Thomas Brown blasts national perception of Miami

I can confirm this. I've been on USC's campus multiple times when I was in the Marine Corps. The area's sketchy as all ****.

Miami may not be the safest city, but the UM campus is located in Coral Gables of all places. Not comparable.

Thing is, when you're in the safe parts of Miami Dade, the bad parts are a world away as far as you're concerned. You'd have to drive a good hour/hour and a half to get into any sketchy neighborhood from campus.

Overtown is probably the most dangerous ghetto in the Southeastern United States and it's a lot less than an hour from UM. Overtown's probably as dangerous as any area in the globe except Ciudad Juarez. Even some areas of Coral Gables have a lot of crime.

With that being said UM is not in a bad neighborhood, unlike some other schools such as Temple and USCw.
How'd this *** inhaler get unband? Back just in time to **** on UM and spread fake hillbilly trash info about the area for the recruiting stretch run.

How is the fact that Overtown has a lot of crime fake hillbilly WVU trash?

Who said anything about WVU?

You think Caracas is safer than Overtown?

Advertisement
USC's campus is located right smack dab in the middle of Brim gang turf in South LA...

There's Bloods, Crips & 18th street in that whole surrounding area... At least Gables is some ways away from the rough parts of Miami, ****in USC is literally right across the street from Gang turf.

And truth be told, the players never have anything to worry about anyway, street dudes don't f*ck with athletes unless they give'em a reason too...

In fact, most real street dudes try to keep athletes out of trouble & steer them away from getting involved in crazy ****.

I can confirm this. I've been on USC's campus multiple times when I was in the Marine Corps. The area's sketchy as all ****.

Miami may not be the safest city, but the UM campus is located in Coral Gables of all places. Not comparable.

Thing is, when you're in the safe parts of Miami Dade, the bad parts are a world away as far as you're concerned. You'd have to drive a good hour/hour and a half to get into any sketchy neighborhood from campus.

Overtown is probably the most dangerous ghetto in the Southeastern United States and it's a lot less than an hour from UM. Overtown's probably as dangerous as any area in the globe except Ciudad Juarez. Even some areas of Coral Gables have a lot of crime.

With that being said UM is not in a bad neighborhood, unlike some other schools such as Temple and USCw.
How'd this *** inhaler get unband? Back just in time to **** on UM and spread fake hillbilly trash info about the area for the recruiting stretch run.

Good question.
I thought this piece of garbage was permanently out of here.
WTH is wrong with these mods?

And McFarland is not from a great area in Maryland. His school is, and own personal home might be, but the overall area isn't great, so I don't know why anyone is bringing him up.

Where is he from on Maryland? If he's from Prince George County, that has a lot of rough hoods, even MS13

Prince George's County

That's got a lot of rough areas. Pockets of PG are nice but Coral Gables is paradise compared to that.

I've lived in Maryland since 1983, several counties over the years including PG, and I've been
working in the PG area since I've moved up here.
Some areas in the county have gone down the toilet, especially when gentrification began in nearby DC,
pushing some of the troublemakers over the county line.
On the other hand, some areas are pretty nice.
PG is either no.1 or no.2 in USA pertaining to the number of blacks with college degrees.
McFarland's school is in Hyattsville, not too far from DC line.
For years that area was pretty bad with gangs and drugs going back and forth between
DC and PG, but I've heard it's gotten better over the years.
The UofMaryland is not too far from that area in College Park, and for years was subjected
to negative recruiting by many ACC schools, including UVA, with regards to surrounding
neighborhood, so I would think McFarland would not buy much of that garbage regarding
UM.
Most of the African-American folks I know in Maryland and DC have been to soFla and love
it down there.

This will cheer you up: Luther Campbell writing about how bad crime is in Miami Gardens.

Miami Gardens Has Gone From Middle-Class Dream For Black Residents To Total Embarrassment | Miami New Times

Look, bottom line, most big cities have dangerous ghettos. Coral Gables has just about the oddest mix I've seen in terms of tiny pockets of section 8 housing right in the middle of areas with multi million dollar mansions but overall is a really nice area. Coconut Grove is famous for Cocowalk and some super rich areas but there are definitely dangerous parts for folks who aren't paying attention to their surroundings at night (I didn't make up the story of my friend getting robbed at knife point there). Still, I'd say overall the area in the general vicinity of UM is nicer and safer than many areas around other college campuses (which tend to house poor college students so rents are cheap). Saying you live in Coral Gables is along the lines of saying you live in Beverly Hills.

And McFarland is not from a great area in Maryland. His school is, and own personal home might be, but the overall area isn't great, so I don't know why anyone is bringing him up.

Where is he from on Maryland? If he's from Prince George County, that has a lot of rough hoods, even MS13

Prince George's County

That's got a lot of rough areas. Pockets of PG are nice but Coral Gables is paradise compared to that.

I've lived in Maryland since 1983, several counties over the years including PG, and I've been
Some areas in the county have gone down the toilet, especially when gentrification began in nearby DC,
PG is either no.1 or no.2 in USA pertaining to the number of blacks with college degrees.
For years that area was pretty bad with gangs and drugs going back and forth between
The UofMaryland is not too far from that area in College Park, and for years was subjected
to negative recruiting by many ACC schools, including UVA, with regards to surrounding
neighborhood, so I would think McFarland would not buy much of that garbage regarding
UM.
Most of the African-American folks I know in Maryland and DC have been to soFla and love
it down there.

