Thad Franklin......

2) You say you hate comps - so why do you continue over and over to comp RB's to other RB's who are nowhere near their Size/Speed/Ability level? Why were you on a podcast last week saying Jordan Lyle's size & movement comps to Willis McGahee? If you hate the style comparisons, then why aren't you giving an impact comparison instead?

Lyle is a perfect example. First, I said on the show that it was someone on staff's comparison, not my own. And then I gave several more disclaimers just to avoid a disingenuous quote or aggregation. And yet, here we are.

A running style comparison is not an impact or talent comparison. Knighton is a one-cut, upright, North-South runner who thrives off acceleration and rarely jukes guys or runs them over. Similar in style to Cook. He is not as big or good as Cook, which is why I never called him the top back in the nation like I did with Cook since his sophomore year.

@DMoney - Between Yearby/Franklin/Parrish/Knighton - do you have the ability on any of them to say "yeah, I said they'd be a stud but I just overrated their talent/ability. I simply misevaluated them"?
I'm happy to go through them one by one.

Thad was the biggest miss of the group. I thought he'd be the best of the four, and he was the worst. Didn't see him as a first-round type, but a multiyear 1K back in the Big 10 mold. The biggest mistake in that evaluation is that I assumed he would lean out in college and ignored red flags with his body that were signs of poor work ethic.

Yearby was exactly as projected. A good college back with size/speed limitations.

Parrish is somewhere in the middle. I thought he'd be a 1K back, and he's more of a good back in a great rotation. I thought he'd have more long runs (at the college level) even with his 4.5-4.6 speed.

Knighton has made explosive plays (6 TDs over 30+ yards), but I thought he would be more muscular. He was verified at 5'9, 185 in high school but didn't seem anywhere near that upon arrival. There was some work ethic concerns that played out in strength and conditioning. I was expecting closer to Ahmad Bradshaw-type impact.

Advertisement
Running for 2,000+ yds in 1 season in SFL doesn't mean what you think it means (Look at the RB's below)

IMO - you look at those numbers and are willing to overlook the red flags.

@DMoney - Here's the last Miami RB's with 2k HS seasons in SFL, Your Comp, and their Red Flags:

Joe Yearby = Gio Bernard - Size & Speed
Henry Parrish = Kevin Smith - Size & Speed
Jaylan Knighton = Dalvin Cook - Size & Too Physical
Thad Franklin = Frank Gore - Speed & Lack of Physicality

It's not about intangibles - it's about identifying what will & won't translate at the next level.
There is one bust on that list and its Franklin.

The other 3 appear to be solid college football players. I would put probably a level above jag.

Not super stars but solid players before you go allMark Walton on me. lol

Lyle is a perfect example. First, I said on the show that it was someone on staff's comparison, not my own. And then I gave several more disclaimers just to avoid a disingenuous quote or aggregation. And yet, here we are.

A running style comparison is not an impact or talent comparison. Knighton is a one-cut, upright, North-South runner who thrives off acceleration and rarely jukes guys or runs them over. Similar in style to Cook. He is not as big or good as Cook, which is why I never called him the top back in the nation like I did with Cook since his sophomore year.

Thad was the biggest miss of the group. I thought he'd be the best of the four, and he was the worst. Didn't see him as a first-round type, but a multiyear 1K back in the Big 10 mold. The biggest mistake in that evaluation is that I assumed he would lean out in college and ignored red flags with his body that were signs of poor work ethic.

Yearby was exactly as projected. A good college back with size/speed limitations.

Parrish is somewhere in the middle. I thought he'd be a 1K back, and he's more of a good back in a great rotation. I thought he'd have more long runs (at the college level) even with his 4.5-4.6 speed.

Knighton has made explosive plays (6 TDs over 30+ yards), but I thought he would be more muscular. He was verified at 5'9, 185 in high school but didn't seem anywhere near that upon arrival. There was some work ethic concerns that played out in strength and conditioning. I was expecting closer to Ahmad Bradshaw-type impact.
Lyle's running style reminds me of Mark Walton. Forget the size difference, just the running style... eerily similar

Advertisement
There is one bust on that list and its Franklin.

The other 3 appear to be solid college football players. I would put probably a level above jag.

Not super stars but solid players before you go allMark Walton on me. lol
But all 4 are misses/bad evaluations right?

Like - if we bring in 4 RB's who are billed as "studs" - then we get 1 bust & 3 "a level above jag" players, then we're really not recruiting correctly, right?

If I said Mark Fletcher & Jordan Lyle are "a level above jag" RB's, can you even see that as a possibility?

My point is you can keep saying every SFL RB we bring in is going to be a stud, and eventually you'll be right. But there's no thought behind it. You're just blindly throwing darts. There's no value or point in making an evaluation or giving an opinion at all.

Last edited:
No, no - Walton put up 2,700+ yds in his whole HS career

These RB's put 2,000+ yds in a single HS season - Yearby, Parrish, Knighton, Franklin

Looking at that list - wouldn't the logical way to think be "maybe 2k in one season isn't as great of an accomplishment as you might think / doesn't automatically mean that RB a stud"?
I purely posted that for my own sick pleasure

Pay me no mind

I appreciate your post prospect evaluation. While I may disagree with your evaluations - I applaud you for owning an adjusted more realistic view of these RB's.

