Very, very early prediction but I'll put it on the line now

Almost every NFL team has RPO in their playbook. It's a constraint play that forces the defense to defend the width of the field, tighten their alignments in the secondary, and it gives the defense 2nd thoughts about blitzing or aggressively defending the run. It's not a foundation of an offense and it doesn't prohibit an offense from any formations, calls, philosophies, etc. You can do RPO out of shotgun spread or under center with 3 TEs and 2 backs. I don't know why the fanbase is so obsessed with it.

The most important traits for a QB to execute RPO are a quick set-up (footwork) and delivery (ball placement). Kaaya is better at those traits than Perry is regardless of whether Perry runs a full second faster 40 or not. Mobility and athleticism is barely relevant to running RPO, but footwork is and Perry's footwork is unrefined. RPO is not a factor in who starts for Miami in 2017.

If that's the case, I like Sherrifs' chances, because the coaches have said he has the best footwork of all the quarterbacks (including Kaaya but not Perry and Weldon).

Advertisement
I'd like to know why Perry is more naturally talented than Weldon, when Weldon is a better runner, runs a 4.5 or 4.6 and Perry runs a 4.8 or something, Weldon has a stronger arm, etc. etc. etc.

First of all, I don't buy Weldon running a 4.5 or 4.6. Mike Harley and Anthony McFarland were laser-timed at 4.52 and 4.53 respectively. Perry was timed at 4.86, but Deshaun Watson was timed at 4.89, and he's plenty fast.

Weldon has good mobility, but he doesn't seem to have the agility/change-of-direction Perry has.

They both have good arm talent, and make eye-popping throws. At this stage, Weldon is more polished and mechanically sound, but Perry's raw ability is impressive. In his tape, he was flicking deep balls off his back foot and dropping them in the bucket.

I think Perry has more room to grow (literally and figuratively). The key factor that we simply can't know is who makes the better decisions when the bullets are flying? Weldon has been described as a "gunslinger" and Perry has been compared to Bridgewater, who made good decisions with the football.

I'm excited for the competition. Weldon enrolling early is a big advantage. Hopefully Perry puts in a lot of work before he arrives in May.

Was this Florida all-star game televised? Did anybody see it?

Miami four-star quarterback commit N'Kosi Perry put on a show over the weekend.

Perry accounted for 192 yards of total offense and a touchdown in the 62nd annual FACA North-South All-Star Classic on Saturday.

The Ocala Vanguard standout was 11-of-16 passing for 152 yards. The touchdown pass came on a 17-yard dart to Notre Dame commit Jordan Pouncey in the first half. He also led the North team with 40 yards on the ground.

Miami QB Commit Perry Shines In All-Star Game - CBSSports.com

The last Miami QB recruit to blow everybody away at a season end All-Star game was .... Evan Shirreffs. Don't mean ****. Let's see how he look when he step onto Greentree.

Did he croot Pouncey?

Advertisement
perry plays weak competition. i dont expect a late enrollee who is undersized to come in and be ready for start at qb for a high level ACC team. sorry.

I heard Kaaya was great. Berrios was great. Trayone was great. Lets just let it play out. stop crowning people before they get on campus.

Can you imagine if we hear and then see that Rosier leads coming out of the spring? All the excuses that will be made. Specifically because we heard this past spring about how far behind he was and how bad he was in practice. Our insiders were "shocked" he won the backup job.
Our top insider made posts claiming Rosier wouldn't even be on the team in 2016. Then he was the top backup.

perry plays weak competition. i dont expect a late enrollee who is undersized to come in and be ready for start at qb for a high level ACC team. sorry.

I heard Kaaya was great. Berrios was great. Trayone was great. Lets just let it play out. stop crowning people before they get on campus.

Can you imagine if we hear and then see that Rosier leads coming out of the spring? All the excuses that will be made. Specifically because we heard this past spring about how far behind he was and how bad he was in practice. Our insiders were "shocked" he won the backup job.
Our top insider made posts claiming Rosier wouldn't even be on the team in 2016. Then he was the top backup.

