TX A&M Game : Houston vs Austin

Advertisement
And now they are thinking about moving to Arlington Heights.

Traffic is going to be horrendous visiting my family that lives in the NW burbs on game days.
Well maybe the Bears will continue to stink and you will catch a small break :)

Me and my buddies heading to the game but Staying in Houston for the night drive up the morning of the game depending on time. We also booked two rooms in College Station so we don’t have to hassle of driving 1.5 hours back to Houston after the game. Btw booking rooms in college station is super expensive now because hotels take down the rooms booking in order for customers to call them for pricing. They consider all A&M big games Special Events during those weekends. I was quoted 340 per night a Marriott and 1k for Winham. Luckily my buddy had corporate discount and we were able to get a good deal.

Advertisement
I live in Austin and it all really depends on what you're looking for as many have said. Austin in the fall is a really expensive city to book a hotel room but Air BnB's are plentiful. Food and live music are great, and if you were looking to make a mini-vacation out of it, I'd recommend Austin over Houston given the amount of things to do in and around the area.

That said, Houston is closer, also has great food and is likely going to be less expensive to fly in and out of and book a hotel in.
6th Street is the ****.

Texas in August? I would think the game is going to take a lot out of you. I would make it easy.

That being said, Houston is by far the ugliest city I have ever been to but they have great restaurants there and it's low key fun as ****.

Austin is a very pretty city and neat and hip and cool and weird and sh*t, but it's low key white boy ****. It's a mix a hipsters, 35 year-olds on scooters and complete psycho rednecks. If you're one of those, do Austin, but I'd rather just kick it in ugly *** Houston

Nah, going with the wife and baby
If you are going with the family and trying to make travel easy, fly into IAH and stay in the woodlands (burbs with a small downtown area).

Close to the airport, so you will miss most of the Houston traffic. Will significantly cut down on the drive to/from College Station.

Advertisement
If you are going with the family and trying to make travel easy, fly into IAH and stay in the woodlands (burbs with a small downtown area).

Close to the airport, so you will miss most of the Houston traffic. Will significantly cut down on the drive to/from College Station.
Actually thats not a bad idea for the ones that want a nice lowkey time with a lot to do You can stay at the Westin or the Marriott at the Woodlands Waterway and there are a ton of restaurants and bars within walking distance. Hwy 99 is ez tag only so you will want to cut through the north.

Actually thats not a bad idea for the ones that want a nice lowkey time with a lot to do You can stay at the Westin or the Marriott at the Woodlands Waterway and there are a ton of restaurants and bars within walking distance. Hwy 99 is ez tag only so you will want to cut through the north.
I have a room booked in Woodlands and Willowbrook right now. My friends stayed at Willowbrook hotel but booked Woodlands in case better area. Which is better area to stay?

Advertisement
I have a room booked in Woodlands and Willowbrook right now. My friends stayed at Willowbrook hotel but booked Woodlands in case better area. Which is better area to stay?
The Woodlands is the better area. Willowbrook is fine if you plan on coming in Friday, eating dinner and going to College Station in the morning. There is not an entertainment district there. There is a mall and then a bunch of chain restaurants around it mostly. There is an In n Out there though if that’s your thing. In The Woodlands you have the Waterway Square and Market Street to walk around in with a ton of places to eat or get a drink. There is an amphitheater there like what ever the name of the West Palm one is now and Sammy Hagar is there Friday night if you like him. Even if you don’t want to pay to get in, you can sit in the park next door and listen.

The Woodlands is the better area. Willowbrook is fine if you plan on coming in Friday, eating dinner and going to College Station in the morning. There is not an entertainment district there. There is a mall and then a bunch of chain restaurants around it mostly. There is an In n Out there though if that’s your thing. In The Woodlands you have the Waterway Square and Market Street to walk around in with a ton of places to eat or get a drink. There is an amphitheater there like what ever the name of the West Palm one is now and Sammy Hagar is there Friday night if you like him. Even if you don’t want to pay to get in, you can sit in the park next door and listen.
Thanks!!

I've been to both, and it's Austin for me. And others have said, not particularly close.

However, it is possible that my memory of Houston is skewed negatively. Not only did I see the worst NCAACG in history, I also lost like $1500 betting Butler.

Austin, on the other hand...

We walked into a bar, and a girl grabbed my hand and pulled us to the bar. The bartender proceeded to blow 151 onto lit shots, to create a breathing fire/ fireball effect. All whilst an awesome band was jamming out. Great time in Austin.

Advertisement
Depends on your age.

Under 30, you'll have fun at College Station or Austin. If you're older, you'll just be a creep scoping out those co-eds at either spot and better served going to Houston.

Houston is the lamest big city I've ever visited and spread out as ****.

An option also would be Conroe, TX. They have a decent sized lake there and some adultimg bars that can be fun for the 30 plus crowds on the weekend.
Really? I thought Dallas was horrible when we played there several years ago.

I don’t even know where that is. How close is that to College Station, or are you just kidding and those are a couple of **** holes?
Not **** holes at all. Buda and Kyle are just south of Austin. If it gets too expensive in Austin, look at those two spots. I personally cannot stand Houston…just not for me. I’m already looking at Flights for the game though.

I’ve talked myself into going.

What’s the visitor section?

I’ll be staying in Austin.

Coming from SC Kansas, it’s a three day weekend for me.

Going to G Tech game, too.

Advertisement
Back