Thad Franklin......

We probably just have different definitions of "studs". IMO Duke & Lamar are the last 2 studs we've had - and Fletcher isn't in their category.

I'm not saying Fletcher is off the table - but from what I've seen he's still got a ways to go.

In general - you're more generous with SFL & Miami RB's than I am. And as I've said - I think our SFL RB's abilities have been overrated for a while now.

But we're overdue. We'll eventually get one. Keep saying it and it's bound to be right at some point.
As a true freshman Lamar Miller was redshirted, as a true freshman Mark Fletcher had 500 yds and 5 tds and left alot of yards out there in my opinion to that will come with more experience. (same as lamar his first year starting)

I think Martinez is good work for him because down the road i see him possible as that sort of back. Love to see him recruiting himt o the u and hope he is hip to hip (pause) with him from summer to december.

He wont have Lamar's burner's but he is likely already a tougher runner than Lamar who i have as a stud category as well, but Lamar would admit to you he ha didnt like getting hit or physicality etc...Fletcher can bring that..Lamar had power back size but used more so escapability.

Im a tad bit more generous im not overboard i dont think. I like guys outside of s.fla all the time...**** you were the one that led me to the PA/NJ area that has had a random amount of top rbs through the years.

Locally this year i only like Byron Louis and i would take

before him gun to my head.

Advertisement
I think as south Florida offenses have become more and more pass happy, a lot of the super athletes that might have played running back in the past are playing receiver now. I don’t blame them either. You take much less of a beating and are far more likely to get drafted early as a WR than a RB.
They only run inside ozne since they have gotten pass happy with the spread. They dont know how to call anything else.

Hence the defenses arent prepared to face teams that line up and play power football or run different counters etc...

Miami Norland with a super team last year ran through dade...and got beat by Tampa Berkley who just lined up an ran the ball down on them..it was embarassing considering norland had 4 -5 div 1 dl and more at lb and had no clue what to do...Berk may have had 1 g5 level OL ....it was so bad i wanted us to recruit Berk running back i think we even offered the kid lol

100% agree.

Cooper's Pre-ACL numbers are almost identical to Yearby & Parrish (I completely agree on that comp)

IMO - All 3 are very similar talents and it's just a matter of preference on how you rank them.

View attachment 291615
I think Yearby and Parrish were closer stylistically in their running styles. Cooper, for whatever reason, would break tackles when he was in a pile but in the open field................just fall over himself

I think Yearby and Parrish were closer stylistically in their running styles. Cooper, for whatever reason, would break tackles when he was in a pile but in the open field................just fall over himself
You just described Parrish, although I agree that Cooper was also awful in the open field. I think Cooper had that ability to avoid getting tackled in a pile, but he wasn't breaking tackles. He was just slipping thru them. The defenders never really got a hold of him. Whereas Parrish would bulldoze someone in a pile, but then go down at the slightest contact in the open field.

As a true freshman Lamar Miller was redshirted, as a true freshman Mark Fletcher had 500 yds and 5 tds and left alot of yards out there in my opinion to that will come with more experience. (same as lamar his first year starting)

I think Martinez is good work for him because down the road i see him possible as that sort of back. Love to see him recruiting himt o the u and hope he is hip to hip (pause) with him from summer to december.

He wont have Lamar's burner's but he is likely already a tougher runner than Lamar who i have as a stud category as well, but Lamar would admit to you he ha didnt like getting hit or physicality etc...Fletcher can bring that..Lamar had power back size but used more so escapability.

Im a tad bit more generous im not overboard i dont think. I like guys outside of s.fla all the time...**** you were the one that led me to the PA/NJ area that has had a random amount of top rbs through the years.

Locally this year i only like Byron Louis and i would take

before him gun to my head.

I don't think you're overly generous, I just think you focus more on the best possible outcome whereas I focus more on the red flags, what needs/can improve. My overall point is almost all "he dominated SFL" RB's (Top 500 ranked) the last 10 years haven't become dominant college RB's (except James Cook), so we can't use that assumption for Fletcher or Lyle.

I don't think Lamar Miller & Fletcher should be comped at all. They're completely different players. We should be comparing Fletcher to Martinez. My hope for Fletcher is he can learn and adjust his style from watching Martinez.

If I were coaching Fletcher the two things I'd have him work on are:

1) Use your stiffarm - a stiffarm should be one of the main weapons for a big RB. Fletcher never holds the ball in his left arm (legit not one time), so when he runs left, a stiff arm isn't even an option for him. Switching hands is an effectiveness thing, not a ball security thing.

2) Get upfield with a purpose - force = mass x acceleration. Fletcher absolutely kills his acceleration on a lot of runs, which negates his size. Quit coming to dead stops on your runs. Quit D'Andre Swift dead legging. Quit making multiple left/right cuts when facing a defender in the open field. Get upfield, keep your momentum/acceleration & win with power. Embrace your size.

These are 2 things under Fletchers control, regardless of blocking and play calling, that I think he needs to improve on, and is what Martinez does better & why Martinez is more effective.

My hope for Fletcher is some other big backs in the ACC - Omarion Hampton & Phil Mafah, were really pretty average until half way through their Sophomore years. I think 80% if a RB is big time, you see it right away, but those are the 2 RB's I'd point to for hope.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back