TX A&M Game : Houston vs Austin

Advertisement
Houston vs Austin

613CFE13-38A6-42AE-9C8A-9130E4F0C943.gif

Advertisement
Going to the game this year but there’s a debate as to where it would be better to stay for the weekend. **** no I’m not staying in college station. So if you have to pick one, Houston or Austin. Why?

Smart decision. College Station is an experience best passed on.

Lived in Houston, often visited Austin. You can get a Houston type experience in almost any other big city.

Austin is unique. Smaller yet with Big city conveniences, mixed with a distinctly different vibe. Both cities have diverse entertainment. Austin's is more concentrated. People are friendlier in Austin and more laid back.

Houston is frenetic sprawl you can find anything you want...you just haveto drivea long way to get there, Austin to me is just a lot cooler and hospitable. Especially for a short trip

Last edited:
Advertisement
Isn’t Austin the Central Texas BBQ Mecca?
they have franklin's. i don't think it's worth waiting 3+ hours for (just my opinion). i'm pretty partial to killen's in pearland, but there's great bbq everywhere. main thing is to not waste time on pork bbq since you can get that anywhere. brisket, beef ribs, and smoked sausage are the way to go in texas.

they have franklin's. i don't think it's worth waiting 3+ hours for (just my opinion). i'm pretty partial to killen's in pearland, but there's great bbq everywhere. main thing is to not waste time on pork bbq since you can get that anywhere. brisket, beef ribs, and smoked sausage are the way to go in texas.
Brisket is the way to go!!!!

Depends on your age.

Under 30, you'll have fun at College Station or Austin. If you're older, you'll just be a creep scoping out those co-eds at either spot and better served going to Houston.

Houston is the lamest big city I've ever visited and spread out as ****.

An option also would be Conroe, TX. They have a decent sized lake there and some adultimg bars that can be fun for the 30 plus crowds on the weekend.

Austin simply for Franklin BBQ. You MUST arrive 3 hours before lunch to get anything..............

For the UM-LSU game, we hit Franklin on Saturday morning. Got in line at 5:15, and we were the third group. Brought tailgate chairs. They don't open until 11, so I don't know that 8 am will really work, the line itself is slow once they are open, might want to arrive by 7 am. That weekend will be a UT home game, so it will be tough to get in. While we were waiting in line, a bunch of dipsh!tes in burnt orange oxfords/slacks and white boots/cowboy hats got in line. I'm thinking, "really, you can't wait to wear your Halloween costume until after you get your food?"

Valentina's is also daaaaammmmn good, and I think they are open for breakfast barbecue too. Split up your group. Send half to Franklin by 7 am, and send the other half to Valentina's for breakfast. Then converge at Franklin.

Oh, and bring a cooler. Every time we go to either Franklin or Valentina's, we buy pounds of meat, and my brother seals it and puts it in a big cooler. We then sous vide that stuff for months for tacos, nachos, you name it.

Advertisement
Gentlemen, its a great theoretical discussion, but as @TheOriginalCane pointed out, Austin is not a realistic choice.

We will probably (a) stay in NW Houston, (b) drive to Austin saturday morning, (c) gorge at Franklin/Valentina's, and (d) drive to College Station. This better not be a motherfvckin' noon game...

I agree on everything except the value of waiting in line at Franklin. They also have amazing turkey.

Advertisement

Pretty sure they several world renowned BBQ joints

Advertisement
Back