Barely the backup. Struggled to beat a walk on.

Man, that's a pretty bold prediction Peter. I can't even imagine how the QB depth would shake out if that were to happen. Rosier would only stay if it were announced right before the first game and he thought he was in it. Allison and the Sheriff would most likely transfer out later on during bowl season.

Advertisement
I'd like to know why Perry is more naturally talented than Weldon, when Weldon is a better runner, runs a 4.5 or 4.6 and Perry runs a 4.8 or something, Weldon has a stronger arm, etc. etc. etc.

First of all, I don't buy Weldon running a 4.5 or 4.6. Mike Harley and Anthony McFarland were laser-timed at 4.52 and 4.53 respectively. Perry was timed at 4.86, but Deshaun Watson was timed at 4.89, and he's plenty fast.

Weldon has good mobility, but he doesn't seem to have the agility/change-of-direction Perry has.

They both have good arm talent, and make eye-popping throws. At this stage, Weldon is more polished and mechanically sound, but Perry's raw ability is impressive. In his tape, he was flicking deep balls off his back foot and dropping them in the bucket.

I think Perry has more room to grow (literally and figuratively). The key factor that we simply can't know is who makes the better decisions when the bullets are flying? Weldon has been described as a "gunslinger" and Perry has been compared to Bridgewater, who made good decisions with the football.

I'm excited for the competition. Weldon enrolling early is a big advantage. Hopefully Perry puts in a lot of work before he arrives in May.

I've seen it numerous places that he was timed at either somewhere in the 4.5s or 4.6s. I have no idea if it was Casey Weldon counting out loud or what, but it's been in Tampa, Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, etc. newspapers, and on at least one recruiting site. Again, no idea if the timing was accurate, but it was reported. Regardless, he's fast or fast for a QB, as mobile, or more mobile than Perry.

Little fact: If Perry was white everyone would be looking at his 1 yard per carry against weak HS competition as a red flag wondering if we're stuck with another lead-footed QB. Instead, we have dopes mentioning Lamar Jackson and Deshawn Watson.

I like Perry's potential. But unless he's a savant there is zero chance he enrolled in the summer and is comfortable enough running the whole offense to be the starter. Zero chance.

I saw Lamar Jackson as a senior against Central and never thought he'd start as a true freshman. Skinny and raw. He wasn't an EE, either. The game has changed to the point that this is entirely possible.

This.

Plus N'Kosi is further developed as a passer at the same stage.

Difference is massive between those two guys. Similar build. That's it.

Jackson as a freshmans did nothing but play scramble ball. He had some success as a freshmans solely because of his running and scrambling ability. Perry is nowhere near the runner Jackson is.

I've seen it numerous places that he was timed at either somewhere in the 4.5s or 4.6s. I have no idea if it was Casey Weldon counting out loud or what, but it's been in Tampa, Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, etc. newspapers, and on at least one recruiting site. Again, no idea if the timing was accurate, but it was reported. Regardless, he's fast or fast for a QB, as mobile, or more mobile than Perry.

I've seen the number, too, but I don't really put stock in 40s unless they're laser-timed (and even still there can be shenanigans). We always hear about guys running "4.3," then they go to the combine and run 4.49.

Cade can move for sure, but Perry looks like the more elusive player:

[video=youtube;pZ6P1FVKJ0k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ6P1FVKJ0k[/video]

Advertisement
I saw Lamar Jackson as a senior against Central and never thought he'd start as a true freshman. Skinny and raw. He wasn't an EE, either. The game has changed to the point that this is entirely possible.

This.

Plus N'Kosi is further developed as a passer at the same stage.

Difference is massive between those two guys. Similar build. That's it.

Jackson as a freshmans did nothing but play scramble ball. He had some success as a freshmans solely because of his running and scrambling ability. Perry is nowhere near the runner Jackson is.