PG has good areas in Bowie and around College Park there is University Park and some parts of Riverdale that are more upscale. I agree with you. Having lived in DC, MD & VA for many years, people in the area like MacFarland and his parents are used to good areas being not too far from tough areas and wouldn't bite on that anti-Miami pitch. I'm sure they'll think Coral Gables is really nice like any normal people would.

My kids are in Montgomery County, BTW. Are you there too by chance?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Lol, nothing wrong with PGC. That's Baltimore you're thinking of.

EDIT: PGC is much worse than I thought, carry on.

Both have bad areas

Careful what you say, Baltimore is the Blue Lot of Maryland, and we take that **** real serious. [insert hashtag about bodybags or something]

I was born in Baltimore and have family that lives there

It gets a lot of bad press, but Baltimore is my kind of town.

Both have bad areas

Careful what you say, Baltimore is the Blue Lot of Maryland, and we take that **** real serious. [insert hashtag about bodybags or something]

Baltimore is only 40 miles northeast from DC, but a totally different world.
Folks in DC area tend to be more outward looking, folks in Baltimore are more
parochial, they have more of a neighborhood vibe and are very protective of their
city and sports teams.
For example, during the week leading up to the Ravens' last Super Bowl appearance,
when the Ray Lewis deer antler controversy broke, the local Baltimore tv and radio media
defended Lewis and instead attacked the national media. In fact, one of the bigger sports talk
stations even announced that they would not even discuss the lies being perpetuated about their
HOF LB.
Can you imagine the local scumbag soFla media defending one of our own?

Prince George's County

UM.
it down there.

PG has good areas in Bowie and around College Park there is University Park and some parts of Riverdale that are more upscale. I agree with you. Having lived in DC, MD & VA for many years, people in the area like MacFarland and his parents are used to good areas being not too far from tough areas and wouldn't bite on that anti-Miami pitch. I'm sure they'll think Coral Gables is really nice like any normal people would.

Montgomery is a nice area with excellent public and private schools.
Great place to have a family.
I lived in MontCo during the 1980s, not too far from Wooten high school.
Live in the Annapolis area these days.

This will cheer you up: Luther Campbell writing about how bad crime is in Miami Gardens.

Miami Gardens Has Gone From Middle-Class Dream For Black Residents To Total Embarrassment | Miami New Times

Look, bottom line, most big cities have dangerous ghettos. Coral Gables has just about the oddest mix I've seen in terms of tiny pockets of section 8 housing right in the middle of areas with multi million dollar mansions but overall is a really nice area. Coconut Grove is famous for Cocowalk and some super rich areas but there are definitely dangerous parts for folks who aren't paying attention to their surroundings at night (I didn't make up the story of my friend getting robbed at knife point there). Still, I'd say overall the area in the general vicinity of UM is nicer and safer than many areas around other college campuses (which tend to house poor college students so rents are cheap). Saying you live in Coral Gables is along the lines of saying you live in Beverly Hills.

Sounds like a well-run community.

Two weeks ago, Broward County Sheriff's deputies busted Miami Gardens Police Chief Stephen Johnson trying to buy two hookers.
And WPLG recently reported that City Manager Cameron Benson's pick for interim chief, Antonio Brooklen, was accused of sexual harassment by a former crime scene technician. The story also brought up sexual harassment complaints against Benson when he was Hollywood's city manager, as well as Miami Gardens Mayor Oliver Gilbert. Those complaints were dismissed.

Advertisement
Prince George's County

UM.
it down there.

Of course. My kids are in the Whitman HS area. Have friends by you as well. I remember an old co-worker's kid played Lacrosse at Broad Neck.

Both have bad areas

I think [MENTION=5094]Notsince1985[/MENTION] was probably an old school Pikesville kind of guy.

UM.
it down there.

Of course. My kids are in the Whitman HS area. Have friends by you as well. I remember an old co-worker's kid played Lacrosse at Broad Neck.

Yeah, lacrosse is a big-deal around these parts although hoops is big too with the African-American kids.
Sounds like your co-worker lived in the Arnold area.
Whitman HS is a very strong academic school.
DO NOT LEAVE THE AREA!

UM.
it down there.

Yeah, lacrosse is a big-deal around these parts although hoops is big too with the African-American kids.
Sounds like your co-worker lived in the Arnold area.
Whitman HS is a very strong academic school.
DO NOT LEAVE THE AREA!

They're staying put. I'm in Richmond and get them very often

Advertisement
Both have bad areas

I think [MENTION=5094]Notsince1985[/MENTION] was probably an old school Pikesville kind of guy.

My family did live there for a time, near Reisterstown Road, but I lived in Columbia. My family lives in Owings Mills now.

Last edited:

My family did live there for a time, near Reisterstown Road, but I lived in Columbia. My family lives in Owings Mills now.

I know those areas, but especially Howard County by Ellicott City.

I know those areas, but especially Howard County by Ellicott City.

I had a friend in college from Ellicott City

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back