As for the Lyle comparison - I'd ask when repeating something you heard, if you don't want to get aggregated, then follow up by giving your actual thoughts.

You've seen Jordan Lyle up close recently, so:

Do you think Lyle built like 220 lb McGahee? If not, what weight do you think he is now & what do you think he'll eventually play at?

Do you think Lyle moves like McGahee? It seems like you you think he moves like Mark Walton

You thought Walton was a Day 2 starting NFL RB/Good #2 RB, right? Do you think Lyle has a similar talent/impact level?

Who would be your style, or talent level, or impact comparison?

I appreciate your post prospect evaluation. While I may disagree with your evaluations - I applaud you for owning an adjusted more realistic view of these RB's.

As for the Lyle comparison - I'd ask when repeating something you heard, if you don't want to get aggregated, then follow up by giving your actual thoughts.

You've seen Jordan Lyle up close recently, so:

Do you think Lyle built like 220 lb McGahee? If not, what weight do you think he is now & what do you think he'll eventually play at?

Do you think Lyle moves like McGahee? It seems like you you think he moves like Mark Walton

You thought Walton was a Day 2 starting NFL RB/Good #2 RB, right? Do you think Lyle has a similar talent/impact level?

Who would be your style, or talent level, or impact comparison?
His running style reminds me of Walton, although I think he's a better, more balanced runner. I don't know if he's as complete of a football player yet. Lyle is also bigger than I expected. He's not as fast as McGahee so I don't agree with that comparison.

Based on what I've seen to this point, I think he will be a very good college back who gets drafted and plays in the pros. Not a first round, elite player, but very good with the ability to run for 1K yards/5+ ypc as lead back or close to it as part of a committee.

Advertisement
No. Parrish just got scooped from us by a Top 10 team and an elite offense. He is a take and someone we didn't want to lose.

Yearby is a take as a second back.

The other two I wouldn't want because of work ethic issues, but Knighton is productive enough to merit a take as a change-of-pace back.

Like - if we bring in 4 RB's who are billed as "studs" - then we get 1 bust & 3 "a level above jag" players, then we're really not recruiting correctly, right?

If I said Mark Fletcher & Jordan Lyle are "a level above jag" RB's, can you even see that as a possibility?

My point is you can keep saying every SFL RB we bring in is going to be a stud, and eventually you'll be right. But there's no thought behind it. You're just blindly throwing darts. There's no value or point in making an evaluation or giving an opinion at all.
i dont consider solid players misses or bad evals. In what world is a 1k rusher a bad eval though?.

In that case there would be what 2-5 good rb evals a year maybe....

Naw a bad eval would be Franklin. None of those other 3 were bad evals in my opinion.

Mark Fletcher and Jordan Lyle i dont really see the connection other than being from s.fla...i guess you can comp Fletcher with Thad as big backs maybe?.

Advertisement
Because this University has had a bad habit of giving playing time to players that do not deserve it. Guy was a Coker Country Club Special.

Here's Miami's 2021 backfield. Sometimes there are no good options.

Knighton - 145 carries at Miami (in 8 games). 136 carries at SMU (in 12 games)
Cody Brown - 34 carries at Miami. 2 carries at UVA. In the portal.
Thad Franklin - 23 carries at Miami. 12 carries at Louisiana-Monroe. Transferred to FAMU.

No. Parrish just got scooped from us by a Top 10 team and an elite offense. He is a take and someone we didn't want to lose.

Yearby is a take as a second back.

The other two I wouldn't want because of work ethic issues, but Knighton is productive enough to merit a take as a change-of-pace back.
I was trying to be nice when I only mentioned Gio Bernard.

Your actual Yearby scouting report was:

Warrick Dunn - vision & feet
Gio Bernard - pass catching
Duke Johnson - intangibles
Bishop Sankey-like career (1st RB drafted in 2014)

You didn't think Yearby was a solid #2. You thought he was a stud starter. Just own it my man.

1718233477844.png

1718233892277.png

Advertisement
I’m a sucker for productive So FL RBs. I was bamboozled by Burns, Choc, Chaney, Franklin. Loved Duke and Miller … and all the guys under Butch/Coker/Chud/Solly obviously. Wanted Bernard and Cook.

It’s not a bad failure rate as long as you’re taking one or two a year (and going national for the other one when only taking one S FL RB. But of course some are going to flame out and some will only be decent not great.

I’m a sucker for productive So FL RBs. I was bamboozled by Burns, Choc, Chaney, Franklin. Loved Duke and Miller … and all the guys under Butch/Coker/Chud/Solly obviously. Wanted Bernard and Cook.

It’s not a bad failure rate as long as you’re taking one or two a year (and going national for the other one when only taking one S FL RB. But of course some are going to flame out and some will only be decent not great.

Choc played qb, wr in high school sort of like a slower version of Jason Geathers.
Burns i dont know i was always indifferent on him but (injuries)
Chaney (injuries) he will likely put up numbers for Louisvile.
Franklin (food/desire)

Yea Im with you you grab what u can get but just target the est to fit your scheme yearly.

Pringle has juice...dude is one cut and out,,and gfast as **** to the hole

Advertisement
Back