Correct. LJ can be productive off true read option (1-2 reads) and run if he likes. He's very productive. Perry, otoh, isn't near the athlete that LJ is and won't have that in his ****nal. He'll have to rely on heavy simple read RPO and downfield passing - very different than what LJ had at his disposal, his freshman year.

Besides, LJ is the exception (rather than the norm) that a non EE true freshman can step in and excel like he has. Most other freshman that have either redshirted or were at least an EE.

Any chance Perry is getting scared of the c0ckstrong Weldon, and Pete was fed this fake scoop so that Perry doesn't bail out of the class and go elsewhere?

Perry might have watched Weldon's senior tape and heard his bravado and knows Weldon is coming in early. Maybe Perry's sniffing around entertaining Larry Snot's feelers.

Advertisement

I've seen the number, too, but I don't really put stock in 40s unless they're laser-timed (and even still there can be shenanigans). We always hear about guys running "4.3," then they go to the combine and run 4.49.

Perry has stupid pocket awareness he reminds me of tebow where they always looking to make a at throwing. I hate tebow though

He's going to get easy first downs easy easy with Mac and Walton and homer

Perry has stupid pocket awareness he reminds me of tebow where they always looking to make a at throwing. I hate tebow though

He's going to get easy first downs easy easy with Mac and Walton and homer

he is talented but he's playing weak competition. if people think he will come in as a true fresh and get away with that in ACC, we are nuts.

Must make Weldon feel good to hear that the "talk in the football offices" is that they've already tabbed Perry as the next QB.

I'm hoping this is buffoonish chatter and not at all true. I want to see a wide open competition at QB, and let the best man win. None of this predetermined nonsense based off hype.

I think that's everybody's issue. Regardless of who we all favor, at the end of it we just want a true competition and the best man to win. Not this picking favorites and predetermining the outcome amateur act

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have a true competition and still hope a certain player comes out on top. Its as simple as Perry being the most naturally talented, and the coaches hoping he wins the job as a freshman. Doesn't mean they are going to give him the job if he doesn't win it.
No you can't. And I'm not certain that Perry is more "naturally talented" than Weldon. Weldon is a better runner, might have a bigger arm, and he has a much better release.

Well he definitely has a quicker release, But I don't think its better. On many of his throws He gets really low when he loads up to throw it and he always keeps the ball low. His release is definitely more Philip Rivers than it is Peyton Manning. His entire motion just looks like he's going to overthrow a lot of balls to me because of the angle of his body and the low release point. I like how Perry stands tall in the pocket opposed to Weldon. I agree Weldon is a better runner, but that also just might be because right now he's like 25lbs heavier. One of Perrys top priorities needs to be getting stronger and trying to get up to 200lbs. I think they both are good enough at running, the difference really is Perry isn't as quick to scramble. Lastly it does look like Weldon has better velocity on the ball, but judging off thier HL tapes, Perry looks like he just flicks the ball 50 yards in the air, while Weldon looks like he puts everything into every throw. So I think Perry has more natural talent. It just seems like Weldon has to try harder to make the same throws.

Can you guys please stop overhyping some kid because of his high school highlight tape? ****. Its a highlight tape. I agree on this Jacory 2.0 talk. Just root for all these kids to have a great competition and let the best one win.

I don't get why Ariz had to start this thread. He had to know it would immediately divide the fanbase.

RPO is gimmicky. At the U we prefer a real pro style offense based on concepts that require the QB to be a real pro. This advantage makes use of every play making position on offense. That is why U are QB U, WR U, RB U and TE U. The U made this footprint before others have tried to duplicate it. To keep it going this RPO BS is not going to get it done. Result: Another UGA with years away from having a stud WR or TE. What we are use to and want is a system that pump stars out like factories and winning NC along the way!!!

Yeah, let's stay away from the "gimmick" that everybody is having success with on literally EVERY level of football, from high school to the NFL, so that we can go back to the days of running the ever innovative and confusing I-formation offense.

Who the **** wants four WR's who run 4.4 on the field at the same time when you can line-up with FB's and TE's?!?!

Advertisement
Back