebound (even if he's not really that big), and a stretch kid in Miller who is really versatile. Gotta find a way to win the last minute of games and this team can make some noise again. They were just so steady at the end of games last year, it's kinda jarring to see the chaos this team plays with late. But it's only January. For another couple hours, anyway.

If they can somehow win a road game at Clemson Saturday and then take care of business at home Monday against Duke, the ACC regular season title is certainly within reach.
Great points! I think these close wins and nervy late game situations helps them in March. Not many teams have played so many close games with the last 3mins being so pivotal as we have. In March everything is heightened and I like this team and Coach L to outperform any team if it’s close late.

I said last year’s team wouldn’t surprise me if we lost first game or made a run. This year I’m more confident in making it at least past the first game and hopefully we have a good matchup for round of 32.

Excited to see this team grow. Saturday is big. Monday is big either way considering we need to beat Duke to mitigate tie break. They’ll be coming off the UNC game, so who knows how they’ll respond…

Advertisement
1675221033259.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Pack almost carried this team by himself in the last 5 minutes. Big time.
That's what makes this team so dangerous, multiple options. Pack is that secret weapon. When his shot is hitting, it's scary how quickly he puts up points. Miami hasn't had a guy that could shoot like this since Jack McClinton graduated. In the right offense, he would be a consistent factor, what L is running right now doesn't really help Pack. It helps Miller, Omier and Wong, but Pack needs things set up for him, because he isn't a plus athlete, he can't get his on his own.

8 more ACC games. Currently 8-4. Here they are:

@ Clemson
Duke
Louisville
@ UNC
Wake
@ VT
FSU
Pitt

I see at least 4 more sure-ish wins here (Lou, Wake, FSU, Pitt). Would love to split the other 4 if possible. We’ll see what happens.

Go Canes!

Miami 18-2 over the pasr few seasons at home with Ayers. He is really killing us
Context matters. I remember Miami once had a stretch where we couldn't lose with Karl Hess calling games, that is until you looked at the games in that stretch. In most of those games, they were early season OOC games, where Miami were winning by 20+. Once conference play started, and especially if it involved Duke or UNC, Karl became well, KARL HESS.

This game was an example of a game where the refs were equally crappy. That said, there were some egregiously bad calls, where they were anticipating calls, something that should never happen. Maybe we see more blown calls now because we can all rewind and everything is in 4k, but it's apparent now more than ever, college refs are very, very bad.

Advertisement
Back